Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#906991  by Clean Cab

Jeff Smith wrote:I vote for "Willoughby". It is in Connecticut after Norwalk of course. ;-)

And aren't there two Norwalks, and two Mt. Vernon's?

Everyone knows where "Willoughby" is............ it's in 1888!!

Yes, there is an East Norwalk and a South Norwalk, and there two Mt. Vernons (one on the Harlem and one on the New Haven) and every now and then a passenger gets them confused, but noting on the level of confusion between Brewster and Brewster North, which is why Brewster North was renamed Southeast.

I've also heard of passengers confusing Harrison with Garrison.
 #907187  by checkthedoorlight

Norwalk has 4 stations. So does Greenwich. This'll be Fairfield's third.

No, the best is Middletown. Two stations, same name, same system. You can buy a NJT ticket from Middletown, NY to Middletown, NJ. Gets even funner when you're doing a SEPTA transfer to Middletown, PA.

The one time I rode SEPTA, I was on an R7 to Trenton and there were a group of girls with tickets to Newark. Newark, DE!
 #907465  by Amtrak7

Middletown is an Amtrak station, not a SEPTA station.

Do SEPTA tickets even say "DE" for the Delaware stations, or just the station name?
 #907478  by DutchRailnut

yes when roads and parking lot are finished.
 #907486  by Clean Cab

MNCRR9000 wrote:Getting back on topic does anybody know when the new station is supposed to open?

The station itself is almost completed, but the parking lots won't be finished until this fall.
 #907497  by MNCRR9000

checkthedoorlight wrote:Actually, the platform signs say "Fairfield Metro" .... or is this another "West Redding" situation?

When is this station opening, anyway?
DutchRailnut wrote:When acces roads and parking are ready.
I should have gone back and looked back earlier in the thread.
The station itself is almost completed, but the parking lots won't be finished until this fall.
Thanks for the info cleancab.
 #907964  by MACTRAXX

Amtrak7 wrote:Middletown is an Amtrak station, not a SEPTA station.

Do SEPTA tickets even say "DE" for the Delaware stations, or just the station name?
A7: SEPTA tickets just show the digit of the zone they are valid to...Claymont and Wilmington are in Zone 4
Churchman's Crossing and Newark are in Zone 5. (off topic but answers question)

T538: Good video of the new Fairfield/Black Rock Station...it reminds me somewhat of the NJT Hamilton,NJ station on the NEC...

MACTRAXX
 #908979  by Train538

Thank you! I'll say it does!
 #912255  by Clean Cab

Even when this station opens, it will need brideplates over two of the tracks. Currently tracks 4 and 2 are out of service for overhead wire and underpass replacement. Once these two tracks are returned to service (sometime this fall) the other tracks (3 & 1) will be out for the same projects for over a year.
 #914181  by soctrr

If the station is scheduled to open this fall, when and where will some info be available on which trains will stop there? This new station is important to some people because it will be ADA compliant while the existing station is not. It is extremely difficult to get from one side to the other at the old station especially when trains can arrive or depart from either side. Also, parking permits have to be secured and it would help to know which trains will be available at each station. I was told existing parking permit holders will be given priority for the new station.
 #941546  by drewh

Theres lots of stations on the subway with the same name, 3 Kngs Hwys and 3 Av U's. Also 3 7th Ave's. Lots of others, not much confusion. In Nj, Allenhurst and Allendale, East Orange, S Orange, and Orange, Princeton and Princeton Jct.
 #941663  by Ridgefielder

drewh wrote:Theres lots of stations on the subway with the same name, 3 Kngs Hwys and 3 Av U's. Also 3 7th Ave's. Lots of others, not much confusion. In Nj, Allenhurst and Allendale, East Orange, S Orange, and Orange, Princeton and Princeton Jct.
Back in MNRR territory, Cannondale on the Danbury Branch was once "Cannon's;" the name was changed in New Haven days to avoid confusion with Canaan, since a through train to Pittsfield, MA would serve both stations.