Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak's ADIRONDACK

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1476460  by Patrick Boylan

R30A wrote:Vestibules to the rear is the normal configuration.
east point wrote:Guess just the LD NYP - south trains almost always have vestibule toward center of train ?
Railjunkie wrote:During the winter months it makes it easier to open the doors when they are all caked up with snow and ice.
What makes it easier to open the doors, when they're to the rear as R30A said or toward the center as east point said? And why would which way the vestibules face make any difference for snow and ice, except perhaps on the first or last car?
 #1476467  by Railjunkie

During the winter months any door on the leading end of a coach is more likely to become caked with ice and snow. Dosent matter the where on the train. This is because the snow swirls down the train and turns to ice. If you have to push a door open, you will only need to break the snow away from the latch side, a good mule kick generally dose the trick. If you need to push open a door the ice and snow is frozen against the door pocket and chances are its going to become jammed.

Having a couple of good doors in winter can be a full time job for the train crew. Shovels brooms and rock salt are a must.
 #1476493  by Patrick Boylan

I still don't get it, why is the snow and ice worse if the door's on the front vs the back of the coach? I'm not a physicist, or thermodynamicist or whatever the wise scientific title should be, but how much different, and why, is the swirl just because it's at a different end of the car?
Do other railroads, or Amtrak trains, follow this same practice? Snow's not unique to the Adirondack, even the south long distance trains out of New York about which east point writes encounter some snow before they reach sunny Florida in February.
 #1477637  by Tom6921

I noticed last week that the Southbound Adirondack's departure has been changed to 10:00 am.(It used to be 9:30).
 #1477721  by Railjunkie

Patrick Boylan wrote:I still don't get it, why is the snow and ice worse if the door's on the front vs the back of the coach? I'm not a physicist, or thermodynamicist or whatever the wise scientific title should be, but how much different, and why, is the swirl just because it's at a different end of the car?
Do other railroads, or Amtrak trains, follow this same practice? Snow's not unique to the Adirondack, even the south long distance trains out of New York about which east point writes encounter some snow before they reach sunny Florida in February.

ITS THE WAY THE DOORS OPEN. SPENT 5 YEARS IN UNIFORM AND TRUST ME YOU DONT WANT TO USE A LEADING END DOOR. THE SNOW AND ICE JUST JAMS THE DOOR OPEN. WHY, BECAUSE IT DOES.
 #1477830  by Backshophoss

Fine snow and melted snow get past the Weather striping,then freezes as ice on the Door mech.
the space the door slides into is unheated space,believe only the door tracks are heated.
 #1477861  by Railjunkie

The door pockets are heated, WHEN they work. Look at an Amfleet during the winter somewhere under the trap door there may be a yellow LED if thats on most likely the door pocket heater is working. Every time you slide a door open in the leading of a coach, no matter which one. Ice and snow build up inside the pocket which IF the heaters are working melts the snow. If not all your doing is jamming the pocket full of snow. I thought I already explained this in a previous post.
 #1479965  by John_Perkowski

Dome News

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amtrak-is ... -dome-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair use quote
From September 27 to November 2, the Great Dome Car will be available to ride on the Adirondack route as it will be traveling from Montreal to Albany to New York City.
 #1479992  by MACTRAXX

JP and Everyone:

Good news from Amtrak about the Super Dome car Ocean View returning to the Adirondack
later in 2018. A nice way to ride one of the most scenic rail routes in the Northeast...

Most likely the Ocean View will run between Albany and Montreal and not south along the Hudson.
Many of us know that this car will not clear south of Croton-Harmon and would need to be set out
there...The most scenic parts of the line on the Water Level Route along the Hudson River is the
CRT-POU-RHI segment. A dome car run on the ALB-CRT section could be a big attraction - but...

The Points Guy article leads on that the car is going to travel the entire route between Montreal
and NYC September 27 to November 2, 2018 - prime "leaf peeper" season in the Adirondacks.

After reading the ridiculous comments below the article I feel that allowing this type of postings
on the internet about topics such as this is not necessary and only leads to nonsense posts such
as these - for that reason I never try to reply to something like this even though it is tempting...

It is one thing to reply to fellow RR.net Forum members to add information to a topic but it is
totally another thing altogether to try and correct something posted elsewhere that we all know
is incorrect or unfounded not only about this subject but anything with a pro or con projective...

MACTRAXX
 #1484904  by Dick H

Amtrak ran six cars on both #68 and #69 on Labor Day, 9/2.
That was the last day for racing at Saratoga Raceway for 2018.
Four minute video taken at Plattsburg posted by Andrew Cousins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRJVDjMD7o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was #68 and #68 at Port Kent on 8/19 with five cars.
Six minute video by Railroading Rambler. The Port Kent
Ferry ends September 23rd Along with Amtrak stopping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-O_qFYVIZ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1484912  by Noel Weaver

[quote="Dick H"]That was the last day for racing at Saratoga Raceway for 2018.
Please be advised that it was Saratoga Race Course that had its last day of racing for this year on Labor Day. Saratoga Race Course is a Thoroughbred Race Track while Saratoga Raceway is open all or most of the year, includes a racino, harness racing and simulcasting, there is a difference here. Both the Race Course and the Raceway are in Saratoga Springs, New York.
Noel Weaver
 #1486081  by jhdeasy

Northbound on Monday, Thursday and Saturday.

Southbound on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.

“Never on Wednesdays” - to borrow the title of a book about the D&RGW’s Rio Grande Zephyr, between Denver and Ogden (later cut back to Salt Lake City), 1971-1983.