Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#674567  by Tom V

I was on the PATH today and there was a billboard depicting all the new things coming to PATH in the next few years, they showed the new PA-5 cars, the new Calatrava PATH hub and they also had three renderings of a new above ground PATH station. It didn't mention where it was but I'm assuming it's Harrison as it's above ground, this depiction was of an elevated station. I Googled "New Harrison PATH station" and sure enough the PA announced they will be building a new Harrison station sometime in the future, I wish I could find those renderings I saw online so I could post them here.

The folks in Harrison are going to be getting a really nice new station, the thing is huge (from the Renderings).
 #674696  by OportRailfan

This is also due to the fact that they're going to have a brand new soccer stadium right next to the station...
 #675079  by R36 Combine Coach

Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. Basically a jr. version of the new WTC. The current Harrison station is a classic Art Deco design from 1937 (dating from the same time as Newark Penn Station), why mess with a good thing?
 #675086  by fredct

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. Basically a jr. version of the new WTC. The current Harrison station is a classic Art Deco design from 1937 (dating from the same time as Newark Penn Station), why mess with a good thing?
Because its rundown, ugly, and dangerous looking?

Not saying the drawings don't like overdone (although, they often do look fancier than the end-product turns out to be), but, the place is in desperate needs or a makeover.
 #677446  by RWERN

That station appears to be needlessly extravagant. I'm sure that it'll probably be toned down but I cannot see why anyone would build such an enormous structure that for all practical purposes is just a huge roof. A waiting area is one thing, but really...
 #677619  by R36 Combine Coach

The New York Red Bulls (soccer club) are moving into Harrison in 2010 so perhaps the new station is being built to accomodate the new stadium. But modest improvements to the 1937 station would be good enough.
 #681726  by Kamen Rider

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Ugly. Ugly. Ugly. Basically a jr. version of the new WTC. The current Harrison station is a classic Art Deco design from 1937 (dating from the same time as Newark Penn Station), why mess with a good thing?
becuase art deco is no longer a "good thing" from an design point of view. these days it's all about a light steel framwork with a LOT of glass.
 #682130  by korbermeister

I can't even see the whole thing so i don't agree that it's ugly but it DOES call to mind what I like to call 'the stegasaurus' at the wtc. Personally, i think that they could build a giant outhouse as the new harrison station and it would be better than what they have now. When you step off the train in harrison, you think that you've accidently taken the crazy-train to Camden
 #691315  by blasito

The newly redesigned PATH website has some more information about the new Harrison Station:

Station Modernization

Opened in 1913, Harrison Station is ready for a massive face-lift as it readies for its centennial. Conceptual designs call for sleek, glass-and-steel covered pavilions for passengers to replace the current, aging cantilevered-roofs that do not cover the entire platform. The modern look of the new station is expected to blend well with the area’s planned residential and commercial developments and new sports stadium.

Four modern entrances will improve access, while a new waiting area will provide a new information booth and more comfortable seating. Retail space also will be part of the indoor amenities. Outside, there will be landscaped plazas and passengers will find a more convenient drop-off and pick-up area. All together, these improvements promise an enhanced experience for riders as Harrison’s station enters its second century.
 #700757  by korbermeister

RWERN wrote:That station appears to be needlessly extravagant. I'm sure that it'll probably be toned down but I cannot see why anyone would build such an enormous structure that for all practical purposes is just a huge roof. A waiting area is one thing, but really...
if you had gone to the soccer game in the meadowlands via the meadowlands rail line you would have seen why. the secaucus stop was jam packed with fans waiting to get on the train going to giants stadium, with a majority of them coming from nyc. the current station at harrison won't be able to handle the crowds when the stadium opens. And this doesn't even include the new housing and such that they plan to eventually build around this station. They're building for future harrison
 #700975  by OportRailfan

I wasn't through the area on PATH in a while, and I recently saw that the parking deck sprung up, what seemed to me, as overnight. looks like it was prefabbed and they just threw it together in a week. Looks good. I'll take pictures next time through the area.
 #701469  by R36 Combine Coach

blasito wrote:The newly redesigned PATH website has some more information about the new Harrison Station:
Opened in 1913, Harrison Station is ready for a massive face-lift as it readies for its centennial.
Slightly misleading, as the current station was built in 1937 when the H&M was realigned to serve Newark Penn Station, after Park Place closed.
 #702262  by ascotell

It was a pre-fab construction of the parking deck i would not be suprised to see it opened soon!