Railroad Forums 

• Brightline West (XpressWest, DesertXpress) Las Vegas - Victorville - Rancho Cucamanga - LA Proposal

• This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
    Websites: Current Brightline
    Virgin USA
    Virgin UK
This is a forum for all operations, both current and planned, of Brightline, formerly All Aboard Florida and Virgin Trains USA:
Websites: Current Brightline
Virgin USA
Virgin UK

Moderator: CRail

#791726  by Chafford1

djlong wrote:Like that's any different from a truck crossing the median and striking oncoming *road* traffic?
Much worse if your train is a 14 carriage TGV carrying 600 passengers at 220mph!
 #791757  by lpetrich

djlong wrote:Like that's any different from a truck crossing the median and striking oncoming *road* traffic?
Trains can't detour around accidents, and one such accident would put the line out of service for at least a few hours. As Chafford1 noted, there's also the great speed of the trains, which would make the accident even worse than a typical flat-road accident.

But I think that solid crash barriers could do the job, even if guard rails couldn't. There are several designs of them, like the Jersey Barrier, though most of them look a bit too low.
 #791921  by NE2

There's been a lot of research into creating barriers that will catch vehicles and prevent them from bouncing back into their roadway. This (I believe) explains the Jersey barrier's curve and the use of more effective but higher-maintenance cable barriers.
 #791990  by electricron

Jersey Barrier
Cable Barrier
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_barrier
The system is more forgiving than traditional concrete (Jersey) barriers or steel barriers used today and remains effective when installed on sloping terrain. The flexibility of the system absorbs impact energy and dissipates it laterally, which reduces the forces transmitted to the vehicle occupants.
Although cable barriers have been used since the 1960s it wasn’t until the mid 1990s that many departments of transportation began to deploy them with any regularity.
Rigid barriers such as concrete and semi-rigid barriers such as steel guardrail, exhibit impact deflections of 0 to 4 ft, respectively. Flexible systems such as cable barriers deflect between 8 and 12 ft upon impact. Given these relatively large deflections, cable barrier systems are not usually considered appropriate to shield fixed objects closer than 8 ft offset of the traveled way.
 #792163  by David Benton

known by motorcyclists here as cheese graters . lets just say you dont want to hit one on a motorbike .
on topic , i doubt many would consider them adegaute to stop a heavy vechicle straying onto a hsr row .
 #792312  by Nasadowsk

NE2 wrote:This (I believe) explains the Jersey barrier's curve and the use of more effective but higher-maintenance cable barriers.
Supposedly the Jersey Barrier's design was based almost entirely on observation and guesswork, though when tested, it turned out to be surprisingly effective. Even the revised versions aren't much different.

Another trick is to raise the rail line a few feet above the highway, so the cars find it harder to end up there in the first place.

As for TGVs hitting trucks? They've done it, albeit at speeds on the order of 70 - 80 mph, and they actually do pretty well. Anyone who thinks a train can survive a triple digit collision with anything larger than a tiny car is either ignorant of physics, or works for the FRA. The energy involved goes up awfully fast with speed...
 #793211  by Mr.T

Chafford1 wrote:It appears that others are climbing onto the Las Vegas rail bandwagon

http://www.xtrainvegas.com/

Nostalgic snailrail taking 5.5 hours from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.
Their business model reminds me of what I've read about the "Florida Fun Train". That was a huge failure, I don't even think it lasted a year. I think this won't attract any serious investors, especially if DesertXpress actually begins construction. I didn't see any route information, do they plan to use Cajon Pass? If UP didn't want another Amtrak train on this route, then I doubt they would agree to this.
 #793509  by goodnightjohnwayne

Mr.T wrote:
Chafford1 wrote:It appears that others are climbing onto the Las Vegas rail bandwagon

Nostalgic snailrail taking 5.5 hours from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.
Their business model reminds me of what I've read about the "Florida Fun Train". That was a huge failure, I don't even think it lasted a year. I think this won't attract any serious investors, especially if DesertXpress actually begins construction. I didn't see any route information, do they plan to use Cajon Pass? If UP didn't want another Amtrak train on this route, then I doubt they would agree to this.
Well, if there had been gambling on the "Florida Fun Train," it might have been a great deal more successful - there's something to be said for any train passing through Nevada, assuming the gaming regulations allow this extra revenue stream. If NJ allowed gambling aboard the ACES train, the future of that service would be far more secure.

I also wouldn't worry about the DesertXpress, as there are many doubts surrounding the business model. Will consumers drive all the way to Victorville just to pay $200-300 per head to ride to Vegas?
 #793589  by electricron

Has anyone looked at how many get to Branson, Mo? Most come by tourist bus.
Can you imagine how many will be willing to take a tourist bus to Victorville from
Santa Monica, Los Angeles, Burbank, Pasadena, Arcadia, Azusa, Glendora, Pamona, Ontario, Fontana, and San Bernardino to Victorville and that's just a list of cities along I-10?
Look at all the cities in southern California that I left off my list. They could run a tourist bus from each city to Victorville that could fill several trains a day, saving the bus line the expense of going all the way to Las Vegas. It also makes it easier to get passengers from every city too. A similar bus strategy would be needed later to feed passengers with the DesertXpress terminating at Union Station in downtown Los Angeles.
 #793690  by george matthews

Nostalgic snailrail taking 5.5 hours from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. However it looks very appealing!

Pictures from Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Las-Vegas ... 2265934892

The picture seems to be by an artist who has never seen an actual train.
 #793729  by kaitoku

Chafford1 wrote:The 'X' Train will use re-engineered E8s with 100mph capability - apparently!
100 mph E8's OK, but will those tired old ex-metra bilevels be capable of running above 80mph without encountering stability/ride issues? After all, they were built as commuter stock.
 #793730  by kaitoku

george matthews wrote:

Nostalgic snailrail taking 5.5 hours from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. However it looks very appealing!

Pictures from Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Las-Vegas ... 2265934892

The picture seems to be by an artist who has never seen an actual train.
Haha, yeah those bilevels must be made for midgets, hunkering behind that F7, which is obviously considerably upgraded in the HP department, maybe with a nuclear reactor, or a jet turbine like some here would like;)