Railroad Forums 

• Aerial photos of Waterville Yard

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1223123  by KSmitty

thebigham wrote:YES! Thanks for the pics!

The yard looks a little empty.

Why is the executive train "out back"? Thought it would be stored inside.
Believe the train had just returned to Waterville within a couple days of the shots being taken. I believe it is usually stored inside. Not sure if in the roundhouse or shop, I think the roundhouse though.
 #1223301  by thebigham

^I would think that as soon as it came back to Waterville, it would be put inside immediately to keep the paint looking sharp.

They probably wash/wax it when before it goes out so I guess it doesn't matter.

Any missing engines that might have been scrapped?
 #1257959  by samayotte

Photos from Waterville:

http://samayotte.com/PAR_Waterville_7.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

=========================================

Deadlines:

Coach 322
Coach 392

Running Power:

HLCX 7860

--------------

Stephen A. Mayotte
samayotte.com

Become a fan of samayotte.com on Facebook
 #1258197  by 690

There have been a few others, but not for any real length of time. Pretty sure the 345 has been there for quite some time now.
 #1258209  by KSmitty

690 wrote:There have been a few others, but not for any real length of time. Pretty sure the 345 has been there for quite some time now.
July 2013. Not a terminal visit, but starting to get closer to the usual point of no return. In its favor, it only appears to be missing batteries. Still has all the fans, those are usually early victims, hood doors closed and not missing, etc...
 #1258477  by gokeefe

Sam,

Thanks as always for the great photography and for making the shots accessible to the public. It is greatly appreciated.

The coverage this time around of MEC #322 in particular was excellent with some great shots broadside of the car. It appears to be in remarkably good condition overall.
 #1290269  by samayotte

If you look closely, you’ll see the 2 office cars, but no sign of the new dome.
The other 2 (unrestored) passenger cars are still outside.

There are some closeups of the transfer table.
If you look REALLY closely, you can see a pair of engines (with GRS paint) inside.
One has ditch lights. The other doesn’t. No visible numbers.

There are a pair of plows.
The heavy duty crane is plainly visible.

I found a bunch of bulkhead flatcars loaded with pulpwood.
Haven’t seen that before.

The place is a modeler’s dream come true.

We’ve learned to “never say never” when it comes to the dead line, but some of those units are just empty shells.
3 running GP-9s are all I would expect to see.
Get your photos while you can.

Here’s the complete briefing:

http://samayotte.com/PAR_Waterville_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1290274  by KSmitty

samayotte wrote:If you look closely, you’ll see the 2 office cars, but no sign of the new dome.
The other 2 (unrestored) passenger cars are still outside.

There are some closeups of the transfer table.
If you look REALLY closely, you can see a pair of engines (with GRS paint) inside.
One has ditch lights. The other doesn’t. No visible numbers.

There are a pair of plows.
The heavy duty crane is plainly visible.

I found a bunch of bulkhead flatcars loaded with pulpwood.
Haven’t seen that before.

The place is a modeler’s dream come true.

We’ve learned to “never say never” when it comes to the dead line, but some of those units are just empty shells.
3 running GP-9s are all I would expect to see.
Get your photos while you can.

Here’s the complete briefing:

http://samayotte.com/PAR_Waterville_8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks as always for the report.
The pulpwood loads are coming off MNR and are going up to SAPPI. Seem to be coming in blocks of 20-30 cars 1-2 times a weekish. I think the sappi pulpwood is just the tip of the iceberg when compared to the potential. If they weren't so limited east of Waterville.