Railroad Forums 

• Schools offering Railroad Skills Training Courses

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1364210  by Jim1348

I just noticed this on my Facebook page.

http://www.dctc.edu/academics/programs- ... echnology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dakota County Technical College
56 mins ·

Want to serve as a railroad conductor in the railway industry, which is critical to our nation's livelihood? Retirement rates of current conductors promise excellent job opportunities. DCTC formed partnerships with BNSF, Railway, Canadian National, Canadian Pacific Railway, Union Pacific Railroad and many other regional and short lines to develop a curriculum that puts graduates on the fast track to employment in the industry.

Learn more at: http://www.dctc.edu/academics/programs- ... echnology/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Earn $39.55/hour
Only 16 credits
Classes begin January 25
See more at DCTC.EDU
 #1365971  by Engineer Spike

I've said this a million times on the forum, and will repeat it. My class was mainly college grads and vets. Both show a strong long term commitment. I was one of the grads, but my previous job, while in school was one with odd hours, and under extreme working conditions.

Some companies like to train their own way, while others like some experience. The one I'm on now does hire choo choo U grads, and former short line employees who want to play big league.
 #1428605  by mcgrath618

I apologize if this is off topic, but I don't think this question is important enough to create a new thread.
What is the minimum age to learn to and drive a train? I know it differs depending on the type of rail vehicle and weight.
I assume it's a lower age for trolleys than it would be for a commuter train or a subway.
 #1469225  by Gadfly

mcgrath618 wrote:I apologize if this is off topic, but I don't think this question is important enough to create a new thread.
What is the minimum age to learn to and drive a train? I know it differs depending on the type of rail vehicle and weight.
I assume it's a lower age for trolleys than it would be for a commuter train or a subway.
You won't find many less than the age of 21, IMHO. It takes time, experience, and seniority to rise to that point. Most are in their mid-late 30's. A person should also spend time gaining that experience. It is a lot of responsibility. I never did learn how to "drive" a train; I couldn't find the steering wheel! :wink: