Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#370711  by George L.

I see that VIA Rail dropped the fare for the Snow Train - it's now only $93 one-way. Does anyone know why they changed tactic?
 #370949  by jp1822

Well a guess is that it is not drawing passengers and they dropped the price to try increase demand. Too bad, I was hoping VIA would continue to try and offer special trains like this. If this "experiment" doesn't work, not sure how many more "experiments" VIA will try like this.

I have always hoped VIA would get the Skeena back to Edmonton, rather than terminating in Jasper. I know that's been on VIA's wish list - or at least from their marketing perspective. VIA's marketing department wanted to be able to get the train's terminus moved to Edmonton due to this city population and access to airport etc. I thought this was going to be a go for the 2006 season after Rocky Mountaineer began invading part of the Skeena's turf and frequency of the Skeena during peak period was scaled back to 3 days a week.

Also, VIA's marketing department was also pushing for the Canadian to run 6 days a week between Jasper and Vancouver during the summer months. That also has not panned out. I often wonder if this would work not only for the summer - but also for the winter period. VIA often adds/drops sleepers at Jasper for the run between Jasper and Vancouver during the winter - as demand warrants. I know the system VIA pays for freight railroad access is a little different than from Amtrak, in that VIA also pays a "per car fee." Jasper to Vancouer is supposedly more heavily travelled on the Canadian route, so that was one of the reasons for adding/dropping sleepers at Jasper on the Canadian - and possibly for the 6 day a week proposal (smooth out passenger flow).

What is the consist of the Edmonton based Snow train - one each of Panorama car, diner, and coach? Or do they operate more than one Panorama cars and no diner?

#371346  by marquisofmississauga

I've seen a photo showing a baggage car and three Panorama cars. There is no diner; meals are served at the passengers' seats.
 #371378  by Ken V

George L. wrote:I see that VIA Rail dropped the fare for the Snow Train - it's now only $93 one-way. Does anyone know why they changed tactic?
$93.00 is offered as a "Special" fare. The "Supersaver" one-way fare on the Canadian between Jasper and Edmonton is also $93.00 (while the regular fare is $123.00 for both trains). It seems not much has changed after all.

(P.S. The "Special" fare for VIA #7 on March 23 is now sold out)

#386614  by NS VIA FAN

I was in Jasper skiing a couple of weeks ago and spent a few minutes at the VIA Station to see the "Snow Train Express". There appeared to be a good crowd in the first two cars but no one in the last car.

VIA #8, April 1, 2007
Jasper to Edmonton
6448 F40
8616 Baggage
1722 Single Level Dome Coach
1721 Single Level Dome Coach
1720 Single Level Dome Coach

The previous afternoon the Skeena arrived from Prince George. It was turned on the wye and backed onto the rear of the Snow Train where it was stored overnight.

Here's a link to a few pictures:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1851156

No snow in Jasper but plenty in Marmot Basin 2000' up above the town. Lots of signs around Jasper advertising the Snow Train. At Marmot VIA sponsors the Kids Centre and there's a VIA Panorama Room in the Base Lodge.
 #386782  by jp1822

I'd love to see the Skeena extended to Edmonton, as opposed to its current terminus of Jasper. I thought VIA had this as a "done deal" for the 2006 season. But obviously the only thing that panned out was the reduction of frequency in peak season from 4x per week to 3x per week. I know VIA's marketing department wanted to get the Skeena into Edmonton due to the large city population base and access to the airport. For one thing, they felt they could capture the tourist market better for the totem classes.

The Snow Train obviously dabbles in this territory with one round trip a week. Not sure if servicing of the Skeena could be easily shifted from Edmonton to Jasper or not. Not even sure how much "servicing" the Skeena gets in Jasper (other than cleaning and a maintenance check by the powers that be), but Edmonton also has a large CN freight yard (if that means anything)! An extra VIA diesel unit could always be kept at Jasper, as is often typical for either backup for the Canadian or Skeena. The Skeena into Edmonton would further bolster this train's fantastic scenery through the Canadian Rocky Mountains.