Railroad Forums 

• Metuchen Yard Operations and Vicinity

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1076597  by TAMR213

ME-2 with 5 cars for General Tire, currently waiting for 1 to get by to then open up at National Can and head west.
 #1078139  by nick11a

Good to see that the job is hanging on.

It's amazing that they head to the Millstone every day. As far as I can tell, there is only one customer left on it.
 #1083390  by TAMR213

ME-2 just received a Form D from CETC-8 to operate west on 1 track between EDISON and MIDWAY, assuming they are on their way to Deans.
 #1087896  by amtrakhogger

OI-32 came through Metropark around 7:15pm tonight on its way to Lincoln for the west leg of the wye. Power was two SD40-2's (CSX.)
 #1102069  by TAMR213

Just saw a massive (relativly speaking) train head south through Highland Park. Missed the head end, but it must have been at least 20 cars, consisting of many boxcars, tank cars, gondolas with steel, etc. Some of these have not been used out of Metuchen in years (but are common out of Browns Yard). In addition, freight trains normally never operate here on weekends. Could this train have been a detoured transfer job from Oak Island to Browns? I am unaware as to what the condition of the Chemical Coast is like, and the small section of the NJCL that this train normally traverses.

If this is a detour train to Browns as I suspect, this must be the first movement like this in years. Can anyone shed anymore light on this? If this will be a normal occurance over the next few days, I'd like to try to catch it trackside. Just a heads up for anyone between Metuchen-Monmouth Jct-Jamesburg...
 #1102081  by TAMR213

I believe this is whats happening due to what I'm currently hearing on my scanner. The train was symbol OI-93 and is currently just west of MIDWAY. Look for an OI-95 train to be coming out at MIDWAY shortly for the trip up to Oak Island.

Can anyone provide any information on how long they may be operating like this?
 #1107128  by TAMR213

CETC-8 just gave ME-2 (CSX 4441) permission to open up at Deans and occupy Track 1 between MIDWAY and COUNTY.
 #1110618  by TAMR213

Sorry for the late post guys, but ME-2 came west through HP today at about 4PM with the CSX 4441, 13 cars and caboose.
 #1113417  by ccutler

While riding the Acela at 1:30pm today I saw a freight train in Metuchin in a siding on the north side of the tracks just SW of I-287 with an engine, 12 freight cars, and a caboose. The mix of cars was 3 plastic pellet cars, 3 covered hoppers, 5 box cars, and a C&D gondola.

J&J factory on Route 1 is starting to be demolished. and the freight track SW of there looks unused, having fallen trees still on it.
 #1114023  by TAMR213

ME-2 passed south through Highland Park at approx. 4:15 today. CSX 4441 was in the lead, with a debris gondola, 3 or 4 covered hoppers, a boxcar and the caboose.

ccutler,
That was likely ME-2, if it was on the track 4 side (opposite Metuchen Receiving Yard) it was working on the National Can lead. The freight track by J&J in North Brunswick is known as the Delco IT. Your observation would seem correct, other posters in this thread have speculated that, sadly, there is only 1 customer left at Jersey Ave.
 #1114055  by amtrakhogger

ccutler wrote:While riding the Acela at 1:30pm today I saw a freight train in Metuchin in a siding on the north side of the tracks just SW of I-287 with an engine, 12 freight cars, and a caboose. The mix of cars was 3 plastic pellet cars, 3 covered hoppers, 5 box cars, and a C&D gondola.

J&J factory on Route 1 is starting to be demolished. and the freight track SW of there looks unused, having fallen trees still on it.
The Delco IT is largely unused as of late but those trees that have fallen on the ROW are recent (some from Sandy.) There were many down trees along the ROW last year but were removed.
 #1114253  by ccutler

Thanks for the clarification.

Most of the leads at the National Can site looked to have shiny rail and I was happy to see that much traffic still existing in that area of the NE Corridor.

the downed trees near J&J all looked recent.