Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak's ADIRONDACK

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1506667  by Hawaiitiki

Has anybody heard any progress about the Pre-clearance facility at Montreal? Seems like a win-win for all parties involved. I get there are a lot of hoops to jump through here regarding red-tape but its been nearly 10 YEARS since this project was "fast tracked" by the Obama administration. And thats a long time to move/hire maximum 5 employees from Rouses Point, move them to Montreal, set up some barracading, and build a booth. I know I'm simplifying, but look what Brightline has done in 5-years.

Also, I understand that if implemented in the Trump administration, this legislation/funding will have to be stapled on the back of something else because with 2020 fast approaching, Donny doesn't want his name attached to anything involved with better/increased border traffic, public funding assisting Amtrak, cooperation with Justin Trudeau, or really anything benefiting the Northeastern quadrant of the US(who won't vote for him no matter what he does).

I'm just curious if this is still slowly trodding along behind the scenes or is it DOA?
 #1506681  by Arborwayfan

Wouldn't they probably staff a pre-clearance facility in Montreal with CBP people from the big US pre-clearance facility at the airport? That's a pool of US CBP people who work in the same metro area; some of them probably live closer to Gare Central than they do to the airport. They could probably even do their Gare Central work and then go out to the airport for the rest of their shift (or vice versa), since they would only be needed at the railroad station for two or three hours once a day. They could even travel by train-and-airport-shuttle to get from one place to the next.
 #1506685  by AgentSkelly

That’s how it’s done on the Cascades; Pre-Clearence crew for US CBP comes from YVR; CBSA crew comes from two blocks over!
 #1506747  by Hawaiitiki

Even more so then. Absurdity this is still hanging out there considering the complete waste of everybodys time and money (Amtrak, passengers, CBSA, US CBP, etc...) stopping for 1-2 hours on the border in virtually the middle of nowhere (sorry Rouses Point). And the fact that it has already been cleared by both countries' governments.
 #1524003  by hazmatmess

Taking the Adirondack with my son up to Montreal on 11/22 and coming home on the 24th. I plan on getting to NYP at around 630am that morning. Is the last car open for passengers? My son loves to sometimes look out the rear door when he gets a little bored. I plan on bringing snacks and I know that food cannot cross the border. I’m just looking forward to the relaxing ride. Anything else I should know?
Thanks in advance.
 #1524006  by BAR

Don't forget your passport. Last time I rode the Adirondack in 2017 I spent some time looking out the rear door along with two other fans and we were not hassled.

BAR
 #1524015  by Railjunkie

hazmatmess wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:09 am Taking the Adirondack with my son up to Montreal on 11/22 and coming home on the 24th. I plan on getting to NYP at around 630am that morning. Is the last car open for passengers? My son loves to sometimes look out the rear door when he gets a little bored. I plan on bringing snacks and I know that food cannot cross the border. I’m just looking forward to the relaxing ride. Anything else I should know?
Thanks in advance.
Not sure how they load the train out of NYP. They may use the first two cars for Montreal. As for looking out rear window that will depend on the crew some dont mind some do. Grab a seat on the right side facing forward of the coach that way you will get the best view of Lake Champlain.
 #1524018  by MACTRAXX

HMM: Remember to bring proper border crossing documentation with you.

If you are a New York State resident an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) is sufficient identification for land,
rail and boat border crossings - a passport is required for all AIR travel across the US/Canada Border.

Food crossing the border? Never heard previously that it would be a problem...Since you are boarding
#69 at NYP bring what you would need for at least 1-2 meals over 8 hours with little or no left overs.

Standing up and looking out the rear of Amfleet cars? Yes - this can be an interesting way to ride provided
that one does not mind standing for long periods of time and the crew does not mind rear vestibule riders.

HMM: For the best possible viewing on #69 north sit on the LEFT side NYP-ALB for the Hudson River view.
At Albany during the layover BEFORE the ALB passengers board change to the RIGHT side for the views
going north along Lake Champlain for the rest of the trip. The ALB seat change should be done --ASAP--
before new passengers and the T&E crew boards and settles in for the run north to Montreal. Don't forget
the seat check or other seat identification issued when this seat change is made.

BAR: States/Provinces that offer Enhanced Drivers Licenses (New York, Vermont, Quebec and Ontario
are prime examples) offer required ID to cross the US/Canada Border...A US or Canada passport is
indisputably the best possible documentation - but take note there ARE other forms of ID that are just
as good - and easier to obtain than a passport would be - as long as the plan does not include flying...

I took note that EDLs have another benefit as a form of ID: With the Real ID requirements to travel by
air taking effect during 2020 for DOMESTIC travel within the US anyone with a valid EDL will already be
set for this major change concerning acceptable ID boarding documentation.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1524065  by Railjunkie

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:42 pm HMM: Remember to bring proper border crossing documentation with you.

If you are a New York State resident an Enhanced Drivers License (EDL) is sufficient identification for land,
rail and boat border crossings - a passport is required for all AIR travel across the US/Canada Border.

Food crossing the border? Never heard previously that it would be a problem...Since you are boarding
#69 at NYP bring what you would need for at least 1-2 meals over 8 hours with little or no left overs.

Standing up and looking out the rear of Amfleet cars? Yes - this can be an interesting way to ride provided
that one does not mind standing for long periods of time and the crew does not mind rear vestibule riders.

RJ: For the best possible viewing on #69 north sit on the LEFT side NYP-ALB for the Hudson River view.
At Albany during the layover BEFORE the ALB passengers board change to the RIGHT side for the views
going north along Lake Champlain for the rest of the trip. The ALB seat change should be done --ASAP--
before new passengers and the T&E crew boards and settles in for the run north to Montreal. Don't forget
the seat check or other seat identification issued when this seat change is made.

My seat is always on the RIGHT side. :-D
MACTRAXX
 #1524085  by MACTRAXX

RJ: My post should have addressed the OP - the correction was made above...

As a member of the T&E crew working Albany - Montreal you already know where the great views are...
The view from the RIGHT side up on the head end is no doubt one of the best places to be :-D

Please accept my apology...MACTRAXX
 #1524119  by hazmatmess

Thanks for the reply’s. As for proper border crossing ID, we have all of it. It’s even more fun when traveling with a kid and not the other parent. I have to bring a notarized letter from my wife explaining that she knows we are going to Canada. I have to bring a copy of his birth certificate along with his passport. And a copy of my wife’s passport. But I totally understand why. Should be a fun trip. I’m looking forward to not driving.
 #1611122  by Railjunkie

Well then you likely wont like this either, but here goes. Not sure which days on the weekend but trains 69/68 will not run due to the lack of mechanical forces in Sunnyside yard. This is the rumor that was passed on to me while Ive been off for nice long weekend. We will see but it wouldn't surprise me.
 #1611143  by Railjunkie

charlesriverbranch wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:24 am 68/69? Isn't that the Adirondack? I thought it was suspended.
It will begin running again between ALB and NYP 12/5. It is one of the pairs of trains added back to the schedule. When Amtrak will be going back to MTR I couldn't tell you. They have been working on getting crews requalified but it is slow with Canadien National having to check all their boxes.