Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train322

Does anyone know when Fairfield Metro is opening?
Nothing on the Nov 19 schedule and I could not find any mention on MTA.Info.

Are all the approvals (Red Tape, tracks out of service etc) get cleared?

thanks
  by DutchRailnut

hold up is not Metro North but either Town or state DOT. parking lot and lighting.
  by N4J

DutchRailnut wrote:hold up is not Metro North but either Town or state DOT. parking lot and lighting.
That sounds like the town , the state wouldn't have anything to do with the Parking lot and lighting...
  by DutchRailnut

Its State DOT that needs to approve the lot.
  by Clean Cab

The South St. underpass on track 4 in Bridgeport is still not finished. Once that is finished, FFM (Fairfield Metro) should be opened.
  by Clean Cab

Most likely MN will issue a revised New Haven Line train schedule. It would be my guess that almost all NH line trains will be stopping at FFM.
  by Jeff Smith

Darien Red Sox wrote:Now they are saying Dec. 5th

http://www.fairfieldcitizenonline.com/n ... 272672.php

Don't hold your breath.

What happens with the current schedule?
Fair use quote required per policy for above-linked article:
After more than a decade of planning and controversy that nearly caused the project to derail, state transportation officials said this week the train service is expected to begin at the new Fairfield Metro station on Monday, Dec. 5.

Judd Everhart, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation, confirmed the opening date in an email to the Fairfield Citizen.
  by Jeff Smith

Another update: http://www.minutemannewscenter.com/arti ... de=default
Fairfield finished its work on the town’s Third Train Station by an Oct. 31 deadline that was necessary if the town were to receive up to $3 million in extra payments from the state. Those payments were negotiated by First Selectman Mike Tetreau at the end of August. However, MetroNorth needs another few weeks to inspect the tracks, so, the opening of the Fairfield Metro station has been tentatively pushed forward to Dec. 1.

Fairfield finished its work on the town’s Third Train Station by an Oct. 31 deadline that was necessary if the town were to receive up to $3 million in extra payments from the state. Those payments were negotiated by First Selectman Mike Tetreau at the end of August. However, MetroNorth needs another few weeks to inspect the tracks, so, the opening of the Fairfield Metro station has been tentatively pushed forward to Dec. 1.
  by N4J

mntktagt wrote:$45 million for a train station is absurd !!

Stations in my opinion should only cost 2-3 Million....unless there High Speed Rail or Subway....then 4-6 Million $$$
  by oknazevad

And these numbers are based on what knowledge? Capital and infrastructure construction is an expensive proposition, especially in the northeast, where land acquisition is often difficult and pricey due to high demand and low availability of open space. Could they have built it cheaper than $45 million? Maybe, but I'm not privilege to the breakdown of costs involved. And unless you are, I'd say your opinion has no real basis.
  by DutchRailnut

and what is included in the $45 million ??
Parking lot, lighting, overpass, platforms, elevators, electronic display units, ticket machines, etc etc etc
add to that labor and flagging cost.
  by Clean Cab

$45 million is a bit high, but not outrageous. You couldn't even build a parking lot for $3 million!!!
  by alewifebp

Nexis4Jersey wrote:
mntktagt wrote:$45 million for a train station is absurd !!

Stations in my opinion should only cost 2-3 Million....unless there High Speed Rail or Subway....then 4-6 Million $$$
After property acquisition, that would give you a station equivalent to Appalachian Trail. $45 million sounds high but is in line with other such projects undertaken.