Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#563265  by Darien Red Sox

Dose anyone have the stats on VIA's on time performance?
Thanks
 #563476  by marquisofmississauga

The latest on-time information I have is published in the internal magazine "Vialogue" which was passed to me by a kind VIA pensioner. This is "year to date" up to May.

System (excluding mandatory services) 61%
Corridor 62%
East 65%
West 22%

As for the definition of "on-time" I recall reading an article by VIA's CEO that on a short-haul train anything under 15 minutes late is on-time and on a long-haul the grace period is 30 minutes.
 #563491  by briann

Now, if Ontario Northland were to use Via's on-time performance grace period for their long-distance train (the Northlander), I estimate that Ontario Northland's on-time performance over the past year would be just a tad under 1% (using http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/Passenge ... status.htm)! And that even includes the 45 mins that CN added on to the southbound trip to avoid the figure dropping to under 0.1% :wink:
 #563696  by Darien Red Sox

That's better than Amtrak's:
ON TIME SYSTEM WIDE= 172 (16%)
AVERAGE DELAY SYSTEM WIDE = 55"

306 (34%) were 29" or less late;
248 (27%) were 30" to 59" late;
239 (26%) were 1' to 2' late;
112 (12%) were more than 2' late; and
9 (1%) had no arrival time shown.
Note though that that is without a grace period, but even if you give ALL Amtrak trains long and short distance the same 30" grace period that VIA gives their long distance trains you still have a 50% on time rating.
 #563859  by chriskay

Does anyone have any insight as to why on-time performance is so horrible for any of these carriers?
 #564010  by Ken V

The two main reasons for poor on-time performance of passenger trains in North America are traffic congestion (more waiting for freight trains) and deteriorating track conditions (slower speeds) depending on the route. Another key factor is aging passenger equipment (more breakdowns).