Railroad Forums 

• Van Cortlandt Park Station (Putnam Div)

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1196986  by Paul1705

The framework for the canopy of Van Cortlandt station is still there. In all the years since 1958 no one from the railroad or the Parks Department thought to remove it. I always expect to find it gone or collapsed (I've known about it since the 1960s), but not yet.

Was the next station down the line, Kingsbridge, just north of 225th Street? There's an area now used by a towing company that looks large enough to hold a station building and maybe a small plaza. A driveway goes down to this area from street level.
 #1197034  by BAR

According to my June 1930 Official Guide the next station south of Van Cortland was High Bridge followed by the Sedgwick Avenue terminal.

Bill
 #1197114  by Paul1705

I've seen some references to the station, as on this map. http://www.kinglyheirs.com/Palmer/Putnam.html#map The Wikipedia article on the Putnam Division also describes a station, called Kings Bridge, between University Heights and Van Cortlandt Park.

Maybe the station was closed before 1930, possibly because the IRT 225th Street station was nearby? I wonder how the Van Cortlandt station stayed open, because the 242nd Street IRT station was adjacent to residential areas (and nearby Manhattan College), while the Putnam station was convenient only to the golf course.
 #1197492  by Otto Vondrak

Paul1705 wrote:Was the next station down the line, Kingsbridge, just north of 225th Street? There's an area now used by a towing company that looks large enough to hold a station building and maybe a small plaza. A driveway goes down to this area from street level.
STATIONS SOUTH

- Van Cortlandt Park

- King's Bridge

- University Heights (joint with Hudson Div)

- Morris Heights (joint with Hudson Div)

- High Bridge (joint with Hudson Div)

- Sedgwick Avenue

STATIONS NORTH

- Van Cortlandt Park

- Lincoln (Yonkers)

- Dunwoodie (Yonkers)

- Nepera Park (Yonkers)

etc.

-otto-