Railroad Forums 

• Freight Trains Crash in South Carolina

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

#85360  by trainfreak

Well at least NS is trying to get the citizens in that area on their good side. So good move NS youve done well...at a price.

#85383  by emd_SD_60

This wreck reminds me of a similar wreck about 2 years ago on the CNIC mainline in Tamaroa, north of Duquoin, about several chemical cars derailed, forcing the whole village to evacuate. No injuries or fatalities, but what a mess.

And there was an incident on the CNIC Eldorado sub in Benton last summer, where a couple of coal cars on a UP Paduch-bound coal drag toppled over the overpass onto I-57, thankfully no one was injured or killed by the falling cars. Just left a huge mess on the interstate.

#85427  by crazy_nip

"Authorities do not believe the switch was tampered with, she said.

"People with the appropriate access to the switch set it the way we found it. We are trying to determine if that position was what it was supposed to be."

The switch was "lined and locked" into position for the train to move on the parallel track, where the other cars were parked. Investigators are trying to find out why that happened, Hersman said.

The train's engineer applied his emergency brakes just before the collision, she said."

wow...

that local train crew is screwed...

I figured this was sabotage, no way would I think a crew would leave a switch lined for a siding

wow...

#85443  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea, the switch was locked, the crew is in deep poo , they must have been tired to forget about it, :(

but the switch could have been tampered with, someone could have picked the lock or something, aligned it to the siding and relocked it to make it look like the crew did it

#85444  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what type of signaling is down in this area? or was Dark territory the answer?

#85520  by crazy_nip

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:but the switch could have been tampered with, someone could have picked the lock or something, aligned it to the siding and relocked it to make it look like the crew did it

that would be VERY, VERY unlikely...

but possible I guess

#85522  by crazy_nip

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:what type of signaling is down in this area? or was Dark territory the answer?
it was not signaled

I have heard on this and other forums that there should be a mandate for signaling on all lines

and that is about the most knee-jerk reaction I have ever seen

its not fiscally possible, period

what would help (would still be expensive, but do-able) would be to put electric (or battery, or solar) powered lamps on top of the switchposts

at least you could see the switch was misaligned before you were on top of it unless it was right around a curve...

solar would likely be the best option

it would be like they used to have kerosene lighted switch masts which showed red (amber) or green to tell which allignment the switch was left in

those reflective masts are just not viewable alot of the time unless you are right up on them (read: too late)

#85527  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea, those would be great ideas on the switch's, something for the engineer to see

#85549  by CSX Conductor

Lit switch targets would still not be good enough if th main line's maximum authorized speed was high. :-(

As for the crew member who left the switch lined into the siding (If thats what really happened), may possibly also face manslaughter charges

#85567  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

but at aleast the engineer would be able to see for a small distance if the switch was properly lined or not, and might be able to slow his train enough to not cause a huge wreck

#85592  by crazy_nip

how about an assinine rule stating trains must approace every switch at restricting speed...

I can see NS trying that

#85594  by trainfreak

If the situation would warrant it i would say that possibly put a dwarf signal maybe half a mile from the switch and when lined for the main the signal would be green and when lined for the siding the the signal would be yellow. So the dwarf signal would only be hooked up with the switch and would change when the switch would be moved. Therefore the dispatcher wouldnt have to control the signal.

#85604  by Santa Fe Sucks

SAFEST RAILROAD IN THE USA!
 #85607  by Noel Weaver

Distant switch signals at one time were very common in the railroad
industry. They were used on lines that were otherwise unsignaled or
what you would call dark territory.
I think the Long Island for one still uses them today. The New Haven
Railroad at one time had them all over the place.
Such signals are generally a mile or two short of a facing point switch or
maybe a number of facing point switches that get considerable use for
clearing, meeting or switching.
Having a distant switch signal at a location like this one would have cost a
lot less than this unfortunate, costly catastrophe has cost the Norfolk
Southern and its neighbors, the community and the customer.
Lets not be too quick to pass judgement on this one, the investigations are
still proceeding and may take a while to conclude.
Noel Weaver