Railroad Forums 

• CMQ Operations

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1282002  by CN9634

Not sure but I highly doubt it is daily east/west. All I know for sure is they are running at least once a week across the border.
 #1283170  by necr3849

Sounds good so far, but the "Sell, sell, sell!" mentality won't get you squat unless you have a solid core of good employees out in the trenches to back it up. Not saying they won't! :-)
 #1283723  by carchecker

Not sure how significant this is but on the NBSR westbound out of McAdam yesterday there were five loads of wdpulp destined for Montreal via the CMQ.
 #1283920  by fogg1703

carchecker wrote:Not sure how significant this is but on the NBSR westbound out of McAdam yesterday there were five loads of wdpulp destined for Montreal via the CMQ.
If anything it shows some confidence in the CMQ routing even if its some test loads. Any idea of the origin? Irving or Woodland?
 #1284331  by mkittredge

Glad to see some regular action in the Eastern Townships. On Friday July 18th, I saw 901 ( I can't call it Job #1 or whatever they call it now ) with 3091 and 3163 and 49 cars. It rolled through Lennoxville at 21:05. On Friday July 25th 901 had 2006, 3163, 2018 and 48 cars. It rolled through Lennoxville at 15:35.
 #1284350  by necr3849

fogg1703 wrote:
carchecker wrote:Not sure how significant this is but on the NBSR westbound out of McAdam yesterday there were five loads of wdpulp destined for Montreal via the CMQ.
If anything it shows some confidence in the CMQ routing even if its some test loads. Any idea of the origin? Irving or Woodland?
Thinking all the recent PAR derailments(no matter how small) could help the cause as well. If I were NBSR or CMQ, I'd always be wondering........"will my cars get here without derailing on PAR this time?"
 #1284396  by fogg1703

mkittredge wrote:Glad to see some regular action in the Eastern Townships. On Friday July 18th, I saw 901 ( I can't call it Job #1 or whatever they call it now ) with 3091 and 3163 and 49 cars. It rolled through Lennoxville at 21:05. On Friday July 25th 901 had 2006, 3163, 2018 and 48 cars. It rolled through Lennoxville at 15:35.
Thanks for posting your sightings.

Was there a specific reason CP went back to getting cars at St Jean instead of St Luc? I know the actual interchange point is St Jean but CP allowed MMA to deliver directly to St Luc.
 #1284773  by FarnhamHogger

fogg1703 wrote: Was there a specific reason CP went back to getting cars at St Jean instead of St Luc? I know the actual interchange point is St Jean but CP allowed MMA to deliver directly to St Luc.
Not sure of the reason(s) but, for the moment at least, CP hauls the CMQ traffic to Iberville and hands it over there. CMQ is not allowed across the bridge to St Jean and therefore cannot interchange there with CN. The CMQ interchanges with CN at Sherbrooke via Richmond and the St Lawrence & Atlantic.
 #1284834  by mkittredge

Your welcome fogg1703. On Friday July 18th, I also saw an Eastbound arrive in Sherbrooke at 20:17 with 2007, 2023 and 10 cars. Good thing those ugly blue things sound great! With 8 trips to Quebec from Vermont so far this summer, I just wish I had more to report.
 #1285060  by fogg1703

FarnhamHogger wrote: CMQ is not allowed across the bridge to St Jean and therefore cannot interchange there with CN.
Interesting. A tactic to gain more traffic for CP perhaps?
FarnhamHogger wrote: The CMQ interchanges with CN at Sherbrooke via Richmond and the St Lawrence & Atlantic.
Does this add another carrier on the waybill, or is SLR/SLQ considered an extension of CN here?
 #1285068  by FarnhamHogger

fogg1703 wrote:Interesting. A tactic to gain more traffic for CP perhaps?
I would think so as it forces CMQ to either have CP haul all their traffic from points west or use the much longer Sherbrooke route and deal with both SLA and CN.
fogg1703 wrote:Does this add another carrier on the waybill, or is SLR/SLQ considered an extension of CN here?
It adds another carrier.
 #1285096  by CN9634

CMQ issued in a statement to customers that its move to interchange at Iberville was due to the CTA's certificate of fitness not allowing them use trackage rights for the first year or so. After a period of time they could, but for now, no operating over other peoples track.