Railroad Forums 

• RR workwear: Discussed here!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#982615  by Chuck84

If a railcar or locomotive where to roll over your foot...... your loosing it whether or not your wearing steel toe boots.....I have never worn soft toe boots. I love my steel toes, my feet get no colder in the winter with steel.
 #982710  by awbro

absolutely! but if you drop a knuckle, you're not going to end up with severed toes! not even broken ones.
 #982742  by Freddy

Chuck84 wrote:If a railcar or locomotive where to roll over your foot...... your loosing it whether or not your wearing steel toe boots.....I have never worn soft toe boots. I love my steel toes, my feet get no colder in the winter with steel.
True. Boot making has come a long way. Also I always wore insulated boots and they were no hotter in summer than in winter.
 #982882  by Chuck84

The technique that we use to change a knuckle here would make it really hard to drop in on your foot. Even if you did, wearing a good pair of leather boots, it shouldn't hurt much anyway.
 #983955  by jphill

So you are saying that it drop a knuckle on your toes it is not going to hurt w/o steel toes? Please I would like to a demonstration.
 #984006  by mispeed

I used steel toe red wings before and over 3 years - the soles are almost completely gone, were never waterproof as advertised, nor warm in any way. plus they were never abused other that walking outdoors in the winter and climbing a ladder... to be honest I don't care if I spend over 200 if I can get warm, waterproof, durable soles, safety toe,breathable boots.

I have heard terms like goretex, vibram, lodger, insulated, and so on...

what is the best out there for ballast and railroading in general.

thanks!
 #984254  by proto05

I just bought a pair of fleece-lined jeans from basspro for about $30 bucks. so comftorable and keeps you WARM in 30 degree nights. I recommend them.
 #984761  by Chuck84

jphill wrote:So you are saying that it drop a knuckle on your toes it is not going to hurt w/o steel toes? Please I would like to a demonstration.
A knuckle weighs about 80-85lbs. If it falls on your foot, it will sting. But like I said, dropping one on your foot will be very difficult if you follow the rules.
 #984991  by Kazecap0ne

Chuck84 wrote:
jphill wrote:So you are saying that it drop a knuckle on your toes it is not going to hurt w/o steel toes? Please I would like to a demonstration.
A knuckle weighs about 80-85lbs. If it falls on your foot, it will sting. But like I said, dropping one on your foot will be very difficult if you follow the rules.

it would do a little more then "sting" with no steel toe.....
 #986312  by jr145

And pay attention when you pull a knuckle open. Just because the head of a knuckle pin is there, doesn't mean the rest of it is.
 #986496  by gp80mac

Isn't that the worst feeling in the world? When you go to pop a knuckle and it just falls down to the ground, with that sickening THUD sound?
 #986497  by Chuck84

gp80mac wrote:Isn't that the worst feeling in the world? When you go to pop a knuckle and it just falls down to the ground, with that sickening THUD sound?
lol. But if your feet are OUTSIDE the rails, like the rules say, then your foot won't get touched. And I would like to see someone pull a knuckle hard enough to make it land outside.
 #986833  by jr145

Chuck84 wrote:
gp80mac wrote:Isn't that the worst feeling in the world? When you go to pop a knuckle and it just falls down to the ground, with that sickening THUD sound?
lol. But if your feet are OUTSIDE the rails, like the rules say, then your foot won't get touched. And I would like to see someone pull a knuckle hard enough to make it land outside.

I've done it.