Railroad Forums 

• Heritage Equipment

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1552771  by John_Perkowski

Last night, when I got off work at 0030, I drove by KC Union Station on the way home. It looked like the KC- StL Train had a PV on the tail, so I drove to a watching spot to check.

No PV, but...
An AmBag? Yes, an AmBag. I guess the bicycle transport service is busy at the moment.

What is the cafe car? From the door/window pattern, I swear I was looking at a Budd Heritage lounge car!

BTW, Amtrak has gotten all coaches to fill the minimum axle requirement of UP. 6 horizon, the not sure cafe, an AmBag and a Charger.
 #1552781  by jhdeasy

I assume you saw a Viewliner II baggage car. I think all Heritage baggage cars have been removed from revenue service.

As to the train’s cafe car, the current choices for that train would be Horizon or Amfleet; probably A1 rather than A2.

If the car you thought was a Budd lounge was the rear car, maybe it was a PV.
 #1552868  by mtuandrew

Can’t be an AmBag as such! You could have seen an Amfleet being used as a bike car, but the doors can’t get any bigger due to structural integrity issues. This post indicates that Amtrak had been using some AmCafe cars for bike racks, without structural modifications.

AmCafe I and II cars have four windows, a blank wall, and three windows. Horizons have three regular windows flanked by two small ones, a blank wall, and two regular windows flanked by small ones. Weirdest arrangement I’ve seen.
 #1552902  by John_Perkowski

I should not write at 1AM...

Yeah, it was a V-II bag.

The coaches were horizons.

As to whatever the lounge was, it DID NOT have narrow slit windows a la either Amfleet or horizon. It had several full size windows at one end, and three widely spaced small windows at the other end.

It had two distinct forms of fluting ... wide between centers below the windows, narrow above, ABOVE a car long narrow piece of sheet stainless.

If I didn’t know better, I’d call it an ex SP Sunset diner or lounge.
 #1552907  by Backshophoss

Amtrak has the habit of the View II Bag carrying the markers on the LD sets
 #1552909  by mtuandrew

David Benton wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:51 pm Any chance it was a siemens car on test?
I don’t believe Siemens cars will be stainless and I know they don’t have fluting of any type.

Maybe you caught PACIFIC BEND out for a stroll, Colonel?
 #1552953  by mtuandrew

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:43 pm All sorts of obsolete equipment end up in axle count service including old diners, baggage, and MHCs.
Are you sure on the MHCs? I haven’t seen one pictured in an Amtrak consist for at least a decade.
 #1552957  by John_Perkowski

1 Charger
1 V II Bag
Unknown
6 horizon coaches.
PACIFIC BEND is possible.

I think the crew Friday eve wyed the unit, but not the consist.
 #1553075  by jhdeasy

After some further research, I believe you saw private car PACIFIC SUNSET, which is based at Kansas City Union Station.
 #1553317  by Backshophoss

Could have been an ILDOT Charger on test for the river runner service,the Siemens cars are painted smooth sided
 #1553424  by John_Perkowski

Sure looks like what I saw. I wish the two platform tracks at Union Station were as well lit as the Roosevelt Road overpass for the coach yard.
 #1617011  by Emmett

I love Amtrak's heritage units. My personal favorite is P40DC #811. But in general I'd say my favorite is the midnight 50th anniversary unit #100. I'm just interested to see which heritage units past and present.