Railroad Forums 

• Schools offering Railroad Skills Training Courses

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#137456  by RailroadDog

I believe all the railroads pay your training except for CSX is the
only one that does not.

The easiest way to get hired is thru one of the training schools such
as the NARS school in Kansas. One that is affiliated with a railroad
company.

You will pay money to attend but at least you will have a job.

Sean

#137753  by steam371

Both British Columbia institue of Technology and Southern Alberta institute of Technology offer the "Train" course.
 #147193  by DSMITCH47

Hello ,I was wondering if anyone from Canada has taken the NARS 6 week Conductor Training Course In Kansas City( BNSF Approved) and then have been hired on by a U.S. or Canadian Railroad.Thanks David, Baddeck, Nova Scotia, Canada.

#170210  by Engineer Spike

I don't think that any of these schools are really worth while. Many railroads look for someone who has taken a long term commitment. They like college degrees and military service. A former job which was physically demanding is good too.
If you want to go to school, learn something that may be more widely useful. CSX preys of the buffs who would do anything to work for a railroad. $5000 to go to school, and maybe we will hire you- screw them!

#170277  by GN 599

I have been working for the railroad since I was 19. It will be four years ago next month. The time has gone quick. M.OW. is how I got my foot in the door, did that for 3 months then craft transferred on a furlough to TY&E. Have an engineers date of 3/10/05. I got lucky I guess.

#174912  by rhallanger

From UP's website.

http://www.uprr.com/employment/rrdegree.shtml

The Associate's Degree in Railroad Operations

Listed by State or Province

A Partial Listing of Educational Institutions Offering or Intending to Offer the Degree
California Sacramento City College, Sacramento
Georgia Clayton State College, Morrow
Kansas Johnson County Community College, Overland Park*
Nebraska Western Nebraska Community College, Alliance*
Pennsylvania Community College of Philadelphia, Philadelphia

Quebec, Canada Cegep Andre-Laurendeau, Lasalle
La Commission Scolaire, 8700 Boulevard Champlain, Lasalle

Tennessee Pellissippi State Technical College, Knoxville*
Texas St. Philip's College – Southwest Campus, San Antonio
Tarrant County College, Fort Worth

*has obtained preliminary certification

A Brief Overview
The railroad industry, recognizing the need to begin training at the college level to prepare employees for the challenging careers available in railroading, has worked with a number of community colleges to develop an associate's degree in railroad operations. This two-year degree is intended to give the student a general knowledge of the railroad industry and its history, and prepare the participant to apply for an entry-level postion in the field. Several of the sites listed above give a more detailed description of the degree and the specific courses involved.
 #179854  by DORF

Dakota County Tech College in Minnesota is now offering a basic Railroad Class that is sponsored by the Union Pacific and Canadian Pacific Railroads.

#180250  by Newcastletrain

CSX does not put you into a classroom unless there is a position for you. There is none of this "maybe we will hire you". That isn't to say everyone gets hired. Some wash out because they are concerned about the safety issues, some because they cannot pass the drug screening or the physical, and others are terminated because of lying on resume or an insubordinate attitude.
We had 13 in my class... three dropped after the second day of class for several reasons (they got 75% of their money back) The rest of us all went to the hiring interview and were given conditional offers of employment, contingent on passsing the class, physical and drug screening. Out of the 10 of us we all got hired and went to Atlanta REDI center. 2 were fired down there, simply put they could not control themselves. Down to 8 now. One other was fired within a month (but he was the one who didn't know 5 measley hand signals after 5 weeks). when asked to give an ahead signal he gave a back up. But they still hired him and he hung himself on the job. So after 8 months there are 7 of us still working. 7 out of 13 doesn't sound good, but in all reality I wouldn't want any of the others holding my life in their hands.
Yeah the $4250 sucks, and I would agree with a payback of some sort...such as $2000 bonus after 1st year of employment and $2250 after 2nd. But I don't run the show...the engineer does LOL.
 #204704  by curtin

I am currently attending a conductor training program, in Overland Park KS. At Johnson County Community College its a 6 week course

#299142  by COEN77

Newcastletrain wrote: One other was fired within a month (but he was the one who didn't know 5 measley hand signals after 5 weeks). when asked to give an ahead signal he gave a back up.
Ha!!! The only hand signal I've ever seen on a newbie is the thumb when he presses the key on the radio. So, I don't know why CSX would even waste peoples time. Unfortuately hand signals have gone to the wayside, I've educated several new conductors on hand signals and most have been very appreciative knowing one day that radio will puke out.

#299312  by slchub

Plus it is fun to use hand signs in the yard so as the managers have no idea what your doing.

#299579  by GOLDEN-ARM

Newcastletrain wrote: But I don't run the show...the engineer does LOL.
I see your on your way, to the top! Good Job!!! :wink:

#299580  by GOLDEN-ARM

slchub wrote:Plus it is fun to use hand signs in the yard so as the managers have no idea what your doing.
Aww, Schlub, don't give away ALL the good secrets...... :wink:

#331331  by PSNOUS

Just finished up the 6 week NARS class at JCCC in KS