Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Erie-Lackawanna

Um, actually, it doesn't...so I will.

The work begins with rail replacement on the controlled siding between GD (CP Howells) and OV. After that is complete, CWR will be installed on track 1 and track 1 will be surfaced between BC and Port Jervis. Finally, the production surfacing gang will work from MP 59 to GD.

Jim
  by henry6

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:So you and Henry6 run your own train with a baggage car all the way up to Pond Eddy (or better yet, Narrowsburg), put that raft you'll buy in your baggage car on your train to Pond Eddy or Narrowsburg, and you'll be all set.

For the rest of us who can't afford to do all that, we'll make do with the next best thing, which can be found at the link I posted earlier.

Jim
I didn't say that!!!! Reread both of my posting on this matter! I said run to Sparrowbush, the west end of the yard at Port Jervis, if possible otherwise Port Jervis station is ok. Bob Landers or whoever is running the concession on canoes and rafts meets the train and takes the people up river for the fun. If you don't want to pay Bob Landers and bring your own boat or float, it's up to you to get up river! And I acknowledged your link, too, BTW, and noted that I was glad to see that MNRR was ahead of us!! Don't put words and ideas in my posting I didn't say.
  by pnaw10

Henry, calm down. Jim wasn't putting words in your mouth... it's just was his way of showing, no matter what MNR offers, you just can't please all of the people all of the time.

You have to remember, the railroad's "getaways" usually involve regularly-scheduled trains as a way to boost weekend ridership. They don't run special trains (with baggage cars that MNR doesn't even have) specifically for people to go rafting on the river or biking in the mountains.

Whenever getaways promote events or places that aren't within walking distance of the destination station, MNR usually hooks up with a third-party vendor who handles the rest of the trip (in this case, Kittatinny Canoes). Now, I'd be willing to bet MNR didn't just randomly choose Kittatinny Canoes out of the phone book instead of this Bob Landers guy. It's very probable that Kittatinny Canoes paid MNR a pretty penny to be promoted on MNR's website, and for the priviledge of having MNR deliver customers right into their hands. After all, MNR isn't a tourism bureau; it's not the railroad's job to promote every single canoe operator in Port Jervis. All they want is a simple arrangement for people who may not necessarily be experts at canoeing, so they can just make their arrangements, go do it, and then go home and tell their friends what a great time they had in the "far reaches of upstate."

As far as bringing your own canoes, not an option because Metro-North doesn't have baggage cars. You could just call Joe Landers yourself.
  by henry6

pnaw10 wrote: You have to remember, the railroad's "getaways" usually involve regularly-scheduled trains as a way to boost weekend ridership. They don't run special trains (with baggage cars that MNR doesn't even have) specifically for people to go rafting on the river or biking in the mountains.

Whenever getaways promote events or places that aren't within walking distance of the destination station, MNR usually hooks up with a third-party vendor who handles the rest of the trip (in this case, Kittatinny Canoes). Now, I'd be willing to bet MNR didn't just randomly choose Kittatinny Canoes out of the phone book instead of this Bob Landers guy. It's very probable that Kittatinny Canoes paid MNR a pretty penny to be promoted on MNR's website, and for the priviledge of having MNR deliver customers right into their hands. After all, MNR isn't a tourism bureau; it's not the railroad's job to promote every single canoe operator in Port Jervis. All they want is a simple arrangement for people who may not necessarily be experts at canoeing, so they can just make their arrangements, go do it, and then go home and tell their friends what a great time they had in the "far reaches of upstate."

As far as bringing your own canoes, not an option because Metro-North doesn't have baggage cars. You could just call Joe Landers yourself.
What are you talking about? My statement about what could be "marketed" was conjecture, pure and simple, as called for in the discussion by the question posed. I chose Bob Landers because I see his signs, his trucks, his buses, etc up and down the river and not touting him per se` but was setting up a hypothetical situation based on the discussion . Someone posted the MNRR link with a package their marketing department has put together and I applauded it. Erie Lackawanna misstated my idea to include a train continuing west on the S.T. line which I did not. He was putting words (and ideas) in my statement which were'nt there. Quote me correctly or don't quote me at all. And of course MNRR doesn't have baggage cars, but if private individuals are expected to abandone thier cars and still bring along thier canoes, what kind of arrangement can or has to be made? Reread this thread from the begining then come back at me with your guns,
  by henry6

Actually MNRR's website is more forthcoming than NJT's:

Off-Peak Port Jervis Line Busing - Aug. 18 & 25, Sept. 4 & 5
Buses will replace the following off-peak trains between Port Jervis and Middletown stations on Mondays, August 18 & 25, Thursday, September 4, and Friday, September 5. This is to accommodate track work in the area.

--Traveling to Middletown, departing Port Jervis at 11:31 AM and 1:21 PM.

--Traveling to Port Jervis, departing Middletown at 10:09 AM and 11:40 AM.

Busing will follow train schedules.

We thank you for your patience during these improvements to our right-of-way.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

SecaucusJunction wrote:Metro North should either add a Summer weekend stop west of Port Jervis station
henry6 wrote:If there were a way to add a baggage car for those who have thier own canoes, etc.
Erie-Lackawanna wrote:So you and Henry6 run your own train with a baggage car all the way up to Pond Eddy (or better yet, Narrowsburg)
In case it's not clear, the "you" in my statement refers to SecaucusJunction. I attributed nothing to anyone who did not say it. Are we clear now?

My point is that, knowing AS WE ALL DO that Metro-North can't run west of Sparrowbush (hardly helpful for canoers), and that Metro-North doesn't own baggage cars (and wouldn't operate them if someone offered them for loan), both of you have gone into la-la land with your dreaming. Wake up and recognize the reality you've been dealt: Metro-North is a commuter operation, not a leisure/resort travel agency. It handles leisure travel in the off hours when capacity exists on its existing service. If you want baggage cars and service to a more convenient place to launch your canoes, talk to Amtrak and see if they'll help you. That's not Metro-North's business, and conjecture or not, it's a waste of everyone's time to talk like it could be done.

Jim
  by henry6

I don't think your assessment is correct or warrented. We were hypothosising, theorizing, throwning out ideas based on what people had said before us. You being the expert scheduler should, therfore, take over this thread and tell us exactly how it is done, exactly how you do it, and why nobody else can say anything that doesn't fit your thoughts.
  by SecaucusJunction

I was really speaking more of the many inflatable rafts going down the river that I could fit in my backpack. No need for luggage cars there. Nevertheless, maybe they could fit a few rafts into one of the empty cars they dont use on weekends?
  by henry6

SecaucusJunction wrote:I was really speaking more of the many inflatable rafts going down the river that I could fit in my backpack. No need for luggage cars there. Nevertheless, maybe they could fit a few rafts into one of the empty cars they dont use on weekends?
See if EL approves. Otherwise forget it.
  by SecaucusJunction

Does the main track between OV and Howells already have CWR? Will the new rail on the controlled siding be welded as well? Wow, it will be impressive to finally see CWR in Port Jervis after all these years... I bet they could care less about track 2
  by Erie-Lackawanna

Yes, yes, and...I can't speak for the Track Department. :)

Jim
  by Harriman Station

henry6 wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:I was really speaking more of the many inflatable rafts going down the river that I could fit in my backpack. No need for luggage cars there. Nevertheless, maybe they could fit a few rafts into one of the empty cars they dont use on weekends?
See if EL approves. Otherwise forget it.
How would you even get the rafts into the cars? Remember, with the exception of SJ and Rt. 17, the line is low level and the rafts would have to go up the stairs and around the tight corner into the car. Not to mention the delays in taking the time to load the rafts on to the train. And who would clean up the mess left by the rafts? (don't tell me the rafts are going to be clean and dry after a day of rafting) And, Henry6, what is your problem with Jim/EL? I, for one, am grateful for his contributions to this forum as a person with great insights as a person who works for Metro-North. I'm thankful Metro-North has set up the partnership it has, and do not know how they could be expected to do more.
  by braves

Does anyone know if the Port Jervis Line will get more off peak and more weekend service this coming October and if more service is coming, can someone post up on what the new schedules will look like.
  by Erie-Lackawanna

Something may be in the works for a mid-day off peak train outbound; implementation depends on funding availability and costs. No decision expected until later in September.

No weekend improvements this year.

Jim