Railroad Forums 

• CMSL Cape May (NJ) Seashore Lines Non-Passenger Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1536050  by liftedjeep

Today (3/7) saw a rare, lite engine move from Tuckahoe to the wye at Bulson Street in Camden, to spin a pair of the GP38's on lease to Cape May Seashore Lines. The CA-84 crew was onboard.

The CA-84 "extra" crew coming off of the Beesley's Point Secondary at CP BROWN in Camden:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5275551

Both GP38's,
-GMTX #2015 (Built in 1969, and intended for use on the PRSL as #2013 ) and,
-GMTX #2661 (Built in 1970, and intended for use on the PRSL as #2011) on the north leg of the Bulson Street wye. As seen from the Broadway overpass:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5275554

Finally, my shot of the locomotives headed back down the "Bees" to Tuckahoe, and past the former Audubon station which was built circa 1890, and currently serves as a dentist office:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5275559

Ben
 #1538456  by glennk419

Looks like more car storage business for CMSL.

This is from another chat board that I frequent and moderate, observed in Ashland, Va on 4/1: yesterday morning's unit tank train was K496, storage move to Tuckahoe, NJ
 #1538779  by chuchubob

Conrail FC80 brought 100 empty tank cars from Pavonia on Sunday. The train went south on Conrail's track to clear the switch to Tony's siding and the power uncoupled. Tony's Geeps then coupled to the rear and pulled the train north past the switch to the CMSL main and pushed the train south for storage.
 #1538780  by liftedjeep

glennk419 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm Looks like more car storage business for CMSL.

This is from another chat board that I frequent and moderate, observed in Ashland, Va on 4/1: yesterday morning's unit tank train was K496, storage move to Tuckahoe, NJ
Glenn,

That storage move took place Sunday afternoon (4/5). FC-80 crew I believe. They took the empty tanks south to Tuckahoe, then returned north with a bunch of empty gondolas.

Ben
 #1550211  by Bracdude181

While helping out a friend in Lakehurst today I noticed that there was tire tracks on the rails at the Union Ave crossing. I checked the entire line from Lakehurst to Woodmansie and found that fallen trees had been removed and weeds close the rails appeared to have been run over. The same tire tracks seen in Lakehurst were also at all the railroad crossings I checked. Looks like a high-rail truck went down the line recently....
 #1550571  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:While helping out a friend in Lakehurst today I noticed that there was tire tracks on the rails at the Union Ave crossing. I checked the entire line from Lakehurst to Woodmansie and found that fallen trees had been removed and weeds close the rails appeared to have been run over. The same tire tracks seen in Lakehurst were also at all the railroad crossings I checked. Looks like a high-rail truck went down the line recently....
Looks like they had a weed sprayer with them.
 #1551806  by Bracdude181

Looks like the ROW inspection/weed spraying on the line in Lakehurst and points south was more thorough than I initially thought. They sprayed a wider area and nearly all of the vegetation near the tracks is dead, along with the aforementioned tree removal.

Normally NJSL comes in once a year to check on the line and do basic preventative maintenance, but up until now they haven't been as thorough. Maybe we will see some trains soon?
 #1553344  by Bracdude181

A contractor crew was in Lakehurst today preparing to rebuild the crossing on Union Ave. According to the crew, the existing crossing equipment will be removed and replaced with new lights and gates. A circuit will also be placed on the Toms River Industrial Track lead incase either Conrail or NJ Seashore Lines decides to reactivate the line in the future.

The wiring for the crossing circuit is currently being installed and the new equipment will probably be installed in a few weeks.

I could be wrong but we might be seeing trains towards the end of the year or maybe early next spring.
 #1553345  by liftedjeep

Back in April of this year, I saw a post on the "Southern Railroad of New Jersey" thread stating that the Rt 322 grade crossing in the Williamstown area was to be replaced. I found this odd because it had been over 10 years since that portion of the line had been utilized. (Trains seldom travel any further south than Winslow Junction since the Hot Mix asphalt plant began receiving stone via truck. The Rt 322 crossing is about a mile or two south of the Hot Mix asphalt plant). I spoke with an SRNJ employee who informed me that the crossing had to be replaced to keep it compliant and up to date with the line's owner, regardless of whether or not the brand new rails would ever see a train.

The point I'm getting at..... Is it possible that the track/crossing work taking place in Lakehurst is simply for the same reason: to keep the line "up to code" regardless if it will see rail traffic any time soon? It seems like every year or two, MoW work is done along the Southern Secondary, only to see the rails gather more rust and become overgrown yet again.

I truly hope that we will see service resume again one day soon. But I have a feeling it will indeed have to be something SEEN in order to be believed.

Ben