Railroad Forums 

• Toms River Industrial Track!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#822853  by Kaback9

gravelyfan wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:There were supposed to be about 12 Hi-cube boxcars of powdered clay in large sacks to Ciba-Geigy in May, 2010. Because of missing switches and other track problems, about half of the traffic was trucked all the way from the mine in Wyoming. The other 6 box car loads were diverted to Fairless, Pa., on Tyburn RR to be unloaded, and the product trucked from there to Ciba-Geigy.
If those cars were Plate F cars, they never could have gotten to the TRIT, as there are low clearances between Wood and Essay on the North Jersey Coast Line (the route used by the Oak Island - Browns Yard transfer job).
There are other ways to get to Browns if need be...
 #823145  by gravelyfan

Kaback9 wrote:
gravelyfan wrote: If those cars were Plate F cars, they never could have gotten to the TRIT, as there are low clearances between Wood and Essay on the North Jersey Coast Line (the route used by the Oak Island - Browns Yard transfer job).
Yes, more than one way to get there, but the route via Midway and the west end of the Amboy Secondary does not afford Plate F (up to 17'0") clearances either.
 #823403  by wolfboy8171981

gravelyfan wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:
gravelyfan wrote: If those cars were Plate F cars, they never could have gotten to the TRIT, as there are low clearances between Wood and Essay on the North Jersey Coast Line (the route used by the Oak Island - Browns Yard transfer job).
Yes, more than one way to get there, but the route via Midway and the west end of the Amboy Secondary does not afford Plate F (up to 17'0") clearances either.

That is sorta correct. The low point on that end of the Amboy is the Rt 130 O.H Br. TTSI 119-5 lists the maximum height for both the Amboy and Southern Sec at 16'2 and Up to and inculding Plate "G", however that is due to the restrictions on NJT. I remember a 16'8 or 16'10 White Top came in and out via Midway one day some years back.
 #823658  by GSC

If there were no clearance issues, would the TRIT have been reactivated for this move?
 #953241  by jrzwalker86

With regards to some of the posts regarding the clearing of the CNJ from Woodmansie and north, I have to give credit to CJPat, NYSW2300, and David for posting ideas they shared concerning the future use TRIT. I had also had similar thoughts about that piece of land perhaps one day becoming a New Jersey Transportation Museum as well as part of the land at Liberty State Park that is closed off. As much as I love dreaming about having places like this that represent our industrial and transportation past, I'm afraid that the only way it will ever happen is if it receives public support and much lobbying to our representatives as well as a much improved economy with much of the government corruption removed. The idea of having dinner trains from Toms River down the old Blue Comet route sounds feasible simply because of the amount of forestry still surrounding the former land given that all of the roadbed can be rehabilitated at lower cost. Of course, too the Ceiba Land does sound like a great place for commuters to park to take a train into the city. Of course though, it would have to be efficient since there is only one track to Red Bank. So, how can we make these things happen? :)
 #953287  by TRR1960

Interesting thoughts regarding use of the Ciba site. But I think it would be better to add parking to the NJT bus lot with a parking deck than to move the whole thing to the Ciba site. Just replace one small trestle over the Toms and a bit of track and you are there. Rt. 37, west of the GSP, is not the quite little highway it was when Ciba was active. I can’t say I’m familiar with railroads all over the state, but how many grade crossings are there on such a busy road with that many lanes? Not to mention that fact that half of the drivers on that side of the Parkway should have stopped driving a decade ago and might not even notice lowered crossing gates. Of course the few smaller grade crossings going into Holiday City would present a similar, if not smaller, problem. The high voter turnout of citizens in that area is likely to throw a monkey wrench in either scenario. Maybe Lakehurst is a more realistic terminus after all.
 #953322  by David

The Route 37 crossing going into Ciba is the most protected crossing I have ever seen. There were some pictures of it several months (year) ago on here. If anyone has a copy of that crossing, please repost---Having a dinner train originate from that vacant piece of property would be perfect and traveling south down the old CNJ to let's say Chatsworth would be quite an experience!
 #953381  by ns3010

Yes, that crossing is very impressive. I was there a few weeks ago (on my way to the South Jersey trip, as a matter of fact), and was still impressed with the size of it, just as much as I was when I was younger. Must have been neat to see it all light up as the train passed. Six lanes and sixteen pairs of flashers (at least, maybe more, even double?), I believe. I think it's the largest grade crossing in the state.
 #953466  by JimBoylan

GSC wrote:If there were no clearance issues, would the TRIT have been reactivated for this move?
Because it didn't happen, I suspect that 12 cars wouldn't have earned enough to pay for the work and track inspections.
The delay while someone was trying to decide meant that 6 car loads were trucked all the way, so there was less potential revenue for the expenses.
 #953543  by carajul

Wow I just looked at the Rt 37 xing into the old chemical plant.

All those flashing lights haven't been illuminated since 1990? Do you think they will work or are the batteries dead and bulbs blow? That sure is an impressive crossing protection!
 #954545  by GSC

Ah, the old days.

Except for a couple of chance chases of freight from Lakehurst to Toms River (I was just a kid, and Dad was doing the "let's go for a ride" thing), my best memory of the TRIT was when the company I drove 18-wheeler for, heavy equipment movers, was hired to bring four laminated bridge beams (10,000 lbs each, 80 feet long), from Woodhaven Lumber's siding just east to the park (name?) on Rt 37 that was being rebuilt with new roads, new road bridge, etc. This was about 1980 or so. Route 37 wasn't a big super highway then, and I had some traffic backed up swinging those long beams into the skinny entrance road to the park.

For years, CNJ caboose 91245 and three CRP boxcars sat in Toms River, until they went to Pine Creek at Allaire. Longtime landmarks.

I'm still on the side of using Ciba's property for a terminal and park & ride. You know senior village developers are waiting for that to be cleaned up so they can plant lots of condos. We have enough senior housing down there, so how about something different, like needed rail service?
 #960992  by Tanker1497

carajul wrote:Wow I just looked at the Rt 37 xing into the old chemical plant.

All those flashing lights haven't been illuminated since 1990? Do you think they will work or are the batteries dead and bulbs blow? That sure is an impressive crossing protection!
It wasn't that long ago that the train to lumber yard would have to nose out on to Rt 37 when switching cars. Those lights worked than. That was maybe 2 years ago!
 #961133  by R36 Combine Coach

GSC wrote:I'm still on the side of using Ciba's property for a terminal and park & ride. You know senior village developers are waiting for that to be cleaned up so they can plant lots of condos. We have enough senior housing down there, so how about something different, like needed rail service?
The bus terminal at exit 81 is directly on the old CNJ ROW, so just extend the track east over the old ROW there for the park & ride.
 #962402  by GSC

Bus terminal, Ciba plant, whatever works. I just want to see something happen. The need is there.
 #968049  by Hulka

I to remember seeing the train pull out across both lanes of Rt.37 to back cars into the lumber yard. That was back in the late 90's early 2000. As for that old station it is in Beachwood not STR.