• Tucson, AZ on-board shooting

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/p ... ene-monday

In short: DEA agents and Tucson police were conducting a drug sweep on 2/422(3), about to arrest a suspect when another suspect opened fire, killing one DEA agent. Another rushed in and was shot at. Officers responded with regular and SWAT personnel. 1 suspect dead in a bathroom, 1 arrested, 1 DEA agent died, 2 agents/officers injured. All staff and uninvolved passengers evac'ed to the station.

Amtrak has terminated the train in Tucson, AZ.

Well, two consists down...
  by J.D. Lang

I saw that VR video footage yesterday. Scary stuff. Unfortunate.
  by STrRedWolf

J.D. Lang wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:41 am I saw that VR video footage yesterday. Scary stuff. Unfortunate.
Yeah, I saw it myself before I opened the thread. No actual person-being-shot-dead action but still... I didn't feel comfortable posting it given some mods here, and it was late at night. Better to post local news who probably filtered the feed just in case.
  by John_Perkowski

Bottom line up front: If the drug trade is sending mules on the Sunset, it’s off my list.
  by daybeers

Really, John? A shooting is an extremely rare event on a train. Maybe the DEA should've waited until the person disembarked before approaching.
  by STrRedWolf

daybeers wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:12 pm Really, John? A shooting is an extremely rare event on a train. Maybe the DEA should've waited until the person disembarked before approaching.
This was random sweep. I doubt they knew who the person was and what his intent was.

That said, Virtual Railfan showed the salute to the fallen DEA agent in the first two minutes of the latest Grabbag video. Video is from their remote camera vantage point, so you really don't see much. Everything else is regular railfanning fare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B34E6jc0BUE
  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:46 pm Bottom line up front: If the drug trade is sending mules on the Sunset, it’s off my list.
They'll use any means of transportation. Cars, planes, trains, boats, submarines, walking, etc. I wouldn't strike Amtrak off the travel list for that. I wouldn't be surprised if they had lied on a boxcar's contents and shipping bags of it from the border by freight.
  by eolesen

It's a fact of life down there. Lived in TUS for many years. Time to finish the wall and make it more difficult for the drug runners.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by StLouSteve

My two cents: DEA and ICE should not have unfettered access to Amtrak trains. They intimidate passengers and delay trains. At worst, innocent passengers will be injured or killed.

Let them do their work on the ground, not in the small confines of the train.
  by eolesen

Let's put TSA screening in place at all train stations, so you won't have to worry about guns on trains... (sarcasm)

by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:25 pm It's a fact of life down there. Lived in TUS for many years. Time to finish the wall and make it more difficult for the drug runners.

I won't derail the topic with how many ways they can get over, under, and around said wall... and how many lands said wall splits. Lets keep with the shooting.
  by John_Perkowski

Admin note

Your mods, admins, and owners are watching. We will intervene if we need to.