• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

• 128 posts
  by Bracdude181

@JohnFromJersey Hate to say it, but I honestly don't think the MOM Project will come to fruition. NJT is bad enough as it is.

There are a few people along the line who could get rail service, but Conrail won't bother fixing the line if these places are only gonna get one or two cars every so often. However, if the Ciba Geicy land is clean enough, A rail to truck transloading and Intermodal terminal could be built there. That's personally something I would love to see, and it could draw some big traffic to this line if setup and run properly.

Would actually make a nice line for NJ Seashore Lines to run. They'd have their sand trains from Lakehurst to Woodmansie and back with the potential of railcar storage south of the Clayton pit, while the TRIT becomes a small branch line with a few customers and a transloading terminal at Ciba Geicy.

That's how I would do it at least. Nevertheless , it's unusual that anyone would spend money to fix a crossing on a line that's currently abandoned. Would it be cheaper to just take the rails up and pave over the crossing?
  by Bracdude181

@WashingtonPark Yeah the groundwater is still bad but they can't build anything on the clean topsoil?
  by WashingtonPark

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the EPA allowing anything to be built within the boundaries of a Superfund site while it's still in the process of being cleaned up. Know of any examples?
  by Bracdude181

@WashingtonPark Can't say that I do. I'd still like to see a rail to truck transloading center somewhere in the area though.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:45 pm @WashingtonPark Can't say that I do. I'd still like to see a rail to truck transloading center somewhere in the area though.
Was there ever a plan to have a rail to truck transloading facility in Ocean County? It doesn't seem like there would be enough demand, and I'd imagine Toms River would oppose it cause the increase in traffic.

If the ARC tunnel ever gets through, or NJT somehow gets privatized, I think we could see a MOM line come to fruition.
  by GSC

I've been saying all along that the Ciba-Geigy plant would make a great place for a park-and-ride terminal. Terminate the MOM line there instead of Lakewood. Would take so much traffic off the roads. Need a feasibility study? Sit near Route 37 and the Parkway any morning or evening and watch the insane traffic.
  by Tanker1497

Toms River twp. has already talked at open public forums about RailRoad use of Ciba Geigy. The site encompasses approximately 1,400 acres, 320 of which was only ever developed. The train to truck was being thought to be built around the removed 47,000 drums in several pits. The other roughtly 1,100 acres is going to be developed sooner than later!
Union Carbide knows that's prime real estate! Remember most of any hazardous waste was pump into the Toms River. Which was totally legal for most of the time they were doing it! As for use of a superfund site.
The Former Legler Landfill superfund site located in Jackson, NJ - former landfill operated by Jackson Township in 70s. Site reportedly had fires that could not be put out with water, unauthorized materials dumping, etc. Site currently utilized as a recreational air field for model planes and such, named Wiskow Field. Which has gone on since 1990 the field uses a small portion of the 110 acres. And the pit area isn't on any hazardous hot spots. A fence blocks access to these spots. So I see no reason why Ciba Geigy could not be used for RailRoad activity so long as no one is living on the land.