Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#824151  by M&Eman

I'd like to see Harrison's ridership numbers at the end of this year and see how large an increase has been seen due to Red Bull Arena. I wonder if it is enough for Harrison to cease to be PATH's least used station.
 #824489  by JCGUY

Red Bull's stadium only seats about 25,000. The Red Bulls have 15 home games, add in maybe another 10 possible dates for playoffs and exhibitions, and maybe you get 25 dates. I'm not aware that it's used for much else. Also, not everyone who goes to games used PATH. Many drive or walk from Newark, including Newark Penn. The opening of the large garage by the station would probably be a larger generator of passengers. It also looks like much of the residential development is on hold for obvious economic reasons. That station is like Christopher Street without being underground, very antiquated and in need of replacement. Fwiw., I highly recommend checking out a game at Red Bull Arena. Soccer remains a niche sport, and they don't tend to come near to filling the place, but it's a nice facility they have there.
 #824491  by nyrmetros

http://www.app.com/article/20100705/NEW ... 00-million

"PATH upgrading stations to tune of $200 million"

and

http://www.northjersey.com/news/9778461 ... rails.html

"The improvements include:

* Expanding platforms along the Newark to World Trade Center line to accommodate 10-car trains, which will allow an additional 400 passengers per trip.

* Replacing the hard-to-hear loudspeaker system.

* Posting new, clearer signs and maps, enabling passengers to reach their destinations more quickly and easily.

* Adding new seating, lighting and flooring that officials say will make the wait in stations safer, more comfortable and visually appealing.

* Posting colorful murals featuring local landmarks at several PATH stations to cover the dirty, pale-colored walls."

as well as

"Big boost for Harrison

The Harrison station will undergo perhaps the most extensive overhaul of any in the PATH system, officials say. Sleek, glass-and-steel covered pavilions will replace the current, aging cantilevered-roofs that do not cover the boarding platform.

The $138 million remodeled station will provide more room for passengers who typically squeeze for a seat within the cramped quarters, or go outside and deal with the stifling heat or freezing cold.

The station has a closet-sized indoor waiting area with a bench that typically fills up in the wintertime during rush hour, or following a game at the new Red Bulls soccer stadium across the street.

The aging brick walls are beset with cracks and stains, as well as a small leak. A small, partially enclosed area has a space-heater-like system that riders say is not nearly enough.

"I think it looks crappy," Carey Glen of Maplewood said of the Harrison station. "It's more like a shanty. There's no room for anything, and it's desolate at night. It's not taken care of."

The modern look of the new station is expected to accommodate the area's planned residential and commercial developments as well as the Red Bull Arena, officials say.

"Mass transit over 40 years or so has continued to evolve, and you see train stations across the country are continuing to evolve," Baroni said. "We're doing the same with the PATH stations."
 #824547  by OportRailfan

JCGUY wrote: ...Christopher Street without being underground, very antiquated and in need of replacement...
Christopher street is in the works.
 #824580  by JCGUY

I had thought that there was a plan advanced about 10 years ago to add a second entrance to Christopher Street, and that the plan had fallen through due to opposition in Greenwich Village. Is there something similar being planned that may actually happen?

The linked article asserts that the PATH stations are "dirty". I don't agree at all. The stations may have aged grime, but are generally not dirty at all, at least not by contrast to the MTA's stations. The main problem with the system is that it takes an incredibly long time to run what are, in mileage terms, very short routes.
 #824602  by nyrmetros

JCGUY wrote:The main problem with the system is that it takes an incredibly long time to run what are, in mileage terms, very short routes.
I absolutely agree with this. It can take around 45 minutes to get from 33rd to Harrison sometimes..... I can't understand why we have to transfer at Journal Square. After 100 years how come they haven't figured out how to run trains from 33rd to Newark ?
 #824732  by Marv95

Hard to do when there aren't multiple platforms at Penn Station unlike Journal Square and 33rd. And you already have NJT going into midtown, so what's the point.
 #824742  by OportRailfan

JCGUY wrote:I had thought that there was a plan advanced about 10 years ago to add a second entrance to Christopher Street, and that the plan had fallen through due to opposition in Greenwich Village. Is there something similar being planned that may actually happen?

The linked article asserts that the PATH stations are "dirty". I don't agree at all. The stations may have aged grime, but are generally not dirty at all, at least not by contrast to the MTA's stations. The main problem with the system is that it takes an incredibly long time to run what are, in mileage terms, very short routes.
Yeah, that plan for the second entrance has been shelved due to the public opposition in the area. Electrical upgrades are coming.
 #824744  by OportRailfan

nyrmetros wrote:
JCGUY wrote:The main problem with the system is that it takes an incredibly long time to run what are, in mileage terms, very short routes.
I absolutely agree with this. It can take around 45 minutes to get from 33rd to Harrison sometimes..... I can't understand why we have to transfer at Journal Square. After 100 years how come they haven't figured out how to run trains from 33rd to Newark ?
It's been well discussed before, there are storage track limitations west of Journal Square; thus there is no need for that service to continue west of JSQ. They can't fit that many trains out in the the South St. yard - It's probably also the reason why the extension to EWR would've had a new yard there.
 #826531  by nyrmetros

When I've stopped at Hrrison during the week the garage has been full. I hope it's making $$. but the surrounding area def needs attention.
 #826977  by GreatOne2k7

Marv95 wrote:Hard to do when there aren't multiple platforms at Penn Station unlike Journal Square and 33rd. And you already have NJT going into midtown, so what's the point.
NJT is a lot more expensive than PATH.
 #827300  by Marv95

GreatOne2k7 wrote:
Marv95 wrote:Hard to do when there aren't multiple platforms at Penn Station unlike Journal Square and 33rd. And you already have NJT going into midtown, so what's the point.
NJT is a lot more expensive than PATH.
And faster. Besides, the tourists and NYC-lovers can afford it