• HOW WOULD A GG1 STACK UP TO TODAYS ELECTRICS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by F3A

There's still nothing like the site of 2 GG1's leading a Florida-bound passenger train...usually about 18 cars.
  by DutchRailnut

todays Florida trains can easely be hauled by one hhp-8 or two meatballs.
  by chucksc

amtrakowitz wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:so does my car exceed 55 regularly so what ??
mayube these speed demons actually destroyed the GG-1 with the frame cracks ?? ever think of it that way ??
They sure outlasted the EP-5s in spite of the cracked frames. As for "speed demons", 100 mph wasn't fast for a lot of steamers.
That would probably be because the NH never spent any money maintaining the Jets! Unlike the GG1 which was maintained at least as long as there was a PRR to do it.....
  by Mr. Ed

I don't know; how would a 1956 Ford stack up against a 2012 Ford? Same idea, no comparison.

Later!
Mr. Ed
  by airman00

Mr. Ed wrote:I don't know; how would a 1956 Ford stack up against a 2012 Ford? Same idea, no comparison.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Well along that line of thinking... I personally don't think that things today are made like they used to be made. Notice how 40 and 50 year old GP and SW series loco's continue to soldier on. And yet newer loco's have lots of bugs to work out, sometimes for a number of years. So I think an old beast like a GG1 would do just fine. :)