Railroad Forums 

• Is event attendance declining? Your observations?

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#553363  by GSC

ARM and TRAIN can only do so much as far as publicity of their members' events. Besides, we are usually too busy running our own operation to be running off to another place, an industry hazard. ARM and TRAIN wouls publish to the industry anyway, not the general public.

What is needed is someone to your handle publicity. Even on a local level, with newspapers, radio, cable TV, etc., attendance will increase if people know about your event. (If you build it, they will not come if they don't know about it)

Writing a news release isn't hard, and most can be sent via email, so copies and postage and labels and envelopes are a things of the past. You can go as big as you want, all you need are contact addresses for the various media outlets.

You can also find reasonable ad rates on local radio and cable. They have specific packages for small limited-funds nonprofits, give them a call and ask what they can do for you.

You just might have to go for paid ads, freebies and community calendar entries go only so far.

I've been doing PR and publcity for nonprofits for over 20 years. It works, you just need to assign the job to someone who will stick with it. The payoffs are obvious.
 #555973  by tellu_whut

I took the chance to ride the Reading & Northern's 425 excursion from Tunhannock to Jim Thorpe, PA (190 miles round trip!) on July 13th, the second of two sold out trains on this line in the weekend. At the same time, the diesel-only Lehigh Gorge Scenic train seemed to be reasonably full, plus Steamtown's train to Moscow on Saturday the 12th carried 260 people. Steamtown's yard trains, the Scranton Ltd. also brought in nearly 300 riders that day, too. These numbers are good for a hot humid day in July. You expect high numbers in the Fall, but this Summer has actually been good for Northeastern PA trains.

I wonder if the RBMN steam specials had any effect on attendance at Strasburg, Wanamaker, Phillipsburg, Wilmington or New Hope? Middletown & Hummelstown will have steam in August, too. That is a good year for steam followers of any stripe and perhaps is creating new fans.

Re:

#556033  by aline1969

Gerry6309 wrote:BSRA attendance has been quite good lately. Entertainment quality and location are significant factors.
of course mostly arm chair fans :wink: who can take the T, I rather go to the real place where I can help the real thing.

Attendence is down for events and visitors.. Branford just sent a letter stating their attendence is down.
 #595550  by tellu_whut

Now that many of the steam/tourist trains are ending their seasons, what is our conclusion for the year? Are we as an industry in better or worse shape? How have fuel prices affected your ridership? Also, since diesel was selling for $5.00 a gallon this summer, which impacts the diesel powered railroads and the cost of shipping coal to the steamers, has that cost eaten into your success (if any?)

I know many of us spent most of 2008 griping about the high cost of fuel, but the last month has brought the gas price down in PA to $2.68 a gallon. I don't see people celebrating. What I have seen at Steamtown and the Reading & Northern are packed or nearly full trains on most weekends. Are the steam engines the draw or the reasonable prices? Will the credit crisis have an impact for next year?

Just a few ideas to mull over. Have a Happy Halloween.
 #595734  by umtrr-author

Well, I attended exactly three railroad related events and/or attractions so far this year... and only two fit the board topic. So here's my sample size of one...

1) Electric City Trolley Museum. A Thursday visit on the way to see my parents. Sparsely attended mid-day ride, but was preceded I'm told with a trolley full of a children's field trip-- yes, a BIG yes, let's get the kids interested while they're young!!!

2) Large train show at Raritan Center, NJ (Greenberg, I think) with my dad. I did it to be able to go to a show with my dad. I heard numerous gripes about slow sales despite what appeared to me to be fairly robust attendance.

3) Last day of joint operation for the season of the trolley and caboose hop at the NY Museum of Transportation and the Rochester & Genesee Valley NRHS Museum/Depot. I'll defer to Mike Roque for particulars but I thought the attendance was pretty good for a Sunday that was forecasted to have iffy weather.

That's probably it for the year expect for the RIT "Tiger Tracks" show; which, strictly speaking, also doesn't fit the category.
 #596412  by mxdata

It seems like turnout for some recent events has been quite good now that the price of gasoline is declining. However, I don't know if some of this may also be a result of doing things now in the event that the economic situation next year may be turn out to be a lot worse.

MX
 #596475  by ted_roy

It also my be due to the fact the local museums are now promoting themselves much better as the low cost alternative to travel. I know that the Connecticut Trolley Museum has had great response to its fall promotions. Why travel when your entertainment $$ can go farther locally?

Ted.
 #597089  by Otto Vondrak

tellu_whut wrote:Now that many of the steam/tourist trains are ending their seasons, what is our conclusion for the year? Are we as an industry in better or worse shape? How have fuel prices affected your ridership? Also, since diesel was selling for $5.00 a gallon this summer, which impacts the diesel powered railroads and the cost of shipping coal to the steamers, has that cost eaten into your success (if any?)
Ridership was UP on the Catskill Mountain Railroad. I took a ride last saturday, and our coach was full- and this was during a rainstorm!! Of course, flashy new brochure and website helped promotions, along with frequent mentions in Railpace. But most of our business does not come from Railfans!

-otto-
 #607360  by jonmurr

On the Hocking Valley in Southeastern Ohio, we are grateful to have an excellent year going. 10000 fares in October. I just returned from the first day of Santa trains and we had a great day, 270 on the first run and 307 on the second. Up considerably over last year. Hope you other tourist operators have a good December.

Jon
 #609529  by Otto Vondrak

Another update... I just got word that attendance/ridership on the Catskill Mountain Railroad was up 31% from last year! That's quite a feat in a "down" economy. New web site, new brochure and appearances in railfan and mainstream magazines helped. If you can make your operation an attractive alternative for folks looking for value close to home, you'll do quite well.

-otto-
 #646487  by mxdata

Figures quoted for last year by several groups where I am a member indicated about a 15% decline in attendance among groups where the membership is spread around the country (like single railroad historical societies) but very little decline at groups where the interest is largely local.

MX
 #690419  by chuchubob

umtrr-author wrote:Well, my sample size of one has been to zero events or museums thus far this year, with no change in that situation expected... :(

I hope I am not typical.
I'll double our sample size.
In 2009 so far I've attended 3 NY Transit Museum events, attended 5 West Jersey Chapter-NRHS meetings and one each Philadelphia 'Chapter and Florida East Coast Chapter, one PRRT&HS meeting, one NARP meeting, one NJ-ARP function, East Penn Traction Club Convention, Cass Railfan Weekend, and I've visited the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. So that brings the aberage up to about nine.
 #690446  by Red Arrow Fan

I went to the Railroad Museum of PA on Fathers Day. In the 2+ hours I was there, I think I only saw about 20 other people.

(The rest of the civilized railfan world was across the street at Strasburg Railroad for Thomas the Tank Engine day!)