Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#216790  by arrow

F40 wrote:On R142/A's, and R143's, the rear side [IIRC] of the train can hear two sets of doorbells if the conductor closes the first half of the train while the doors in the rear half are still closing.
The motorman can hear the chimes each time the doors are being closed by the conductor, so that's why you are hearing this.

#233032  by bingdude

iamchris9119 wrote:One of my friends who has perfect pitch said the actual notes of the older "piano style" chimes are E and C.
Musically that's called a Third. And those two notes are also the last two notes of the NBC chimes.

I have noticed if two trains are on adjacent tracks (Local and Express) the musical pitch varies a little bit from car to car. Some are Eflat and B.

#233065  by orangeline

I recall my first ride on an R44 (D train to 161 St/River Av - Yankee Stadium) and was surprised to hear a tinny "ping pong" just before the doors closed. Even though it can't match the fuller sound of later cars, I think I like the R44 chimes best. No accounting for taste, I guess!
 #238978  by DCmetrogreen

The notes are actually E flat and B as said earlier.

WMATA cars go "doors opening" and open while dinging. Older cars go Ding-dong and then clack-clack-clack-Thud while newer doors glide open.

MBTA red line cars (01500-01700) go ding-ding in increasing pitch as the conductor closes each car's doors. I'm not sure about 1800's.

I heard that four different people do the four different announcements on the R-142's (opening, closing, stand clear, and stations)

#239533  by Robert Paniagua

The #3 Red Line Cars (01800s) also do Ding Ding. And when a member of the train crew wants to get on the PA, it does a Ding-Dong like the 01700s, 01400s, 0600s on the Blue Line and 01200s on the Orange Line.

The 015/1600s do not have a Ding-Dong when a crew member gets on the PAS. They just have the Ding-Ding when they were rehabbed in the late 80s.

#239593  by ryanov

R142's do not have a doors opening announcement.

#248395  by M1 9147

When the R44 went through GOH in 1990-91, the Bing Bong chime was replaced to match the R62 through R68A contracts. The R46's still use the original chimes, and due to the fading of the chime, the chimes all sound different in them. Noticably in some of the R62 through R68A equipment, some don't even work at all when broken, and I've noticed that from time to time.

#255715  by arrow

jofegan,

From this thread, there is a great website that has a lot of NYC subway sounds. I'm having trouble finding the ones that I have right now. This site has a ton of subway announcements, train sounds, and door closing tones.

http://subway.transitspot.com/sounds/

#258846  by Robert Paniagua

Nice website he has. I not only listened to the messed up R46 door chimes, but I also saw the videos as well including the 7 Train Express, and an R46 at Union Square.