Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#990731  by andre

Amtrak7 wrote:All public crossings in MNR territory seeing regular passenger service should have gates. LIRR even gated a gravel road on the Main Line between Yaphank and Riverhead!

What other crossings on MNR have no gates? I think there's one on the Danbury.

theres one on the danbury where the old car factory is but the road is blocked with large concrete blocks to prevent access to the property... the others may be the few private driveways that cross the ROW to access one of the main roads that parallel the branch line
 #990765  by Clean Cab

Stop speculating on whether or not the flashers were operating. None of us were there to witness it. Don't post comments unless you either know, or have facts.
 #990768  by Railroader

Jeff Smith wrote:
However, I think a members earlier post is proper; let's not rule out the lights malfunctioning until the investigation is complete. It is indeed easy to assume driver error.
Investigation is complete, crossing was working as intended. If you want to see the report contact the MTA Police at
http://www.mta.info/mta/police/request.html#report
 #990858  by DutchRailnut

Amtrak7 wrote:All public crossings in MNR territory seeing regular passenger service should have gates. LIRR even gated a gravel road on the Main Line between Yaphank and Riverhead!

again its not MNCR that determines what type of crossing but road owner.
MNCR does not pay for protection the Road owner does, be it state, town or private.
 #992079  by Ridgefielder

andre wrote:

theres one on the danbury where the old car factory is but the road is blocked with large concrete blocks to prevent access to the property... the others may be the few private driveways that cross the ROW to access one of the main roads that parallel the branch line
Pretty sure there are more *un*gated than gated crossings on the Danbury. I know that both Portland Ave. and Depot Road (the crossings just south and north of the station in Branchville) lack gates. If Topstone Road and Long Ridge Road in Redding are gated, the gates have been installed within the last few months.
 #992096  by DutchRailnut

Long ridge road does NOT have gates, flashers only, but is slated to be redone.
South end of Branchville will be replaced soon.
Jennings place will get gates too in next few months.
North Mainstreet is now gone, but replacement road has gates but no road ;-)
 #1083469  by Jeff Smith

New Canaan branch tie replacement under way
Over the next few weeks, a crew with a small fleet of machines will be working up and down Metro-North Railroad's New Canaan branch, each machine executing a specific step in replacing railroad ties on the 7.9-mile rail spur.

Before the machinery grabbed and removed the spikes with their claws, workmen used sledge hammers to loosen up clips securing the rails to the ties, said Mike Hermance, assistant director of track for Metro-North's maintenance of way division.

The tie pullers were then followed Monday by a scrap loader, which uses magnets and a conveyor belt to gather the spikes and other metal for reuse or recycling, he said.

The project, which began last week, is expected to last until Oct. 5; it has required the replacement of off-peak rail service with bus shuttles from about 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

A tie exchanger and a tie shearer made progress removing the deteriorated wooden ties, Hermance said. The spikes are being replaced with screws, which are to remain for 30 to 40 years.
 #1192904  by runningwithscalpels

Yesterday I took a ride up the New Canaan branch and spent some time exploring the immediate area around the station. Does anyone know what that little building at the south end of the platform is/was used for?

This is what I'm talking about:
 #1192913  by DutchRailnut

believe its the taxi stand/dispatcher
 #1192942  by runningwithscalpels

Someone else I asked had suggested that's what it was used for at one point - sounds logical. Thanks ^_^
 #1193323  by Noel Weaver

That building definately was a taxi office. If the station was locked (no agent on duty at the time) the taxi office had a key so one whether it was taxi connected or railroad employee could go in and use the restroom. I wonder where the taxi office is now?
Noel Weaver
 #1193350  by runningwithscalpels

Thanks Noel!
Personally to me it didn't look like they're still using it for that, but maybe that's just because it was a Saturday afternoon.

There were cabs hanging around out front of the station though.
 #1193413  by DutchRailnut

These days taxi's no longer use dispatchers, its no longer one phone and a radio channel.
These day the company just forwards calls to their drivers on cellphone.
 #1193565  by Ridgefielder

For what it's worth, that building is pretty new-- it dates from the mid-90's renovation when the building was elevated to be level with the high-level platforms. Before then I think the taxi dispatcher was in the old baggage room-- can't remember for sure, though.