Railroad Forums 

• Aerial photos of Waterville Yard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#768030  by cpf354

Maybe I'm delusional, but it seems like any of those units could come back, anytime. Anyone see old shots of Billerica from the 80s when claws were devouring engines and turning them into scrap? These all look intact, so who knows?
 #768038  by samayotte

Some of those 1st gen units look "stored" as opposed to "dead" to me.
But just by looking (especially from the air), we're guessing.

Another thought-- none of the engines at Waterville are whitelined.
In the SD-26 scrapping days, the whitelines were lined up like cordwood.
 #768075  by Stephen

samayotte, those are great pictures. Thanks!
Another thought-- none of the engines at Waterville are whitelined.
In the SD-26 scrapping days, the whitelines were lined up like cordwood.
Very good point.

That said, I would think a few (like 513) will never be reactivated so who knows.

Does anyone know the most recent engine to be cut up at Waterville and when it happened?

Thanks,
Stephen
 #768113  by mec 381

Stephen wrote:Does anyone know the most recent engine to be cut up at Waterville and when it happened?
I'm not sure but I think the last time locomotives were scraped was back before the company changed its name from Guilford. It sure has been a while thou since any locomotive has been scraped. Some of the GP 40-2's should be rebuilt and placed back into service like the 509 and 342.
 #944792  by MEC407

Probably not 609, since that's one of the ones they just bought and it has been photographed in action recently. Maybe the old 619 (SD26)? Haven't seen that unit in a long time.
 #944915  by Mikejf

Wonder how long the building with the collapsing roof will be there. Safety hazard and also paying taxes on it.
 #944990  by MEC407

I was thinking the same thing. :-\ Surprised they haven't already bulldozed some of the more heavily damaged buildings, like they did at Rigby.