• RR workwear: Discussed here!

  • General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

  • 233 posts
  • 1
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  by mikec1973
 
yes i have, got them for my boot allowance from csx. take a bit to break in, and wear pretty quickly on the stone, but are comfortable.
  by Bigt
 
I've read a few posts that mention headware. My question is this, does anyone
still use the wool Kromer caps of days gone by? Or, are they too an item of dress
that will get you laughed off the right of way? Some of the posts mentioned that
the road provides headware....if so, what is it? Thanks.
  by Freddy
 
Bigt wrote:I've read a few posts that mention headware. My question is this, does anyone
still use the wool Kromer caps of days gone by? Or, are they too an item of dress
that will get you laughed off the right of way? Some of the posts mentioned that
the road provides headware....if so, what is it? Thanks.
I knew a welder that wore one, he put his welder helmet on over it.
  by Gadfly
 
Yes, I saw people wear them in the shops because they were softer and allowed the use of welding masks, goggles, etc, easily turned around backwards. Most Transportation people wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing that: it is part of a bygone era!


GF
  by Bigt
 
Thanks, you guys are talking about the cotton Kromers that have been a mainstay of
welders and steelworkers for years. I was speaking of the wool version with the pull down
ear cover.....yes, from a bygone era. I know, quit living in the "old days"....modern railroaders
don't take to such nonsense.
  by gp80mac
 
Bigt wrote:Thanks, you guys are talking about the cotton Kromers that have been a mainstay of
welders and steelworkers for years. I was speaking of the wool version with the pull down
ear cover.....yes, from a bygone era. I know, quit living in the "old days"....modern railroaders
don't take to such nonsense.
98% of current RRers wouldn't even know what a Kromer is, the other 2% don't care. Nobody should worry what others think about what you wear. If it works for you, then go for it. Nobody will bust your balls for being warm on a cold night. If railroaders of the past wore them - there is a reason: it must have worked.

A railroader is only cold, wet, or hungry once. Then they learn.
  by TotalLamer
 
Not sure how it goes on the other roads, but spend a year with CSX and you'll have all sorts of free workwear emblazoned with your yard's name, city, whatever.

We hit 8 years injury free in Pinoca like 6 months back and got so much schwag on that day alone it's insane.
  by madmax52
 
Does anyone have experience with composit toe shoes? Do any of the companies allow them in lieu of steel toe boots?
  by mdr406
 
I had a pair of composite toe shoes and I did not notice much of a difference, other than a slightly lighter shoe. Most companies allow them.

Just give your company's HR a call to be sure.
  by MichaelB86
 
Gadfly wrote:Yes, I saw people wear them in the shops because they were softer and allowed the use of welding masks, goggles, etc, easily turned around backwards. Most Transportation people wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing that: it is part of a bygone era!


GF
Up until recently I was working over the road through the sierras and I wore a sheepskin hat with earflaps and nobody really cared. I see some of the weirdo's working out here lol A funny hat isn't a big deal.

BTW, any of you guys know of some real good rainwear? Most stuff I find now seems flimsy and pricey despite the lesser quality.
  by COEN77
 
I see all the comments on Stormy Kromer's. I never wore one but knew others that did on the railroad. Yesterday got a catalog for a clearance sale for National Geographic and they had "Stormy Kromer" hats on sale for $9.99 (regularly $39.99).

http://www.ShopNG.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by gobucks90
 
Would any AR670-1 compliant boots from the army fit the boot requirements? I start conductor training in a few weeks.
  by MichaelB86
 
gobucks90 wrote:Would any AR670-1 compliant boots from the army fit the boot requirements? I start conductor training in a few weeks.
I think as long as the heel is 90 degrees from the sole. IE, the heel comes straight down you should be good. I believe they need to be steel toed but at first you can play it off and pretend. They should give you a boot voucher that pays for a good pair of boots. I'd definitely hold out for that.
  by dunee88
 
great thread. I've picked up Timberland PRO Men's Pitboss 6" Steel-Toe Boot. These are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Definitely recommend.
  by John_Perkowski
 
Being a soldier, albeit retired, US Army boots are not safety boots. We do not have steel toes as a matter of course
  • 1
  • 12
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16