Railroad Forums 

• Gov't Center Closure 2014 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1250091  by sery2831

While I agree with that, that's going to back things up getting everyone off at Park on the through track at the start. Hopefully they will have extra Inspectors at Park St to help with that.
 #1250106  by RailBus63

CRail wrote:Logistical note regarding Riverside trains: Trips terminating at Park Street will continue to loop at Government Center in order to enter the correct berth at Park Street.
They've flip-flopped the berths at Park Street westbound in the past to accomodate lines terminating there, particularly the Beacon Street service in the early 1980's.
 #1250132  by BowdoinStation

The Government Center closing is going to help Blue Line riders in a huge way... Think of the exercise riders are going to get at State Street Station walking from the inbound Blue Line platform to the southbound Orange Line platform to catch trains for Washington.. oops.. Downtown Crossing and points beyond.. :-D
 #1250261  by StefanW

This just hit the MassDOT site:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/InformationCenter/WeeklyNewsletters/RoadtoReformNewsletter02142014.aspx
MassDOT wrote: 02/14/2014
MBTA Government Center Station Closes March 22

The MBTA Government Center Station will be closed beginning on Saturday, March 22, 2014, for two years while crews upgrade the station into a fully accessible, safer, modern, more comfortable facility. The station will reopen in spring 2016.

The Government Center Station Improvements Project will combine improvements to the Green Line Station, Blue Line Station, and Cambridge Street/Government Center Plaza that will bring the station into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Green and Blue Line Station improvements will include a new head house structure as the primary entrance, raised platforms to provide accessible boarding of the Green Line trains, new elevators from the street to the Green Line level as well as from the Green Line level to the Blue Line level, new escalators, expanded fare collection area, and other mechanical, security, lighting and interior improvements. The project will also include reconstruction of Cambridge Street and a portion of City Hall Plaza in the vicinity of the Station to provide accessible paths of travel to the station.

During the station closure beginning on March 22, both Blue and Green Line trains will pass through Government Center Station but will not stop there. If your trip usually included Government Center Station, please allow an additional ten to fifteen minutes for your travel.

The recommended path of travel for Green Line customers desiring access to the Blue Line is to travel to Haymarket Station and transfer to the Orange Line toward Forest Hills (southbound). Customers should transfer to the Orange Line at State Street Station for Blue Line connections. The recommended path of travel for Blue Line customers desiring access to the Green Line is to travel to State Street and transfer to the Orange Line toward Oak Grove (northbound). Customers should then transfer at Haymarket Station for Green Line connections.

To learn more about the project including walking directions to other stations and follow the project during construction, please visit the project website: http://www.mbta.com/govcenter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1250267  by MBTA3247

deathtopumpkins wrote:The left hand inbound track at Park St can only access the B and E berths on the outbound side then, correct? Wasn't there supposed to be some work to change that?
You're thinking of the plan to connect Track 3 to Track 4 immediately east of the station so cars to Government Center and beyond can use either track at Park St.
 #1250274  by octr202

CRail wrote:Logistical note regarding Riverside trains: Trips terminating at Park Street will continue to loop at Government Center in order to enter the correct berth at Park Street.
Is there some other reason (capacity of the Park St loop?) to do this? Otherwise, it seems a bit ridiculous to send those trains all the way to GC just to avoid changing some signs during a two-year period.

Is there any other reason that, for example, the D & E trains can't have their berths swapped for the duration of the project?
 #1250290  by sery2831

MBTA3247 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:The left hand inbound track at Park St can only access the B and E berths on the outbound side then, correct? Wasn't there supposed to be some work to change that?
You're thinking of the plan to connect Track 3 to Track 4 immediately east of the station so cars to Government Center and beyond can use either track at Park St.
The plan was to connect the outer track to an outer loop. There was a double loop here previously. I do not believe the inner loop track ever went beyond Park St. The outer loop would become really handy now. I feel swapping the berths and putting both the B and D on the inner rail would cause a massive back up in the Central Subway.
 #1257821  by MBTA3247

The operator of the train I was on this morning made several announcements between Boylston and Gov't Center about the impending closure.

A pair of flashing orange lights (of the kind you find at road construction projects) have been set up about 50 feet apart on the eastbound track just before it enters Gov't Center.
 #1257958  by TrainManTy

I stopped by today around 2pm. The concourse was swarming with MBTA staff handing out information and talking to riders about the closure, which will be this Sunday, March 22nd. Banner hang on the construction fencing blocking off the Brattle Loop (which has construction materials and a hi-rail dump truck behind it), and on the station headhouse.

Photo:
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee26 ... 3462-1.jpg
 #1259170  by connartist88h

Everything I've seen in regard to a Back Bay-Airport shuttle has been through news articles; I have yet to see any press releases from the MBTA or Massport. I don't expect any kind of PR to come from Paul Revere Transportation.

Working at Logan, I've been avoiding the blue line in favor of the SL1 because the Massport shuttles now all stop at the consolidated rental car facility before continuing to the terminals. It's now actually faster to walk to Terminal E from Airport station than it is on the shuttle. If a LinkPass is valid on the Back Bay shuttle, I'll consider using it regularly.
 #1259224  by Yellowspoon

Within the past year, I have seen E trains on track 1 so that the E train could pass a B train holding on track 2. I have also seen D trains occasionally loop at Park Street. So swapping tracks at Park (westbound) is not unheard of.

On Saturday, 22-March, I observed some trains terminate at Park Street (track 3). I also observed some trains pull into track 4 at Park Street and force all passengers to disembark. I assume CRail's comment is correct.

Given that swapping berths on the westbound route is occasionally done, what possible reason could there be for wasting resources to run the trains to Government Center?

To add insult to injury, the below sign is in the passageway between green line tracks. B trains run on track 2. C trains run on track 1. And Arborway trains haven't run for 29 years. This is the epitome of "Close enough for government work"
Attachments:
140322_2222_7.jpg
140322_2222_7.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
 #1259241  by CRail

No one said they can't be switched. The effort is being made to preserve the 'norm.' We've become such lemmings that the T is afraid to change anything in the fear that everyone will end up somewhere near Pluto and the ADA will sue again. I don't agree with the mentality, but so it is.

Your photo is obviously of an old sign. Instead of bashing government labor on a railfan forum, perhaps you could bring it to the Authority's attention and maybe it will get replaced.