Railroad Forums 

• Un-serious: Bizarre questions and answers

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#104174  by JeffK

Things have been pretty down-to-earth recently with the funding circus and all, but I happened to see the following on the (in)famous SeptaSucks.com site:
Here's a sampling of the dumb questions I've heard, and heard of, over the years:

Q. Do you go anywhere near the El? (Now, this may not sound like a dumb question until I tell you that the man who asked it was standing on my Route 3 bus at Front & Dauphin - UNDER THE EL!)
A. I leaned forward, looked up, pointed up and said: This is as close as I get.

Q. When do da bus come? (Submitted by a Subway cashier)
A. If the bus comes down here, we're all in trouble.
With that as a start, what are the strangest questions, comments or exchanges you've heard from other riders and/or from SEPTA personnel? A few that I've encountered:

Q: WOW! I didn't realize Oxford Valley Mall was so huge! Could you tell me where [x] department store is?
A: No idea, sir. This is King of Prussia.

Q: I need a ticket to Wayne
A: We don't go to Wayne, ma'am
Q: But this is the Bryn Mawr station, isn't it?
A: Yes
Q: But all the trains from Bryn Mawr go to Wayne, don't they?
A: uuhhhh ... we're not at that Bryn Mawr station

Q: (from a rider standing at Norristown's Elm St. station during Railworks) What time is the next train?
A (me, just happened to be using the parking lot as a place to trade cars with my wife) October.

Q: How can the switch be frozen? It's 80 degrees outside!
A: (unprintable)

OK, this next one misses SEPTA by 3500 miles and it's translated, but I've heard it enough while travelling that it's worth a repeat. If you know any high school French at all it'll be funny:

Q: (American to Paris taxi driver) Could you please take me to the war in the north? (*)

(*)The words for "war" (guerre) and "train station" (gare) differ by only one shift of a vowel sound

#104252  by ctrabs74

One of my favorites...

A person stands outside waiting for the 104 bus (or any bus for that matter). When the bus pulls up, the passenger boards the bus through doors which are next to a digital sign that says "104 69TH STREET TERMINAL" then proceeds to ask "Excuse me, is this the 104?"

Replace 104 with any bus line, and you get the same reaction...

#104273  by Silverliner II

Makes you wonder how some people make it through the day, eh?

#104347  by JeffK

Silverliner II wrote:Makes you wonder how some people make it through the day, eh?
Should give pause to anyone who doubts that Darwin was right. :-D

#104449  by Silverliner II

After reading all three editions of The Darwin Awards, I have no doubts at all, LOL!

#104538  by Sir Ray

So what you guys are saying is... sometimes there is such a thing as a stupid question... :P

#104587  by Silverliner II

Sir Ray wrote:So what you guys are saying is... sometimes there is such a thing as a stupid question... :P
LOL....well.....sometimes!!

Especially if it is a question while standing on the platform at Allegheny Station on the Broad Street Line like this:

"Scuse me....does the local train stop here?"

LOL!!!