Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#210463  by rail10

what is the type of sound that is used to signal doors opening and closingon the nyc subway?
 #210481  by Allan

rail10 wrote:what is the type of sound that is used to signal doors opening and closingon the nyc subway?
A simple "Ding-Dong".

#210555  by arrow

Or nothing at all on the R32, R38, R40, and R42 cars. Don't forget the "Stand clear of the closing doors, please" on the R142.

#210833  by Majinvegeta

Robert Paniagua wrote:The R142s and newer equipment have the "musical bell" ding-dong, not the old style piano sound on the R44 thru R68A.
whoa i didnt know they were piano sounds on the r44 - r68 cars O_O. That answers my age old question xD. The new door chimes on the R142 cars are pretty awesome.

#210848  by arrow

The R142 sound is nice, but it's kind of pointless since it begins to sound when the doors are already half closed.

#211290  by Majinvegeta

arrow wrote:The R142 sound is nice, but it's kind of pointless since it begins to sound when the doors are already half closed.
agreed on ur statement. Just my opinion but i think it should be like the PATH train door chimes. Makes the sound first then closes
 #213205  by GeorgeF

rail10 wrote:what is the type of sound that is used to signal doors opening and closingon the nyc subway?
I'm musically challenged, but it sounds similar to WMATA's. Theirs was based on the first two notes of "Swing low, sweet chariot, comin' for to carry me home" - or something like that! :wink:

#213267  by arrow

The WMATA sound is exactly the R44 and R46 sound, with the exception of the WMATA's "Door's opening" and "Door's closing" voice that they use.

Oh, and by the way there is not door opening sound on any of the NYC Subway trains.

#213821  by Robert Paniagua

Oh, and by the way there is not door opening sound on any of the NYC Subway trains.

You're right, and none in Boston's MBTA cars. However, NYC cars should have an announcement to "watch the doors" in the older cars (the R142 and newer models already have those messages).

#216487  by Majinvegeta

There Should be Door Opening Sounds!!! That would be awesome =D

#216511  by arrow

There are door opening voices on the Philadelphia Market Line trains as well as the Washington Metro trains. There is a door opening sound (sounds like a door closing sound actually) on the WDW Monorail as well.

#216529  by NHRR WTBY

The reason for the "doors opening" and "doors closing" announcements on WMATA is that the system was designed and built to be 100% ADA compliant on every train, station and platform.

WMATA just concluded a contest to find a new voice for the Metro door announcements, one that was easier to understand. Seems some folks were upset that the transit system of the nation's capital was promoting a Hollywood actor. "Doors Closing" sounded too much like "George Clooney". No kidding.

#216579  by iamchris9119

One of my friends who has perfect pitch said the actual notes of the older "piano style" chimes are E and C.

#216788  by F40

Majinvegeta wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:The R142s and newer equipment have the "musical bell" ding-dong, not the old style piano sound on the R44 thru R68A.
whoa i didnt know they were piano sounds on the r44 - r68 cars O_O. That answers my age old question xD. The new door chimes on the R142 cars are pretty awesome.
Yep. They are also known as 'subway doorbells.' (I hope SubChat didn't coin this term.)

On the R46's, (it can happen on other piano-sounding chimed cars as well) chances are that the tone will be off-pitch (sounds like a mutilated chime, backwards chime, higher or lower octave chime, or no chime at all). Few cars actually are perfectly pitched. Also loudness of the chimes vary from car to car depending on their wear and tear.

On R142/A's, and R143's, the rear side [IIRC] of the train can hear two sets of doorbells if the conductor closes the first half of the train while the doors in the rear half are still closing. These also are the only cars that have a safety 'bounce-back' feature with the doors.