Railroad Forums 

• Videography of BNSF Argentine yard in KC

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#239014  by MonroePoteet

I'll be in and around Kansas City in a few weeks visiting friends. I'd like to do some videography of the BNSF Argentine yard while I'm there. I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any suggestions of good locations (not on private property) for setting up to shoot the yard operations? It'd be nice to get overviews, ground level shots, etc. from various vantage points.

2) Does anyone have any experience with the attitude of local security / police toward railfans videotaping the yard? Is there a way to get some type of "press card" or something from BNSF to shoot the yard?

3) Any other suggestions for other railroad-oriented activities / yards / stations in the area to film while I'm there would be welcome as well.

Thanks,
mTp

P.S. If there's a better forum for this question, please let me know. Thx.

#239035  by pennsy

Hi,

Probably the best advice for any potential "security" problems is keep your eyes open and be aware of what is around you. Observe carefully those observing you. I have sometimes had the camera inside my coat, pentaprism removed so I could look directly at the ground glass picture, and I could snap off the shot without anyone observing me. Sneaky, but it certainly works.

#239349  by JLJ061

There are two overpasses I have used to get shots of Argentine. One is Goddard Ave off Strong Ave just west of Hwy 69. It can give you some good views of the engine terminal.

Or if you want hump action there is 55th Street off Kansas Ave at the west end of the yard. There is also a small industrial road on the north side of the yard there you can use.

That is as close as I would get to the yard itself, but have never had any problems myself.
 #240469  by MonroePoteet

Thanks for the feedback!

mTp

#240483  by RailBus63

pennsy wrote:Hi,

Probably the best advice for any potential "security" problems is keep your eyes open and be aware of what is around you. Observe carefully those observing you. I have sometimes had the camera inside my coat, pentaprism removed so I could look directly at the ground glass picture, and I could snap off the shot without anyone observing me. Sneaky, but it certainly works.
I believe sneaking around and hiding your camera looks a lot more suspicious to a railroad employee or law enforcement officer than if you just have your camera around your neck for all to see.

Jim D.