Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#553176  by Tommy Meehan

pnaw did you try your search terms -- New Haven Line caternary replacement -- before posting your message? I tried 'em. Not too good. In a search of the Metro-North Forum I got one hit -your message. :(

In Advanced Search I got no hits.

Try it and see.
 #553296  by Passaic River Rat

Tommy Meehan wrote:The earlier thread referenced was last active three years and nine months ago! How far back do you have to search before you can ask a simple question?
FWIW, I'm trying to help by saving you the trouble of combing through all the old threads. That's why I include the links to the old threads. If you're curious about a subject that has already been discussed, quite often ad nauseum, then you have an easy way to get the information you're looking for, and then some.

I'm sorry if I came off hostile or obnoxious.
 #553861  by Otto Vondrak

There is nothing wrong with linking back to an old thread... especially if it contains detailed discussion. Likewise, there's no reason you can't add to that existing discussion. We're not trying to stop conversation... we're trying to decrease repetition...
 #554256  by sullivan1985

The mall is located in a "delay in block" area between CP Harriman and CP Central Valley. Not only is the train operating on NORAC rule 504-B (restricted to 40mph) from making the stop in Harriman, now your adding another stop on top of that restriction. Until the Southern Tier has cab signals installed it's a waste of time. Plus a whole section of swamp would need to be filled in and I don't think that much work would be done for weekend riders only when a full station and park and ride facility exists only a few miles away.
 #554489  by TDowling

I'm coming to the conclusion that the topic isn't worth discussing until the ARC tunnels are built, well into the next decade. By then, the owners of the mall will probably see the advantage of attracting potential customers with a one-seat train ride from Manhattan and put that station up in five minutes themselves.
Last edited by TDowling on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #554642  by SecaucusJunction

sullivan1985 wrote:The mall is located in a "delay in block" area between CP Harriman and CP Central Valley. Not only is the train operating on NORAC rule 504-B (restricted to 40mph) from making the stop in Harriman, now your adding another stop on top of that restriction. Until the Southern Tier has cab signals installed it's a waste of time. Plus a whole section of swamp would need to be filled in and I don't think that much work would be done for weekend riders only when a full station and park and ride facility exists only a few miles away.
Does anybody think that Harriman station is in the dumbest spot possible? I understand that the station was built before a DIB rule but it was recently rebuilt. If they had just built the platform 75 feet south or ended the passing siding 100 feet to the north they wouldnt have had any problem with rules and they could have boarding on one platform instead of that small wooden walkway across the main track onto the siding.
 #567266  by SecaucusJunction

Metro North should either add a Summer weekend stop west of Port Jervis station or provide a shuttle bus a few miles up the Delaware River to provide service for the thousands of people who go rafting down the Delaware every weekend during the Summer. The PJ station itself is withing walking distance of places to end your rafting trip but there needs to be something to get you up the River. Of course the businesses that rent the rafts out wont be the happiest but it would save you $40 a head to rent a raft and get a shuttle as well as the gas to get there. Just a thought after rafting last weekend.
 #567320  by henry6

That would be an interesting marketing excercise as, you are right, there are many canoists and rafters who might like the idea. Bob Landers, the big "canoa" along the Upper Delaware, has shuttle buses and trucks for his business so he could be tagged on: train, canoe or raft, pick up, box lunch all in one ticket! If there were a way to add a baggage car for those who have thier own canoes, etc., the better, especially if you can get the train to Sparrowbush (end of MNRR/NJT rights). But just hooking up with Bob Landers you can do at the regular Port Jervis station.
 #567404  by Erie-Lackawanna

SecaucusJunction wrote:Metro North should either add a Summer weekend stop west of Port Jervis station or provide a shuttle bus a few miles up the Delaware River to provide service for the thousands of people who go rafting down the Delaware every weekend during the Summer. The PJ station itself is withing walking distance of places to end your rafting trip but there needs to be something to get you up the River. Of course the businesses that rent the rafts out wont be the happiest but it would save you $40 a head to rent a raft and get a shuttle as well as the gas to get there. Just a thought after rafting last weekend.
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/getaways/o ... yriver.htm

Jim
 #567663  by SecaucusJunction

Yeah but I was hoping they wouldnt be involved with Kittattinny (sp?) so that you wouldnt have to rent one of their rafts to get down the river. I'll get my own raft and it would pay off within 2 trips down the river. I guess its not to be.
 #567779  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like theyre gonna be busing again past Middletown for the next 3 months or so. Anyone know what they are doing and where they are doing it this time?

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... entId=5204
 #567891  by Erie-Lackawanna

So you and Henry6 run your own train with a baggage car all the way up to Pond Eddy (or better yet, Narrowsburg), put that raft you'll buy in your baggage car on your train to Pond Eddy or Narrowsburg, and you'll be all set.

For the rest of us who can't afford to do all that, we'll make do with the next best thing, which can be found at the link I posted earlier.

Jim