Railroad Forums 

• CMQ Operations

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1271503  by shadyjay

BandA wrote:Surprised that there is no website; That is part of any marketing effort
Didn't think so either.... till I discovered this:

http://www.cmqrailway.com/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder if they got inspiration for the moose logo from the B&ML?
 #1271620  by Ridgefielder

gpp111 wrote:It is possible that there are environmental issues at Derby and the new owner did not wish to take responsibility for them.
Given that the shops complex dates back at minimum to pre-WW2 days, if not the 19th Century, I'd say there are almost certainly significant environmental issues there.
 #1271673  by CN9634

Derby also had a harsh winter... a lot of things froze up and some other damage occured. What I hear is a new shop facility planned for the future, as well as a focus on using the Brownville Jct area for more stuff (intentionally vague)
 #1271759  by KSmitty

CN9634 wrote:Derby also had a harsh winter... a lot of things froze up and some other damage occured. What I hear is a new shop facility planned for the future, as well as a focus on using the Brownville Jct area for more stuff (intentionally vague)
Brownville really makes a lot more sense than Derby. More central to operations, if nothing else Brownville would really benefit from a fuel pad. Hauling units down to Derby for fuel seems like such a pita from an operational standpoint. I always thought it was too bad they couldn't simply pick Derby up and move it north.

Whats left for customers between Brownville and Millinocket? Is there anything left in Nockit? I know the mills are both boarded up at the moment.
 #1271845  by Ridgefielder

shadyjay wrote:
BandA wrote:Surprised that there is no website; That is part of any marketing effort
Didn't think so either.... till I discovered this:

http://www.cmqrailway.com/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder if they got inspiration for the moose logo from the B&ML?
That or the Intercolonial Railway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Inter ... herald.png
 #1271848  by CN9634

KSmitty wrote:
CN9634 wrote:Derby also had a harsh winter... a lot of things froze up and some other damage occured. What I hear is a new shop facility planned for the future, as well as a focus on using the Brownville Jct area for more stuff (intentionally vague)
Brownville really makes a lot more sense than Derby. More central to operations, if nothing else Brownville would really benefit from a fuel pad. Hauling units down to Derby for fuel seems like such a pita from an operational standpoint. I always thought it was too bad they couldn't simply pick Derby up and move it north.

Whats left for customers between Brownville and Millinocket? Is there anything left in Nockit? I know the mills are both boarded up at the moment.
Oh a few. Millinocket yard has scrap being loaded as well as an LP rack at the north end (Might be Dead River, not sure). Also, the E. Millinocket branch still has Dolby log yard that gets pulpwood racks. More importantly though, the yard at Nocket is the key interchange with the MNR.

Some traffic has been moving MNR-CMQ-PAR, rather than going to Keag directly to PAR. I believe they were having some challenges in transit/interchange times with Pan Am.... CMQ and PAR have been discussing some 'interesting ideas' (Not my words) regarding interchange at NMJ. One wonders if they would look to setup a deal to interchange NB Southern traffic between Brownville/Nocket and NMJ for interchange between NBSR and PAR. If so, you may see (much needed) line consolidation that would end the line between Old Town and Lincoln. Sorry, but from a business point, there is no need for redundant lines with little competition value between the three roads. It just makes sense to combine everything under a joint use deal.

Brownville proper has the log yard too.
 #1271877  by Cowford

"...as well as a focus on using the Brownville Jct area for more stuff (intentionally vague)"

eeeew, more intrigue! An intermodal or auto ramp, perhaps?!? :P
 #1271918  by CN9634

Cowford wrote:"...as well as a focus on using the Brownville Jct area for more stuff (intentionally vague)"

eeeew, more intrigue! An intermodal or auto ramp, perhaps?!? :P
I wish! But... sadly no.
 #1272022  by Cowford

Well, if it's feasible from an engineering standpoint, it would probably make sense to build a westbound connection east of Brownville Jct, mirroring the new EMRY eastbound connection. That would allow them to rip up the KI branch.
 #1272410  by KSmitty

Cowford wrote:Well, if it's feasible from an engineering standpoint, it would probably make sense to build a westbound connection east of Brownville Jct, mirroring the new EMRY eastbound connection. That would allow them to rip up the KI branch.
Actually, when looking at it, I believe it would be simpler to use the existing yard at Brownville Jct. Move the main to the KI, and add a second connecting track between the current Millinocket sub and the Mattawamkeag sub, on the opposite side of the Millinocket sub as the current Irving connection. Much less new rail construction required, no need to relocate the yard, keeps CM&Q's main operations E-W and N-S contiguous, would only involve a move over NBSR/EMRY to get from the KI to the Millinocket sub, which should be a much smaller part of CMQ ops going forward as they have no customers north of Brownville at the moment.
 #1272466  by Cowford

Smitty, your idea suggests tearing up the old BAR main from the KI wye to the EMRY connection, correct? Hadn't thought of that, but that appears an even better idea. Possibly easier ops, a bit more trackage rationalized, and you can eliminate a bridge.
 #1272484  by KSmitty

Cowford wrote:Smitty, your idea suggests tearing up the old BAR main from the KI wye to the EMRY connection, correct? Hadn't thought of that, but that appears an even better idea. Possibly easier ops, a bit more trackage rationalized, and you can eliminate a bridge.
Yes, sorry, should have tried to explain it a little slower, got typing and couldnt stop my fingers...Throw more words at it and eventually the point will be made. :wink:

For those less familiar with the area look at this
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211 ... dg=feature" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It rationalizes a bridge, and roughly 4 and 1/2 miles of track. Allows CM&Q to continue operations seamlessly between the E-W line and the N-S line to Searsport. The only dispatching kerfuffle would be running a CM&Q train from Brownville to Millinocket, over roughly 1 mile of EMRY. This should be a minor problem, as the line isn't that busy, and more importantly Millinocket operations should play a very small role in CM&Q operations, since they have just a couple of small log or chip loadouts on the section from Brownville to E. Millinocket. There might still be an active chipper on the line by Dolby Flow, and a log loadout just west of Nockit proper. If they still ship. Both mills are currently boarded up, the west mill is getting bulldozed. The E mill who knows what will happen.

Just a thought if track rationalization is a goal of CM&Q this seems to be a pretty easy decision. Would also allow the yard to stay in place, and I think there is room inside the Y to allow for a small service area.

Derby is quite oversized for a railroad with 25 locomotives. Its also a superfund site in the making. All they really need is a light shop to do running repair and 92 day inspections. Overhauls/rebuilds can easily be farmed out to Waterville, Altoona, etc...and of course fueling, which would be so nice to have at Brownville. Could do a full service right at the intersection and send units out from there without the need to run all these 15 mile power moves.
 #1272692  by necr3849

Just leave that current CMQ bridge in so we can at least get pics of NBSR from it!
 #1272864  by BandA

I think part of MMA's problem was trying to run their small Quebec operation with a seperate labor pool. Why are truckers allowed to cross borders but railroaders aren't?