Railroad Forums 

• UP salary and hotel during initial training?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#25167  by 90MPH

UP salary and hotel during initial training?

Got my fingers crossed for an interview invite. Does the UP pay for your single hotel room during training? What is the pay during training?

Does the UP use a graduating pay scale (start at 75 or 80%) like some railroads have used in the past, or do they start out at 100% pay for 100% work performed.

Thanks.
 #25172  by LCJ

As an instructor for UP newhire classes, I've been told that the rate of pay for training depends on prior company (like SP, MP, DRGW) agreements for training. They said you wouldn't know for sure how much you'd be paid until you get your first check.

I know -- I couldn't believe it either, but that's what the training people in SLC said. They told me that timekeepers don't mess with training, so trainers don't get involved with pay rates. Uh huh.

Hotel is covered by direct bill, meals are paid with one check for the whole 3 weeks, so spend it wisely!

And -- study at least 2 hours every night! Learn the signal aspects and indications, using the flashcards they give you, as soon as you can, working with a buddy on them every day.

Leave your party shoes at home, 'cause if you go out much, you'll lose out. Fail any final and you have to take it the very next day, no matter what other finals you may have that day. Fail any one test twice and you're on the way home.

#40160  by SteelWheels21

I just got hired on in Portland, OR. Classes start the 23rd. Here's the deal:

Anyone living within 45 miles of the training site is responsible for their own room and board. Anyone outside of 45 miles is reimbursed for room and given a 26 dollar per diem for food. Note I said REIMBURSED. You pay and you are credited on your paycheck.

The first three weeks of class are paid "minimum wage" (we get ten bucks an hour). It's all classroom GCOR training. Once you pass this period, your probation starts and you get paid 75 percent of your conductor rate. On BNSF this works out to between 7-800 a week. They pay the same amount from start to finish of their training.

Good Luck!