Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#805634  by warwgn3

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, but not new to train travel. Are there any VIA Rail Employees on the forum? I'm curious about a few things that I've been wanting to know, and hopefully someone from VIA or a hard core rider can satisfy my curiosities.

But First... Has anyone taken the Chaleur to Gaspe QC? I'm going to be taking the trip with my family, on July 11th, with 4 single cabin's, and would like to know of anyone else gas made the journey, and what their experience was. Any particular place that we "must see" while there? I'm really looking forward to to this trip, as this will be my 1st time riding in Budd Equipment in 25 years. Last time was on the Ocean when I was 3 years old, and I don't even remember the trip.

The last trip we took was to Quebec City in Sept 2009, and I had a wonderful time. Train ride was excellent and we spent a lot of time in the Renaissance service car "bar car". The food was yummy, service, hospitality and friendliness was top notch. Even the lost items is was impressive. On the return trip from Quebec City, my cell phone fell out of my pants with the belt clip while at Quebec station. Had the VIA Employee not brought my phone back to me while I was on the Renaissance train bound for Montreal, I would have never known I lost it until it was too late. On the same trip, we forgot a ball cap on the Renaissance train, and tried to retrieve it when it was time to board the Ottawa Bound LRC. We couldn't find it in time for our departure, but They sent the ball cap on the next train to Ottawa and we got it back an our after our train arrived.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Cheers
Doug Corrigan
 #807088  by jp1822

it was somewhat disheartening to read this report on the Chaleur. I know it was an "off-season" trip but still, this is not the Chaleur I remember traveling just over two years ago. I think the Chaleur has a lot of potential, but now that VIA has downgraded the dining service (which was superb even when "full service" with the Skyline Car) I have to wonder what VIA intends to do next. Lets hope the summer season sees full service dining - be it with a separate Dining Car or in the Skyline Dome Car's "dining section."

The journey from Matapedia to Gaspe is really a remarkable sea coast journey by rail that I would highly recommend. But like the Ocean now days, perhaps I'd only recommend taking this train during the summer or peak season when full dining may be offered on the Chaleur (Montreal-Gaspe train) and a Park Car is included in the Ocean's consist to facilitate "touring class." VIA's even downgraded the Skeena (Jasper to Prince Rupert train) as far as I am concerned by moving the Panorama ultra domes over to the Canadian (to be operated on the Canadian between Edmonton and Vancouver). The Panorama Car really made "Totem/Totem Deluxe/Tourist Class) worth while on the Skeena. VIA seems to be concentrating its efforts on the Canadian and Ocean these days while letting other overnight trains go by the wayside.

Let's hope something positive is done with the Chaleur - largely with the dining experience. And as always, this train should really operate separately from the Ocean during peak season so they could potentially add on a full service Diner, additional Chateau sleepers and even a Park Car so the Skyline Car doesn't get over-whelmed. VIA had nearly all this in place, except the Park Car about two years ago, and then the line suffered from a bridge washout and the line closed for about a month. VIA should have an extra Park Car to spare for the Chaleur (it just needs one for its tri-weekly train set) - even with the Ocean operating with a Park Car during peak season. Park Cars are used on the Canadian trainsets (4 in rotation), Ocean (3), and Skeena (2) during peak season. So adding one to the Chaleur would bring the number of active Park Cars to 10. VIA often will rent out the Park Cars as a private car on corridor services. I forget home many are "active" now days.
 #807092  by electricron

jp1822 wrote: VIA should have an extra Park Car to spare for the Chaleur (it just needs one for its tri-weekly train set) - even with the Ocean operating with a Park Car during peak season. Park Cars are used on the Canadian trainsets (4 in rotation), Ocean (3), and Skeena (2) during peak season. So adding one to the Chaleur would bring the number of active Park Cars to 10. VIA often will rent out the Park Cars as a private car on corridor services. I forget home many are "active" now days.
Per this web site, http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail ... t/park-car , VIA has 14 Park cars....
8702 Assiniboine Park
8703 Banff Park
8704 Evangeline Park
8706 Glacier Park
8707 Kokanee Park
8708 Kootenay Park
8709 Laurentide Park
8710 Prince Albert Park
8711 Revelstoke Park
8714 Strathcona Park
8715 Tremblant Park
8716 Tweedsmuir Park
8717 Waterton Park
8718 Yoho Park
 #807216  by Tom6921

VIA also has ex BC Rail observation car Pavillion which has yet to see service.
 #807220  by marquisofmississauga

The train formerly known as the Chaleur is a delightful train, especially when: A) it actually operates to and from Gaspe, and B) when it offers dining car service. Although I can't find it now on VIA's Website, there was a promise to reinstate the chef and offer a dining car service in the summer season and during the Christmas holidays. At least there is now hot meal service after a few months of snacks only. I have not been on the train since the re-heated hot meals have been introduced so I can't comment on the quality. But I have read that they are similar to what is served in the Renaissance diners on the Ocean - they have the same supplier - so they should be of reasonable quality.

A friend of mine was planning on sampling the new meal service on a recent trip. Upon check-in with the service manager at Central Station he asked if he could have dinner served in his bedroom - or "cabin" in current VIA-speak. (He is a senior and had a sore foot and just didn't feel like eating in the Skyline diner.) The answer was no. He asked if he could hobble up to the Skyline car and carry the meal back himself and again he was told no. So he bought some goodies at some of the shops in the station and a half bottle of wine and had dinner in his room. He later e-mailed VIA and was told that he should have been served his dinner in his room on request. This lack of good service is most unusual. The crew have always been great on my trips on the train.

A new schedule is in effect for the train. The current paper timetable shows #16 departing Montreal at 18:15, arriving in Gaspe at 12:16; and # 17 departing Gaspe at 1430, arriving in Montreal at 08:42. The new times for #16 are: departing Montreal at 18:25, arriving Gaspe at 12:25 and #17 departing Gaspe at 15:00, arriving in Montreal at 09:05. Perhaps this little extra time for the turnaround in Gaspe will cause there to be less short-turning of the train in New Carlisle. The train doesn't have to be very late for VIA to throw passengers out of their comfortable coach seats or sleeping car accommodations and on to "alternate transportation." I have not been short-turned, but once had to make a longer trip from close to Gaspe down to Campbellton squished on a bus and I can tell you the scenery is much better when viewed from the dome of the Skyline car!
 #807565  by jp1822

Tom6921 wrote:VIA also has ex BC Rail observation car Pavillion which has yet to see service.
Actually, this car or Glen Frasier would be perfect for the Chaleur (as a lounge perhaps for sleeping car passengers being it would be tacked on the rear of the consist). I think Pavillion would have to have another means of egress somehow put in. Recall that the Park Cars technically have the "rear" back center door that could be used in case of an emergency. Wasn't that one of the issues with VIA trying to operate this car? VIA sort of "got it" as part of the purchase it made with what VIA now calls the Panorama cars, which also came from BC Rail. It would be nice to see the Chaleur get some "class" added to it after some downgrades in the meal service department, which are hopefully a temporary thing. VIA seems to be concentrating its efforts on the Ocean and Canadian for long haul passengers, forgetting that tourists and especially local Canadians use and rely on trains like the Chaleur and Hudson Bay train. Typically I've encountered more "Canadians" on the Chaleur and Hudson Bay train than tourists. Let's hope VIA remembers to keep a train that once had class going on the Chaleur and Hudson Bay and doesn't try to emulate Rocky Mountaineer's taste of catering to "tourists only." Come on VIA - more to your service than the eastern corridor services and two of your long distance overnight trains - the Ocean and Canadian! Notice how the later trains never gave up their "train names" either.
 #812537  by warwgn3

I finally have a chance to reply. Thanks for the reviews and trip reports of the Chaleur. I can't wait to take the trip with my parents and brother, In Mid July. A couple of things I've been wondering:

Does the train have a place to watch a movie? I just got the Silver Streak movie in the mail, and thought it would be funny and ironic if we were able to watch it while actually on the train.

We're not sure if our Chaleur will be joined with the Ocean between Montreal and Matapedia... if it is, would Chaleur passengers be permitted to walk through the Ocean section to get to the park car, and likewise for Ocean passengers to have access to the Chaleur section?

How does VIA Build their trains? Are the cars and engines assigned certain routes for, and rotated through the roster at regular intervals? Or are they just thrown together at random?

I know that for safety reasons, there's no way I could hope to get a short cab ride, but would it be "okay" if I asked about just handing my camera up to the crew, and taking video for me? probably a long shot, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

During our trip, We will be connecting to the Chaleur, via an LRC from Ottawa. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that LRC's need a "bar car"? I have found it difficult to sit still with the excitement of a train ride, and every now and then, need to stretch my legs (even for just a short 2 hour trip). Are LRC passengers actually allowed to walk through the entire train? Sometimes I feel like I'm confined to my seat in the one car, much like a plane or a bus, and would like a better reason to get up other than to use the bathroom.

Cheers
Doug
 #812748  by timberley

I can answer a few of your questions:
warwgn3 wrote: Does the train have a place to watch a movie? I just got the Silver Streak movie in the mail, and thought it would be funny and ironic if we were able to watch it while actually on the train.
While they do sometimes play movies in the Skyline car, it will be whatever movie they happen to have, and passengers cannot play their own movies. If you want to watch it, you'd need to bring a portable DVD player or laptop.
warwgn3 wrote: We're not sure if our Chaleur will be joined with the Ocean between Montreal and Matapedia... if it is, would Chaleur passengers be permitted to walk through the Ocean section to get to the park car, and likewise for Ocean passengers to have access to the Chaleur section?
No, there is no access between trains. Can you imagine the headache that would cause crews, making sure everyone is on their proper train when they separated at Matepedia? (Even if they allowed access, it would be difficult to do considering there is a loaded baggage car in between.) So you will be on the same consist of the Chaleur, whether the Ocean is attached to it or not.
warwgn3 wrote: How does VIA Build their trains? Are the cars and engines assigned certain routes for, and rotated through the roster at regular intervals? Or are they just thrown together at random?
For the East coast trains (Chaleur and Ocean), there are multiple sets of equipment in rotation. The Ocean has three sets, I think the Chaleur uses two (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). These sets stay relatively consistently made up, just adding extra cars during peak seasons. For example, I have ridden the Budd equipment on the Ocean several times over the past two years (in the winter season), and it has been the same coaches, diner, skyline, and most sleeper cars. The only exception was after the derailment at St. Charles-de-Belchasse, after which the diner, skyline, and some other cars had been swapped out. In the corridor, trains are made up more or less of what is available at any given time. Still, certain sets of cars will typically be kept together, for simplicity's sake. Many trains will simply use the same set of equipment unless cars need to be changed out, added, or subtracted.

Locomotives tend to be assigned by region. All P42s operate in the corridor. Outside of there, low-numbered F40s have traditionally been used in the East, and high-numbered F40s in the west. This has not been entirely consistent though, especially as the units are being rebuilt. Each locomotive normally has a set maintenance "home" (ie. some are based out of Montreal, others out of Vancouver, etc.).
warwgn3 wrote:I know that for safety reasons, there's no way I could hope to get a short cab ride, but would it be "okay" if I asked about just handing my camera up to the crew, and taking video for me? probably a long shot, but wouldn't hurt to ask.
The chances of getting a cab ride are pretty much nil, but handing up your camera....well, it would really depend on the crew and the particular day. Your best luck with that would be during the off-season, but not so good in mid-July. It never hurts to try, although you may be met with a rude response, depending on who is on that day.
warwgn3 wrote:During our trip, We will be connecting to the Chaleur, via an LRC from Ottawa. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that LRC's need a "bar car"? I have found it difficult to sit still with the excitement of a train ride, and every now and then, need to stretch my legs (even for just a short 2 hour trip). Are LRC passengers actually allowed to walk through the entire train? Sometimes I feel like I'm confined to my seat in the one car, much like a plane or a bus, and would like a better reason to get up other than to use the bathroom.
I agree that the LRCs could maybe do to have a service car of some sort. Although if they did, they might be run like the Renaissance sets are, where only VIA 1 (sorry, that's now "business class") passengers actually have access to the car.

You are allowed to walk through the train. I don't know that they'd like you walking through the business class cars, but you may walk through the rest of the train. Just remember not to go switching seats, since they do take note when you get on as to where you're going, and put a tag over your seat.

Well, I suppose that was actually all of your questions, to some degree at least!

Hope you enjoy your trip. I haven't taken the Chaleur, but I am a frequent traveller on the Ocean (next trip in July!), so I'm sure you'll be in for a great time!

Cheers!
 #812761  by NS VIA FAN

timberley wrote: No, there is no access between trains. Can you imagine the headache that would cause crews, making sure everyone is on their proper train when they separated at Matepedia? (Even if they allowed access, it would be difficult to do considering there is a loaded baggage car in between.) So you will be on the same consist of the Chaleur, whether the Ocean is attached to it or not.
Splitting and combining trains was once very common and passengers were always allowed full access through the train to use a diner or lounge not available in their section prior to or after the trains combined or split. Someone being in the wrong section never really seamed to be an issue.

For example CN, CP and later VIA transcontinental trains would have Montreal and Toronto sections that would split or combine at Caperol (CN) or Sudbury (CP). Night trains would drop sleepers in the wee hours that could be occupied until morning. And here in the Maritimes, the Ocean, Scotian and Chaleur had sections or through cars that were dropped or picked up at Matapedia, Campbellton, Moncton and Truro.

Here’s the Ocean which carried through cars to Sydney. (Westbound, the through cars were in the Scotian from Truro. Likewise.....the e/b Scotian carried the through cars to Gaspe and the w/b Ocean picked these cars up in Matapedia)

CN #14 Ocean arriving Truro NS on Jan 12, 1975

6763 FPA4
6622 F9B
3126 RS18
9071 Baggage
9667 Baggage
9485 Baggage Dorm
5632 Coach
5395 Coach
5536 Coach
754 Café Lounge
5712 Day Niter
Sleeper: Campbellton
1362 Diner
Lounge: Carnival
Sleeper: Greenmount
Sleeper: Greenbush

At Truro, five of the above cars were dropped and added to
CN #18 for Sydney

3664 RS18
3864 RS18
15416 Steam Generator Car
9667 Baggage
5712 Day Niter
754 Café Lounge
5536 Coach
5436 Coach
9071 Baggage
 #812876  by warwgn3

Tim,

Thanks for taking the time to satisfy my curiosities..... For the Ottawa-Montreal LRC leg our Gaspe trip we will be in Comfort Coach class, so I guess I won't be able to walk the entire length, but for the rest of the trip, we will be in Sleeper Class on the Chaleur, with meals not included, and for the Montreal-Ottawa Return LRC, we will be in Business class

When we're on the Chaleur, we'll be in 4 roomettes/cabins for one, presumably on a Chateau car. Are the roomettes the section of the car that have the staggered windows on the outside? I guess one cabin is floor level, and the neighboring cabin is a couple of steps up?

I assume there's no way to tell which Chateau car car we'll be sleeping in until we actually board the the train? our online print out says Car 1631 and car 1731.

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't ridden on Budd equipment since my Mom and brother took a Rip-Off Trip to Halifax on the Ocean in 1984, when I was 3 years old, but I don't remember anything, so this trip might as well be my 1st Budd train ride.

What's your Departure date for your Ocean trip? Maybe we'll be on the same Ocean/Chaleur train to Matepedia? We will be taking the Chaleur on Sunday July 11th.

Cheers
Doug
 #812887  by NS VIA FAN

warwgn3 wrote:When we're on the Chaleur, we'll be in 4 roomettes/cabins for one, presumably on a Chateau car. Are the roomettes the section of the car that have the staggered windows on the outside? I guess one cabin is floor level, and the neighboring cabin is a couple of steps up?
Yes, the Roomettes have the staggeraed windows. Here a link to the VIA equipment site.......click on "360 degree photos" for interior views.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail ... eeping-car
 #813181  by timberley

NS VIA FAN wrote: Splitting and combining trains was once very common and passengers were always allowed full access through the train to use a diner or lounge not available in their section prior to or after the trains combined or split. Someone being in the wrong section never really seamed to be an issue.

For example CN, CP and later VIA transcontinental trains would have Montreal and Toronto sections that would split or combine at Caperol (CN) or Sudbury (CP). Night trains would drop sleepers in the wee hours that could be occupied until morning. And here in the Maritimes, the Ocean, Scotian and Chaleur had sections or through cars that were dropped or picked up at Matapedia, Campbellton, Moncton and Truro.
That is true, but regulations these days make such maneuvers more difficult. Additionally, since the Ocean is just tacked on directly behind the Chaleur, there is the issue of a fully loaded baggage car in between the last Chaleur sleeper and the first Ocean coach. That baggage car is not properly equipped for safe passage of passengers, and letting people walk freely through the area where people's checked baggage is being held is not wise (in terms of baggage security).

In this case, there would only be two advantages to Chaleur passengers being allowed on the Ocean.....access to the diner, and the Park car. The diner is generally swamped enough as it is with passengers from the Ocean, so letting passengers from the Chaleur also eat there would be a challenge. Also, the Park car is reserved for Sleeper Touring (formerly Easterly) class passengers. Since other passengers on the Ocean do not have access, allowing it for Chaleur passengers (who can't choose a class higher than Sleeper) would hardly be fair. Hence, the advantages to having access to both trains really disappear.
warwgn3 wrote:Tim, Thanks for taking the time to satisfy my curiosities..... For the Ottawa-Montreal LRC leg our Gaspe trip we will be in Comfort Coach class, so I guess I won't be able to walk the entire length, but for the rest of the trip, we will be in Sleeper Class on the Chaleur, with meals not included, and for the Montreal-Ottawa Return LRC, we will be in Business class

When we're on the Chaleur, we'll be in 4 roomettes/cabins for one, presumably on a Chateau car. Are the roomettes the section of the car that have the staggered windows on the outside? I guess one cabin is floor level, and the neighboring cabin is a couple of steps up?

I assume there's no way to tell which Chateau car car we'll be sleeping in until we actually board the the train? our online print out says Car 1631 and car 1731.

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't ridden on Budd equipment since my Mom and brother took a Rip-Off Trip to Halifax on the Ocean in 1984, when I was 3 years old, but I don't remember anything, so this trip might as well be my 1st Budd train ride.

What's your Departure date for your Ocean trip? Maybe we'll be on the same Ocean/Chaleur train to Matepedia? We will be taking the Chaleur on Sunday July 11th.

Cheers
Doug
Any time :)

I'll be heading down on the Ocean from Truro to Montreal on July 2nd, and back the other way on July 24th, so we won't be on the same train. Hope your trip is great! My trip is part of a cross Canada trip, which will involve meeting up with my family in Ontario to drive the rest of the way to Vancouver and back.

Cheers
 #813354  by jp1822

Chaleur - or the Montreal to Gaspe train - just operates with one train set, being it is a tri-weekly train set. But they can add and subtract cars at Montreal as needed. The "days of operation" for the Chaleur are aligned to allow for just one train set to be used. Hopefully patronage will be good this season to allow it to have a separate diner and up to three Chateau cars. Time will tell I suppose! I can recall that close to departure time - from either Gaspe or Montreal, the Chaleur can often get booked up in sleeper class from around the end of May through September! Lot of locals still use this train in/out of the Gaspe peninsula and Montreal. I met onboard a lawyer who worked four days a week in Montreal, and then spent three days at his "home on the peninsula" with family. He had an apartment in Montreal and relied heavily on the Chaleur for travel!