Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Tickets Via Smart Phone Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1114961  by sery2831

The phone does not need to be connected to cell phone service or wifi to use the ticket. Only to purchase the ticket, which should be done before you board the train.
 #1115117  by wicked

I used the app for the first time today.

Purchasing experience: Very easy. Entered in some data, quickly looked up my stations, ticket was bought in two minutes.

One thing I was interested about was how the T would make sure a ticket wasn't reused. Once you activate the ticket, you have 90 minutes to use it. In theory, I suppose you could go from point A to point B and back again, if the conductor didn't look very closely, but the e-ticket also does list the originating and destination stations.

One frustrating thing: As I was buying my ticket to go home, a call came in just after I'd hit the confirm purchase button. Even though I declined the call, the purchase process was terminated. I had to go through it all again. I'm hoping they can address that quirk in another build.
 #1156773  by tvachon

So, it's March 7th, coming up the end of the first three months (in my opinion the definition of "early" in terms if the year) and the update to allow monthly passes with subway access is no where to be seen or even an update on it.

We have seen fare gates all over the system converted to non-pass through which seemed to be an indicator, but the commuter rail connections have been like this for months. Will we ever see the full monthly pass in 2013?
 #1265777  by deathtopumpkins

Is the mTicket app down for anyone else this morning? All I can get on it is "Could not connect to the server" errors. Had to actually buy a paper ticket for the first time in forever.

Things like this are why I'm still wary of ever putting a monthly pass on the app - it's not 100% reliable, always leaving you with the need for a backup. Good thing I had money.
 #1265821  by sery2831

Not sure about an outage but as long as you have made the purchase before you board(not stressed in the APP), you do not need any sort of connection to use your ticket. So if you have a monthly pass it will always work.
 #1265914  by deathtopumpkins

sery2831 wrote:Not sure about an outage but as long as you have made the purchase before you board(not stressed in the APP), you do not need any sort of connection to use your ticket. So if you have a monthly pass it will always work.
Good point regarding the monthlies - I hadn't thought of that!

I don't normally have tickets pre-purchased for when I don't have a monthly (like right now) though. Maybe it'd be a good idea to start...
 #1265972  by sery2831

You do purchase it before you board though? Conductors do not have time to wait for phone purchases, it is actually requested you activate the ticket as soon as you sit down.
 #1266056  by deathtopumpkins

sery2831 wrote:You do purchase it before you board though? Conductors do not have time to wait for phone purchases, it is actually requested you activate the ticket as soon as you sit down.
Oh of course. Going inbound I usually buy it while at the station waiting for the train, or before I leave the house. Going outbound I usually buy it either on the subway or while waiting at North Station. Then activate it as soon as I'm in a seat.

I just meant I don't purchase tickets until it's time for me to go, rather than buying a bunch in advance and keeping them on my phone and using as needed.
 #1294374  by diburning

I used the app last week. Although I don't think MBCR had anything to do with the app, it shows up on my statement as "MBCR CMT RL TKT" with the address as "LOCAL SUBURBAN COMMUTER PASSENGER TRANSPORATION-FERRIES" and the phone number as the MBTA's main phone number (617-222-3200).
 #1465838  by leviramsey

The CTPS for 2015-17 has data on payment mode on the CR (not including RI)

Overall for CR:
77% of rides are monthly pass
21% of rides are single ride
2% are "other" (confused?)

Of the monthly passes:
99% of monthly passes were commuter rail/ferry passes (the remainder are the 2% of Lowell Line and 9% of Fairmount Line riders that use LinkPasses)

Of the single rides:
10% paid full cash fare on board (so 2% of ridership)
13% paid a reduced fare (cash on board?) (about 3% of ridership)
37% paid with mTicket (about 8% of ridership)
40% paid via CharlieTicket (about 8% of ridership)

The data is also broken down by line and station (or sometimes sets of adjacent stations) for anybody looking to do more analysis.

In terms of proportion of single ride tickets that are mTicket, the top stations are

JFK-UMass 74%
Roslindale 61%
Littleton 60%
Lowell, Lincoln 56% (tie)
Brandeis-Roberts, Middleborough-Lakeville (tie) 55%
W Roxbury 54%
Grafton/Westborough 53%
N Scituate 52%
Chelsea, Worcester, Natick, Forge Park (tie) 50%
Haverhill/Bradford 48%