Railroad Forums 

• Update: Nasby train speeds

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#245824  by matt

Hey everyone in Toledo. As expected, train speeds on the Chicago line at 292 have increased since the removal of the Toledo Terminal diamonds. It took a little while but yesterday I took my radar "gun" (actually, it's a little device that I use to gauge the speeds of the serves hit by the tennis teams that I coach) and I caught a westbound grain train pass at 54 MPH and today an eastbound manifest passed at 50 MPH. It was somewhat shocking to see, but a pleasant return to the days of Conrail.

Can anyone inside the railroad confirm an increase in speed thru here?

Thanks.

#245938  by esprrfan

Posting a trains "speed" that you "radared" while may be of interest to some can cost others their jobs. :(

Now I'm not trying to offend anyone, just asking fellow fans to keep that in mind. :wink:

On NS Van, Stack and Autoracks are authorized 60, Everything else can go up to 50 provided they don't have a restricted speed car in the consist.

Ofcourse the speed limit is controlled by the section of track your on.
Last edited by esprrfan on Mon May 15, 2006 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#246066  by matt

Thanks, howeva (as the kids say), its those breaking the rules, and perhaps the law, who get themselves fired. Not the guy in the field with the Wilson Sports Hand-Held 2000 :-) .

Good info, much appreciated.