Railroad Forums 

• US Army S-160s

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#970557  by steamer69

There has been a lot of play lately with Steam Services of America in possetion of #612 for restoration, and #611 in private hands in Maryland for restoration. Any thoughts on weather or not any of them will be put into Army colors again? I know that TVRM has no intention of puting #610 (actually and S-160A) back into army dress. It would be nice to see at least one of thoes engines back in Army colors.
 #977744  by FMFan

I thought I read some where (but could be wrong), that one stipulation of donated or sold military equipment was that it is was NOT to be repainted in military colors. Not sure of reasoning other than likely an obscure govrnmn't regulation. Anyone else?
 #978670  by RailVet

There are a great many things believed both within the military and outside of it that are not based on fact or reality. I too have heard the claim that former military locomotives can't be painted in their original military colors, but I've yet to come across anyone who can produce a federal law book stating this as a fact.
 #978821  by steamer69

I can't find anything here at work (on the army base) in any of the materiel I have access too that says they can't do it. Look at all of the other equipment put back into army colors like trucks/planes/jeeps etc. I think it would be great to have one back in Army colors.
 #978828  by RailVet

I used to be involved in Army rail operations and never encountered anything stating that former military rail equipment could not wear military colors. I think there is little enthusiasm for painting rail equipment in military colors because it is, in comparison to most civilian railroad colors and logos, on the bland side. Also, there are far more fans of civilian railways, which operate in the open, than military railways, which typically operate within the confines of a base and have little exposure to the outside world. Because of this, people prefer to paint a former military locomotive in the colors of their favorite civilian railroad.
 #978858  by steamer69

I agree, but we are loosing a huge part of the railroad heratige by not putting a little more stock in the military railroaders.
 #979528  by Aa3rt

In the event you're not aware of it, the Rochester and Genessee Valley Railroad Museum in New York State has an operating Fairbanks-Morse H12-44, #1843 in U.S. Army paint. Photo here:

http://rgvrrm.org/about/railroad/usa1843/index.htm

The National Transportation Museum in St. Louis also lists a number of ex-military locomotives in their collection, however I was unable to locate any on line photos during a cursory search. Follow the link and scroll down for a listing of former military diesels in the collection:

http://transportmuseumassociation.org/r ... _power.htm

Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for the former U.S. Navy caboose, still lettered for the U.S. Navy that is a part of the La Plata Train Station Museum, just about a mile from my house. The Navy Railroad that it ran on served the Naval Weapons Station at Indian Head, MD and was donated to the town of La Plata in recognition of the Navy being the largest employer in Charles County, MD. (The railroad itself was torn up in the last 5 or 6 years and is now one of those abominable hiking/biking trails.)

Here's a photo of the caboose while it was still in service in the early 1970's:

http://www.traingod.railfan.net/CK/USNcab.jpg

The caboose now sits "stuffed and mounted", still with its Navy markings, next to the station which serves as headquarters for the Charles County Historical Society. Here are some fairly recent photos. The caboose has been repainted since these photos were taken. The paint on the south side of the caboose faded badly due to the sun after it was put in place in 2002 and was repainted this past (2011) summer.

http://photosbydan.smugmug.com/Trains/A ... 8782_US2FR
 #979970  by steamer69

Thanks for the links! Some good stuff.
 #998498  by Earle Baldwin

The narrow gauge Pine Creek Railroad at Allaire State Park in New Jersey operates a former Army GE 25 ton unit. It still wears its military livery:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1689440

Conversely, I was told when two Baldwin diesels formerly operated on the Navy's NWS Earle Railroad in New Jersey were donated for preservation, the organizations receiving the units - the URHS and RRMPA - were told a condition of the donations was that the scheme to be worn by the locomotives while in possession of the new owners could not reflect their prior government ownership.
 #998599  by RailVet

I look forward to the day when someone finds something in writing that states surplus military rail equipment must not retain its military paint scheme and number.
 #999430  by steamer69

Railvet,
I don't think there is anything in writing. I have looked. Now that being said, it is very believeable that a condition of the donations could be that the equipment is not put into Army colors, but that would not prevent a future owner from doing it (AFAIK).

Just thought people here might like to know that an S160 is going to be going into Main Line service. The Alaska Railroad has been donated their #557 and is shipping her back to be restored for service. See below.

http://www.columbiabasinherald.com/news ... 963f4.html
 #999581  by RailVet

Something a new recruit often belatedly learns after enlisting in the military is that, if he or she didn't get something in writing in his or her enlistment contract, but instead only had the assurances of a recruiter, then the promises have no value and carry no weight, and the new enlistee is S.O.L. This is the guiding principle for any dealings with and within the military. Likewise, any Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO) excessing military rail equipment is not guided by the whims of whomever is in charge that day, but instead by military regs and federal law. If a piece of military equipment can not be kept in its original paint scheme, the recipient will be informed why and a reg or law cited.

Instead of being blocked by the military or the feds from leaving excessed rail equipment in military colors, I've found that people and organizations prefer to repaint the equipment in the colors and logos of their favorite civilian railroads. The few fans of military rail equipment are vastly outnumbered by fans of civilian railroads, and if the latter are able to obtain a retired piece of military rail equipment, they will almost invariably repaint it in the colors of the railway company they prefer.