Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1436711  by JTBernier

ut-1 wrote:Here's a video I took showing flooding in South Utica; the NYS&W has a bridge over the Sauquoit approx 1/2 mile south of the bridge shown in the video. There's also an ex-NYO&W bridge about the same distance to the north, used to reach a customer in New Hartford. I'm sure those bridges will be closely inspected before a train is allowed to cross them.
Holy moly!
 #1441571  by milkman

Rail Trails Fail wrote:Any update on the county finding business for this line?
I haven't heard anything and I keep checking the paper, but they are obviously getting the line ready, we see MOW vehicles going up and down the line a lot.
 #1442009  by ricky

milkman wrote:
Rail Trails Fail wrote:Any update on the county finding business for this line?
I haven't heard anything and I keep checking the paper, but they are obviously getting the line ready, we see MOW vehicles going up and down the line a lot.
what are mow vehicles for? Inspect tracks ?
 #1443289  by ut-1

Here are a few photos taken today:

1. Running up Paris Hill's 1.8% grade, Cassville.

2. Passing Lincoln-Davies Lumber Co, Paris Station.

3. At the crest of Paris Hill, Paris Station/Marshall.
Attachments:
IMG_3569 (2)_Resized_899_by_674.jpg
IMG_3569 (2)_Resized_899_by_674.jpg (238.64 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
IMG_3574 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_3574 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (207.43 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
IMG_3575 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_3575 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (233.85 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
 #1443498  by JTBernier

Running light?

ut-1 wrote:Here are a few photos taken today:

1. Running up Paris Hill's 1.8% grade, Cassville.

2. Passing Lincoln-Davies Lumber Co, Paris Station.

3. At the crest of Paris Hill, Paris Station/Marshall.
 #1443803  by ut-1

JT Bernier asked, "Running light?"

Yes, they picked up 8 cars (7 covered hoppers & 1 tanker) in Sangerfield then returned to Utica.
 #1444559  by lvrr325

I'm somewhat surprised they're not running a handful of cars down to Binghamton themselves, although with the engine facility gone there's no need to move power in and out anymore.
 #1444706  by JoeCollege

lvrr325 wrote:I'm somewhat surprised they're not running a handful of cars down to Binghamton themselves, although with the engine facility gone there's no need to move power in and out anymore.
I'd think some customers in Utica would have demanded as much, maybe seeking competitive rates from NS connection rather than go CSX to Syracuse and down. And there was speculation that maybe CSX changes would eliminate Utica interchange. Neither seems to have happened, and NYSW has shown little interest from what I can tell in capturing any traffic south of Sangerfield- the old Baillie's traffic that was transloaded at Sherburne now goes container on trucks to Jersey or DeWitt from what I heard.
 #1444746  by johnpbarlow

JoeCollege wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:I'm somewhat surprised they're not running a handful of cars down to Binghamton themselves, although with the engine facility gone there's no need to move power in and out anymore.
I'd think some customers in Utica would have demanded as much, maybe seeking competitive rates from NS connection rather than go CSX to Syracuse and down. And there was speculation that maybe CSX changes would eliminate Utica interchange. Neither seems to have happened, and NYSW has shown little interest from what I can tell in capturing any traffic south of Sangerfield- the old Baillie's traffic that was transloaded at Sherburne now goes container on trucks to Jersey or DeWitt from what I heard.
Is the CSX-NYSW car exchange at Utica an interchange between the two RRs or does NYSW have haulage rights over CSX between Syracuse and Utica? Much earlier in this lengthy thread, someone said CSX-NYSW interchange was at Syracuse and prior to the 2006 embargo of the Utica line, CSX traffic for NYSW customers at Utica was routed Syracuse-Binghamton-Utica. So if Syracuse-Utica via CSX is a haulage agreement, NYSW's Utica customers could theoretically negotiate a Utica-Syracuse-Binghamton to/from NS shipping arrangement today without using the Utica branch.