Railroad Forums 

• Results of a sold EMD

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#123199  by TerryC

Since Greenbriar has bought EMD are any big changes going to happen? Is EMD going to build a better passenger locomotive for instance? Are there going to be any changes to the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe? Is there a hybrid locomotive possibility? Of the test, lease, or surplus units EMD has running or lying around would any be sold off? Which SD70ACes and SD70M-2s are GM EMD built and which are Greenbriar EMD built?

keep asking keep learning

#123298  by CSX ENG

How would any of us know all this information? Why don't you write to EMD and then share their response with us??

#123300  by LCJ

Methinks perhaps he just wonders out loud.

keep asking keep asking

#123496  by TerryC

I see nothing wrong with wondering or thinking out loud. I figured some other people could add their input to this topic if they felt like it.

keep asking keep learning

#123519  by LCJ

I agree that's it's just fine to do that. It will be interesting to see what the answers to these questions turn out to be -- with an EMD that's completely independent of GM's somewhat flawed product management process.*

*My opinion based on what I've seen them do in the past.

keep learning keep learning
 #123742  by trainmaster_1

TerryC wrote:Since Greenbriar has bought EMD are any big changes going to happen?
No.
TerryC wrote:Is EMD going to build a better passenger locomotive for instance?
Probably Yes.
TerryC wrote:Are there going to be any changes to the SD70M-2 and SD70ACe?
No.
TerryC wrote:Is there a hybrid locomotive possibility?
Possibly
TerryC wrote:Of the test, lease, or surplus units EMD has running or lying around would any be sold off?
No.
TerryC wrote:Which SD70ACes and SD70M-2s are GM EMD built and which are Greenbriar EMD built?
Why don't you see for yourself.......
 #124880  by crij

IMHO, Three things could happen... (listed from good to bad in my opinion.)

1. Greenbrier moves all the Diesel-Electric locomotive and locomotive refurbishing operations under the EMD name and keeps the Rail Car & Marine businesses under the Greenbrier name. Basically focusing the knowledge bases.

2. All operations become Greenbrier operations and the EMD name is scrapped

3. Greenbrier strips out parts of EMD it wanted and sells the rest.

Hopefully it will be the first one.

Regards,

Rich C.

#125388  by Nasadowsk

Since Greenbrier is in the business to make money?

I'm guessing #3. Keep the lucrative renewal parts biz, sell the engine designs for stationary apps to someone, scrap loco production. Might get another few years of stationary sales until the EPA effectively regulates the 710 out of existance, renewal stuff will keep them making money for another 20 - 30+ years - and the engineering costs are sunk already.

New locos? sure - you got a few hundred million to drop on a 'maybe'? New passenger power? Uh, yeah, sure. After the DE/DM fiasco, even MPI's junk looks better to potential operators than EMD's, and there's a bunch of late model GEs sitting in dead storage, owned by a cash strapped owner...

#127624  by Nelson Bay

The following is a copy of a recent letter from EMD's new CEO to all salaried employees. Looks as if some changes are about to happen.

Subject: Message from John Hamilton

To: All Salaried Employees

For the past few weeks, I have spent time meeting and talking with you
about the future of EMD. I stated that the future for our company is very
bright, but also communicated that turning the company around will require
hard work, and that to do so, we will need to do things very differently
than before. I committed to share with you openly the financial status of
the organization and the steps that we will take to make the company
strong
and growing once again.

The cost structure of the company is too high. We are reviewing a variety
of options that will allow us to reduce our costs, including re-examining
our supplier base. In the near future, there also will be a
reduction-in-force of our salaried employees in both the United States and
Canada. This is not a decision taken lightly, nor one that will be easy.
Nonetheless, it is a critical step on the journey to a better future that
must be taken.

More details will follow; however, I want to give you some sense for what
will occur and the time frame in which it will occur. Managers and
leaders
of the company have begun reviewing ways to restructure and/or eliminate
work so that we can be more effective and efficient. In some cases,
managers will identify jobs that can be eliminated. In other cases,
managers will endeavor to consolidate jobs currently performed. In
addition, they will also undertake a comparison of employee productivity,
skills and abilities that will result in a ranking of individuals relative
to their peers. This process will culminate in mid- to late-May, when
those without the requisite skills and abilities will be informed that
their employment with EMD is being terminated.

For those individuals who are affected, EMD has committed to a generous
severance program that is modeled after the policy of the previous owner
of
the company. Again, specific details will follow soon. I would also like
to make it clear that this is not a voluntary separation program and the
managers and supervisors of the company are not authorized to respond to
people who, for personal reasons, would like to leave the company. Our
goal is to treat people both fairly and respectfully throughout this very
difficult process.

I am aware that this decision will create a great deal of emotion in
people. While I regret the need to do so, I have no doubt that our
company
will only survive by including these actions as part of our turnaround
plan. It is my commitment, and that of all leaders in the company, to
conduct this process confidentially, professionally and respectfully for
all involved. More information will be made available through the Human
Resource Department early next week.

Sincerely yours,

John Hamilton
President and CEO, EMD

#127681  by AmtrakFan

Terry,
I have heared they are going to do more special order things.

#127698  by Nelson Bay

AmtrakFan wrote:Terry,
Huh? What kind of special order things? In business most orders are special.

Your info source's days may be numbered as per the Hamilton letter.

#127993  by AmtrakFan

Nelson Bay wrote:
AmtrakFan wrote:Terry,
Huh? What kind of special order things? In business most orders are special.

Your info source's days may be numbered as per the Hamilton letter.
I mean like one of a kind like the DDA40X's were.
 #128083  by Nelson Bay

Greenbrier bought EMD to turn it into a money making business. "One of a kind's" lose money. A "one of a kind " needs a set of enginerring drawings' During production a "one of a kind" needs tooling/jigs set accordingly' What EMD/Greenbriar needs is a 50-100 unit order. That requires the same single set of drawings and tooling/jigs as the "one of a kind".

#133059  by Nelson Bay

June 1 article in London, Ont. Free Press

EMD ready to hire 200 hourly workers

NORMAN DE BONO, Free Press Business Reporter 2005-06-01 02:55:57

Electro-Motive Diesel is poised to hire up to 200 hourly-rated workers as orders for new locomotives pile up in the Oxford Street plant.

But while the unionized workforce grows, salaried workers are being cut -- with 20 office jobs slashed last week.

"Greenbriar has really stepped up to the plate with its commitment to the hourly workforce," Keith Berry, Local 27 plant chair for the Canadian Auto Workers union, said yesterday. "We will have up to 200 new hires as soon as we ratify."

When labour talks began last month, Berry feared job cuts and restraint on spending from the plant's new owners, Greenbriar Equity Group.

Berry said the union won language in the contract that will see wages, benefits and pensions mirror whatever GM workers get in September when it bargains a new deal with the automaker.

However, it's a different story in the plant office, with workers bracing for more cuts once the systems between the U.S. and Canadian operations are consolidated, said one salaried employee who declined to be identified.

"A lot of salaried people are very bitter about this. We're not organized, so we're getting kicked out. It sends a message unions are a good thing," the employee said.

"There is a feeling they are not done, that there will be more cuts coming. The mood is very anxious. They have even frozen stationary costs for six months."

Electro-Motive officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Berry, however, believes middle management at the plant is overstaffed.

"It is tough, but they want to trim the fat and not at the expense of the hourly workforce," Berry said. "There are some salaried positions that are not needed and they acted on it. The hourly workers make the product, they make them money."

The union will hold its ratification vote Sunday morning at the Marconi Club.

The CAW has 667 members at the plant and the salaried workforce has about 300 non-union employees.

Electro-Motive Diesel was purchased by Greenbriar from General Motors in January in a deal believed to be worth about $500 million US. The union's collective agreement remains with GM until it expires Sept. 14.

Copyright © The London Free Press

#133060  by Ol' Loco Guy

Seems that SSI (Schenectady) is set to hire 35 welders and 4 painters. Wonder if this has anything to with an upcoming EMD contract ?

I think that EMD will concentrate on maintaining long production runs of just two models, i.e. SD70M-2 and the SD70ACe. Would suspect that will enable them to offer competitive pricing (vs GE) on smaller orders such as those upcoming for MRL and BHP Mining.

Passenger locos will remain a niche business to be covered by MPI and Alstom-as well as the various remanufacturers.