Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific - New Hire training Q & A

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1268960  by tellem

Hello all,

I understand getting into the railroad is a very big and nervous step you heard alot of stories, some good, some bad. But all in all they must of been good since you decided to join.

I'm here to share my experiences about new hire training for Union Pacific. Specifically the first 4 weeks you have to go through before you start your training as a switchman/brakeman.

this is how the process goes from Application to end of Derail.

1. Apply for the job.
2. Invited to reading test session.
3. Invited to interview (at this point all the other applications you applied for will be revoked for Union Pacific.)
4. tentative offer (Must accept offer and complete paperwork within 24Hrs, background check is started at this time)
5. Physical Abilities test (Able to lift, bend, lift)
6. Medical Physical
7. Start new hire training (4 Weeks)
8. OJT for brakeman/Switchman (4-6 weeks)
9. Conductor training (3 weeks)
10. Conductor OJT (4 weeks
11. Remote engineer course (3 weeks)
12. Remote OJT (4 weeks)
13. Derail/Probation (2 months)

Again I'm not getting to in depth with everything under the hood. I just want you to see the steps to take to begin a successful career with the railroad.

I'm just here to talk about what to expect your first few weeks, how to act, How to dress, and whats it like. I'm NOT here to help you pass test, or give you any other upper hand than any other student. but, to prepare you mentally for the demand of the educational portion of the class.

So please start asking away and I'll answer them as I see them.

Please try to give as direct questions as possible and I'll try to give you the best answers I can.
 #1269017  by militaryhorn

That's a lot of training. I am about to start with BNSF in June and the training that was laid out for me was only for 13 weeks.

2 weeks of classroom
6 weeks of yard work
1 week of classroom
3 weeks of conductor OJT
1 week for preparing for the final test

I don't know if there is additional training after the certification test. They did not go into that at the orientation/interview back in January.
 #1269920  by MichaelB86

I'm currently in Brakeman/Switchman OJT at Union Pacific. It's good stuff. My only gripe is the pay for the first 4 weeks is garbage. Especially when you are paying for a place to stay, it's real tough. But for BIT the pay is 85% of whatever that brakeman on that particular job pays. You could get lucky and nab a sweet job with some old heads that pays the brakeman $350 and you'll make 85% of that. It's nerve racking though how the old guys do things not particularly the right way and you're the new guy having to do EVERYTHING the right way because you can get canned for the slightest infraction out there.
 #1270829  by militaryhorn

You start at 75% and gain 5% each year until 100%, at least at BNSF that is the way it is. Although, my friend who works for them now told me depending on what job you have working at a yard will determine which pay scale you are for the day. Meaning, there are certain positions that pay 100% and not the reduced amount under 5 years of employment.
 #1298980  by railroader2527

Hello all,

I am a brand new railroader beginning my new hire training for Union Pacific on November 3, 2014. I am quite nervous and want to do well. What are a few tips or strategies to make sure I pass all of my in class exams?
 #1299411  by mllaw23

railroader2527 wrote:I am a brand new railroader beginning my new hire training for Union Pacific on November 3, 2014. I am quite nervous and want to do well. What are a few tips or strategies to make sure I pass all of my in class exams?
I start training November 3rd as well. What location did your hire out of? I hired on with UP/Saint Paul.
 #1302249  by railroader2527

mllaw23 wrote:
railroader2527 wrote:I am a brand new railroader beginning my new hire training for Union Pacific on November 3, 2014. I am quite nervous and want to do well. What are a few tips or strategies to make sure I pass all of my in class exams?
I start training November 3rd as well. What location did your hire out of? I hired on with UP/Saint Paul.
I hired out of Kansas City, MO. So far so good, top of my class; I study about 4-5 hours every night. How's it been so far?
 #1302938  by mllaw23

So far so good just passed the track warrant exam. I haven't gotten below 90% on anything and Im study 3-4 hours daily. I'm enjoying so far ready to get in the field and get started.