Railroad Forums 

• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#606958  by SilverLakeRailroad

I work @ slrr, so ill try to amnswer some questions. First off, if you have any unanswered questions about the operations of SLRR, the Silver lake RR, the RR e-mail is [email protected] . If your looking for photos of the SLRR, i would follow this link to nerail: http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order= ... 20Railroad
We're doing the best we can, trying to have a great railroad operation.
Last edited by SilverLakeRailroad on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #607153  by musehobo

Thanks for the update on running south. Leave it to the state to make everthing good a problem. Rode the line twice with the grandchildren and they loved it. Will make sure we get there next year to try out the ice cream, too. It's a wonder the state doesn't create a problem there. Thanks for a great little ride, it's perfect.
 #674928  by b&m 1566

There is still no website! I thought for sure there would be something... not even a MySpace page.
 #675019  by Otto Vondrak

b&m 1566 wrote:There is still no website! I thought for sure there would be something... not even a MySpace page.
MySpace? Really? I think I would avoid any railroad that decided a MySpace page was a good idea.

-otto-
 #675190  by b&m 1566

I wouldn't expect it either but I had to throw it out there! In fact I would probably frown upon it.
 #675471  by SilverLakeRailroad

If anyone has any good ideas for free websites, that publish adds on google, we would be happy to accept your suggestion.... and Myspace is not very suiting for us... I've never heard of a railroad on myspace, and we do not want to start this because, as you said, many people would frown upon it.
Last edited by SilverLakeRailroad on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #675475  by SilverLakeRailroad

Mattydred wrote:Does anyone know if the Silver Lake is going to be open for Memorial Day?
Im sorry i did not get to answer this question in a timely manner, but SLRR does not open for Memorial day weekend. It is a good idea, but we do not have enough time to open for a weekend, and then close... we are still wrapped up in our spring projectrs, with extending the line to boulder road, keeping the bog water level below the tracks, and getting ready for summer operations, including cutting brush along the tracks.. our operating season is independence day weekend- labor day weekend (12,1,2,3), last weekend of september, and first weekend of october for foliage runs (12,1,2,3), and the second weekend friday and sat for the halloween special(7-9pm.).. other than the halloween train which runs on fri. and sat. we operatre on sat. and sun. only

NOTICE!!! if anyone has any questions about the OPERATIONS*** of this railroad, you can always e-mail the SLRR e-mail; [email protected] We are happy to answer any questions about the operations, and facts of this railroad.
Last edited by SilverLakeRailroad on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #675492  by shadyjay

There are other excursion railroads/groups on Facebook... so that's always an option. Never seen one on Myspace. I'm a member of both, but am addicted to Facebook. Some excursion rrs on there post upcoming events and users can "be a friend" and you can post events upcoming and such.

Free websites, you can get one through Lycos/Tripod.... you can get a domain name (pretty affordable once-a-year payment) such as http://www.(yourdomainname).com for easy remembering, or have a "free" domain name, but it would be something like http://members.tripod.com/(yourusername).
 #675606  by Otto Vondrak

slrr1 wrote:The reason we do not have a website is because we do not want to attract too many people on the ride, and turn people away, but this year we are planning to run a second train... only a possibility...
I'm baffled. How does this railroad stay in business if they don't want customers coming to ride it? How do people find out the schedule, the fares, where you are located? Why would you turn customers away?
so if anyone has any good ideas for free websites, that publish adds on google, we would be happy to accept your suggestion...
The Bartlett Roundhouse Preservation Club put together this web site for $20. The biggest expense was the domain name registration....

http://www.bartlettroundhouse.org
 #675798  by SilverLakeRailroad

Thak you shadyj... we operate a FREE, donation paid ride, 4 times a day... we are working on our train capacity problem with a second train... (a possibility only) This is a local railroad, paid for exclusivly by a private party.. We are currently attempting setting up a website: http://www.freewebs.com/slrr1/ this is being set up, but i do not know how to freely advertise, and would need assistance... Advertising Is a great idea, and would provide info to riders, but we are doing the best we can, but it seems senseless to pay in return for something we wont see back, and in turn, we truly dont need a site anyways... but i agree it is a good idea...
Last edited by SilverLakeRailroad on Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #675886  by Otto Vondrak

slrr1 wrote:and this is to otto vandrak... So please do not be ignorant here...
I'll be sure to tell Mr. Vandrak not to be ignorant next time he posts here.

-otto-
 #676416  by NHN503

I don't think what Otto posted has anything to do with ignorance on his part one bit. What it is is a prime example of why SLRR should have a good looking website. Its only $30 a year including domain from places like 1and1.com. Otto is from the NY area and the name Silver Lake Railroad implies that it is indeed a railroad when it is actually a ~30min railcar ride. With there nothing really publicly out there he properly assumed it was a real running railroad much like CSRR or Hobo because the name implies that it is such. With Otto being in advertising, its a safe assumption, and his suggestion on a website is more than reasonable since, with out the proper info provided he would assume that you guys were in the business to attract as many customers as possible to at least attempt to break even. In reality SLRR is a mans fascination with railroads and speeders and he has just offered the ability to ride to the public as a big fun toy and it is not a business.
 #676741  by SilverLakeRailroad

Otto Vondrak wrote:I have a million questions now, but I think I'll keep them to myself.
Please do ask these questions, for i may be able to answer them.. and that is the point of this forum is it not.. I am sure many people have the same questions... and otto brought out a good point to me.. i would like to say, that i DO NOT represent the railroad, i merely display our themes, and capabilities, and try to answer forum questions... thank you very much