Railroad Forums 

• Schools offering Railroad Skills Training Courses

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#764190  by AEM7AC920

Put it that way, I got on the railroad with only 2 prior jobs those being sears and circuit city at the age of 18 so I wouldn't waste any money on training.
 #764308  by slchub

Looks like the course at Tarrant County College is only a certificate class. While some of the "credit hours" may be applicable towards a degree, I would look at taking the class as an "elective" if you will and place your emphasis on getting an AA or AS which you can use and apply towards a BA/BS in the future. I don't think the Class 1's are going to snap you off the street based upon a cert. program.

It reminds me of my time in the airline industry (16 years) whereas potential applicants who completed cert. programs at a trade school or CC as a flight attendant thought they had it in the bag. Same with reservation sales. While knowledge of the city codes, fare basis, ticket completion, customer service, etc. is helpful, the airline is going to require that you complete their training program and PAY you to do so. Same goes with the RR.

While a hiring manager may look at you as having ambition in completing a train dispatcher (TD) cert., it may better serve you better to say that you are in the process of obtaining your AA or BA in (whatever subject) which will give you "well-rounded" education and a competitive edge over those that have a AA/BA and no TD cert. vs. you only have a TD cert.
Last edited by slchub on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #764400  by chemin-de-fer

Unless you want to work the labor side your whole career, get a degree and then apply. Degree is now a minimum qualification for even lowly Trainmaster positions. If you want to see for yourself, check the Class 1 job sites and see what they require. Even if you want a trainman position there was talk of requiring a 2-year degree for those positions.

This is sad, a corporate trend where the people running things are less likely to have a grasp on the realities they are in charge of, but if I was planning to work for the railroad I'd be headed to college first. They're not hiring much now anyway.
 #766383  by RAILROADTRAINING

I HAVE 2 QUESTIONS ABOUT NARS:
1. WHY IS NARS ALSO REFFERED TO AS CHOO CHOO U?

2. AND I HAVE HEARD THAT RIGHT BEFORE YOU GRADUATE, YOU GET A PAPER SHOWING LOCATIONS THAT WILL BE HIRING SOON, AND THAT YOU CAN PICK WHICH LOCATION YOU WOULD LIKE TO GO TO FOR AN INTERVIEW, IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT I MEAN, CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME PLEASE?

THANK YOU
 #766398  by RAILROADTRAINING

since the national academy of railroad sciences is operated by the bnsf railway, and has a partnership with johnson county community college, is modoc railroad academy operated by a railroad, and does modoc have any partnership with a college or railroad?
thank you
 #766416  by RAILROADTRAINING

Since bnsf operates the national academy of railroad sciences, do other railroads such as NS, UP, CN, CP, CSX, ETC. operate there own railroad training school that is open to the public, just like the national academy of railroad sciences?
 #766500  by SooLineRob

OFF TOPIC:

Wow. RAILROADTRAINING joined today and already has 30 posts ... 30 posts per day and climbing?

Some members that count their posts are getting jealous!

Sorry, this had to be noted!

ON TOPIC...
 #767776  by chemin-de-fer

Each railroad does their own training. Most now do all their training at one center, but there are exceptions at some locations. They are open to any members of the public who have been conditionally hired.
 #767825  by charlie6017

RAILROADTRAINING wrote:since the national academy of railroad sciences is operated by the bnsf railway, and has a partnership with johnson county community college, is modoc railroad academy operated by a railroad, and does modoc have any partnership with a college or railroad?
thank you
I would definitely read the numerous posts on this particular forum. You will then be able to have a general idea that railroading is a LIFESTYLE as well as a career and that "foamers" will be frowned on. It's not all about running nice colorful engines and sitting in the seat and blasting the horn and waving out of the windows.........
Last edited by charlie6017 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #767925  by HoggerKen

charlie6017 wrote:
I would definitely read the numerous posts on this particular forum. You will then be able to have a general idea that railroading is a LIFESTYLE as well as a career and that "foamers" will be frowned on. It's not all about running nice colorful engines and sitting in the seat and blasting the horn and waving out of the wondows.........
It is not a lifestyle, it is it's own reality.
 #771333  by HoggerKen

gp80mac wrote:
HoggerKen wrote:
It is not a lifestyle, it is it's own reality.
More like it is its own non-reality.

On more than one level, I can agree. But given what behaviorists see on the whole, it is different than most other industries, even today. A lot has changed in the last five decades, but one of the few jobs that has not, is railroading. Still on-call, day or night or holidays. Still working in crappy conditions. Still harassed to no end by management. Still spends too much time away from home and family (and suffers an alarming divorce rate). Still has a higher than normal rate of substance abuse and other anti-social behaviors. One psychologist said it is inherent in the job, especially to those predisposed to such behaviors, that is the reality.
 #806424  by mrtransportation

I was wondering if anyone working or retired from the railroad industry ever used (REB) - The Railway Educational Bureau for training, extra training or improving there skills, with safety and so forth? Also like to know if was worth the money and time using them for training or improving there skills, etc? Would like your opinions on what did after you did these courses at your job? Would this be useful to improve or hurt anyones chances of getting hire by any of the companies after taking these course? If have any more comments or questions I did not ask that know of. Please let me know. You can leave response on here or private message to me.

I know would be very interested to take courses they offer to improve my skills, knowledge, learn more rules and regulations with safety and railroad industry as a whole. The courses some course cost only under $50 to costing few hundred dollars for course and materials. And I have the time and effort to do these courses as well.
 #806497  by COEN77

Do you already work for the railroad? REB appears to be for those already working who seek advancement in their craft. Most railroads have training in place for those seeking management positions/promotions. In REB description of services it states they supply materials for advance training to the railroads. It didn't seem to be a recruit training facility for those seeking employment. Basic training for new hires most railroads have there own facilities. Which REB would be a waste of time and money.