Railroad Forums 

• Lamoille Valley thread and Conversion to Rail Trail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#70983  by sjl

coos, the atheneum is the museum in downtown st. johnsbury. it is up the hill from the depot. i don't remember the street name, but i think the street is also Rt 5.

a friend of mine has a color photo of the swanton bridge he took in the 70's. i'll ty to get it scanned -- it will take a couple of weeks though.

i think the other RS-11 ended up in somebody's back yard up around enosburg falls. they had to remove the traction motors and engine to do it, though. there was a b&w photo in a previous CVRHS Amabssador issue. I'll get the issue # and let you know.

ron

#71069  by oibu

You have not found the 7805 because it is IN the enginehouse at Morrisville!!! (or at least it had been for most of the time since the LVRC shut down, and was as of August 2003 when I last vistied Morrisville...) 7805 never left, and I guess since it was the only remaining unit that isn't a basketcase (actually in pretty nice shape as of the shutdown) they kept it inside out of the vandals and weather.
 #71314  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

I'm 99% sure the 7805 was scrapped I was up there August 04 and looked through the windows of the roundhouse and it was totally vacant. I have heard other people say that the engine indoors was cut up before the stuff outside was.

#71418  by coosvalley

sjl, saw your post and I am lookimg forward to the pic. thanks. :-D I,too can say for sure the Morrisville enginehouse was empty as of early summer of this year.However,there was no evidence of scrapping or any recent activity.Maybe the 7805 escaped the torch,but I doubt it. There is good news, though. Today the recently painted red 3612 made her first run through the fisher covered bridge on my N-scale model railroad. :wink:

#71454  by Trackmobile

This may have already been asked and answered but what will (if it hasn`t already happened) become of the old GE 70tonner outside the Morrisville shops?

#71737  by thebigham

#7805 was scrapped.

#1195 is on the Lake State RY in Michigan.

Chris

#71738  by thebigham

oibu wrote:I assume the engine which is privately owned and will be trucked out is the 7805? Glad it will be saved, although it sounds like the engine will be removed:(
This unit is the ex-M&B 70-tonner.

Chris

#72219  by sjl

all right coosvalley! and here i thought i was the only N-scaler trying to accomplish that! wasn't that a neat kit to build?

so, now all we need is a good N-scale 70 Tonner. 'til then, my orange-and-black SW8's will have to do....

#72937  by coosvalley

bigham, What is the 1195?I saw some photos of it,but was this unit on the LVRC/NHVT roster? Could I have missed this?

#78774  by thebigham

#1195 is the old NH&VT #405.

Chris

#78776  by thebigham

According to someone who works for VRS, the scrapper started tearing up rail at MP14 near West Danville. He thinks they didn't get too far due to the cold weather. Work is now finished until spring.

Chris

Hi

#90026  by thebigham

NERail has some new pics of the LVRC track around Wolcott from December 2004.

Chris

#91242  by NRGeep

Was the LV ever used as a detour by other RR's?

#92490  by sjl

The Vermont Railway Systems 2005 Calendar has several shots of the Conn River line, including one taken at St. Johnsbury. It shows the former Champlain Flyer GP-38 (blue) at the south end of town.

ron
 #117521  by thebigham

Any scrapping news?

Chris