Railroad Forums 

• Union Pacific Application Times

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1143630  by sharik2073

I was wondering how long applications with Union Pacific usually take before one should expect some sort of a responce. I have an application with them for Roseville, CA since december 5th and still have not heard anything about it. I assume this means I wasn't denied yet. Was just wondering how long before I should expect some sort of a reply.
 #1154049  by NewGuy2013

For the record I applied for San Jose in September, sat in limbo for about a month, interviewed in October, got a call from the HR rep saying I wasn't being declined but the class was being pushed back, then got a call to start training in January.

It all varies on the needs of the business and HR getting the training classes lined up. You will get a robo call from Omaha, NE notifying you to check the website because your status has changed. Then you will see dates for interview sessions to choose from. Go to a group info session/individual interview and your status will change to NO if they aren't hiring or the website will give drug/background check tests to schedule.

If you get hired you will go to 4 weeks (M-F) of classroom training. It is pass/fail at 85%, the pay will be $10/hr, and if you're training more than 50 miles from your hire location they will give you a $1350 check to rent a hotel for the whole four weeks. Pass the initial training and you will do OJT at or near your hire location. Pay is 85% of whatever the job pays so for locals/yards it is from $170-$200 a day usually. Then you go back to advanced conductor class(2 weeks), they will furnish your hotel if required, get paid 85% of a basic day (about $160 I think). After that you will do RCO training in classroom and on the job. Total training is 14 weeks, first 4 weeks the pay is peanuts but then you earn the same thing you will working your first year: 85% of whatever the job pays.
 #1156254  by sharik2073

I am worried, my Roseville, CA application still says "We are currently reviewing your application". I am just worried about missing an interview or something. It has been over three months now and still no word at all. I don't mind waiting, I just worry about missing an interview invitation. Anyone know if this is common for UP or other railroads, having an application sit for three months with no updates?
 #1158977  by supernova1972

Stop worrying. If you get on at the railroad you will have a lifetime of waiting and wondering. If you get worked up over this, you may not want a job being on call 24/6.

And crap, only $10/hour for classroom training? And I thought CSX was bad.
 #1159196  by NewGuy2013

"We are currently reviewing your application" means it is still on file and you haven't been shot down. In those cases you will get "We are unable to offer you a position at this time".

And yes, it appears to be totally normal for a job to post, you to apply, then sit and wait for weeks or months to hear anything. The HR interaction at UP is a bit dodgy... they really don't tell you what to expect. For example I didn't know about rate of pay or duration of training until I actually got to training, then my instructor had to make a call to find out. After scheduling medical and physical tests I didn't speak to an actual person until the day I arrived at class. Before that I only spoke to a person the 1 day I interviewed. Everything is handled via the online site and robo calls.

But your application is still active. If you check the UP jobs site you will see openings pop up and go away literally day to day then reappear some time later. I'd like to know the logic behind their staffing, but it would probably blow my mind. Hang in where you are, keep hope alive, and all that stuff.
 #1257129  by izzymovin

Hi,
I just applied for SJ.
Were you ever able to work in San Jose or nearby? Did they make a spot on the SJ board for you?
Did you do your classroom training in Roseville?

Thanks a lot!
 #1259802  by barlog

I applied for a small location dec 11th. I am still waiting also. I haven't even taken test on prometrics website. I called and I haven't missed anything, still being considered.