Railroad Forums 

• HOW WOULD A GG1 STACK UP TO TODAYS ELECTRICS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1020938  by DutchRailnut

It would suck, no visibility, noisy, cold drafty, no HEP and max speed of 100 mph.
yup it could pull 14 cars but how many trains have that many cars these days.
 #1021199  by Hawaiitiki

It had a cooler sounding horn and a lot of staying power. But modern European Electrics and NJT's ALP46s would tear Ole Rivets to pieces in terms of functionality and comfort.
 #1021234  by Sirsonic

DutchRailnut wrote:It would suck, no visibility, noisy, cold drafty, no HEP and max speed of 100 mph.
yup it could pull 14 cars but how many trains have that many cars these days.
I don't know if you mean they would be restricted to 100, but they were capable of well over than figure.
 #1021313  by DutchRailnut

they were built for and timetable restricted to 100 mph.
despite rumors.
 #1021435  by Sirsonic

Nobody said it was legal, but it was done without incident on an almost regular basis. Not being legal also doesn't make it a rumor.
 #1021528  by DutchRailnut

so does my car exceed 55 regularly so what ??
mayube these speed demons actually destroyed the GG-1 with the frame cracks ?? ever think of it that way ??
 #1021596  by amtrakowitz

DutchRailnut wrote:so does my car exceed 55 regularly so what ??
mayube these speed demons actually destroyed the GG-1 with the frame cracks ?? ever think of it that way ??
They sure outlasted the EP-5s in spite of the cracked frames. As for "speed demons", 100 mph wasn't fast for a lot of steamers.
 #1028669  by Jtgshu

DutchRailnut wrote:they were built for and timetable restricted to 100 mph.
despite rumors.
I was going through an old issue of Trains i have (September 1978) and I thought of this thread

From "Arrivals and Departures" pg 14:
G's Plus: With 16 Metroliner cars at GE for remodeling (refurbished interiors) and upgrading (air intakes on the roof), Amtrak has assigned GG1 hauled Amfleet consists to some Metroliner Schedules. Pennsylvania painted GG1 4935 is one of eight G's geared for 110mph that are assigned to these runs"
Ironically enough, the next page has 2 pictures of GG1 Amtrak 920 on fire at Midway on 6/11/78. One pic shows it on track 1 stopped right in the middle of the interlocking with smoke pouring out its carbody, the next picture shows it cut away and parked on the Amboy Secondary and firemen still geared up finishing putting the fire out.

This is a great issue, there is a whole section describing NJDOT commuter operations on various lines, especially the current Hoboken side - the title of the article is

"This can't be Millburn. There's no bar across the street."
" 'Somebody give me 'two' on the train line and we can go' "

Written by Thomas Meehan - that name looks familar, I think that might be a poster here? If so, great article! haha
 #1028689  by NY&LB

Geeeeee...wonder wher you found that old Trains magazine! I have one from the late '60 {1968 I think} with a cover store "GG1 Twighlight call" {or something like that, I'll have to check what that says about their speed.
Note that http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/specs.html also says 100mph in service.

JT: you would like this feature "Control Notches: 22 for passenger service, 17 for freight"
 #1028733  by Jtgshu

NY&LB wrote:Geeeeee...wonder wher you found that old Trains magazine! I have one from the late '60 {1968 I think} with a cover store "GG1 Twighlight call" {or something like that, I'll have to check what that says about their speed.
Note that http://www.spikesys.com/GG1/specs.html also says 100mph in service.

JT: you would like this feature "Control Notches: 22 for passenger service, 17 for freight"
I dunno where i found it or got it from ;)

22 notches!!!!! your right! i would like that! Well, the controllers in the ALPs has infinite notches as it doesn't have notches haha - i like to play a game and see if i can guess what throttle percentage im gonna be at.....and then if i can say move it up exactly 10 percent ..... weird, yes, but hey, it passes the time and keeps me awake when I gotta run 3800....

But "Notch 8 and brake" sounds better than "Notch 22 and brake"