Railroad Forums 

• Tripods

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#830180  by JhnZ33

SEPTAR3kid wrote:I am currently searching for a new tripod for video use. I want to keep it cheap but I don't want to sacrifice too much quality. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Whatever you buy, make sure it has a "fluid head". A fluid head will give you smooth motion while panning, tilting or turning and will be quiet. A non fluid head will cause jerking when panned, tilted or turned and will likely make noise during movement.

JP
 #830419  by mrtransportation

If want a good tripod look at Bogen Manfrotto & Gitzo if want the best equipment out there. I know Gitzo might cost you descent amount of money, but Bogen/Manfrotto sister brand of Gitzo which is cheaper but just as good to own. I know from my own experience that bogen is very good. I have a bogen 3021 tripod that very good work horse and yes it has Arca Swiss B-1 Ballhead, but you need fuild head like JhnZ33 said the other post. I know Bogen now being called Manfrotto has alot of tripods for camera and video cameras that will fit what looking for now. I know they give specs on the weight that each tripod can support with heads or without head on them and other specs as well. One thing I will pass on to you is do not skip on camera/video support. I mean on good tripod because you could go and buy something cheap. But I will tell this if you think it is a great tripod that you bought until oneday you setup your video camera or camera and then your tripod breaks, falls apart, one of your support legs breaks or does not work when you want that great video of something interesting that you saw. If you need any help feel free to send me message and be glad to help you.
Here few sites you go that will help you. Might want to look up ebay or craigslist for something used if can not buy new one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com this good place look at prices and what good brands that are out there and do have fuild heads as well. There are other sites I tell you to,but have get links for you if like.
http://www.manfrotto.com
http://www.Gitzo.com
 #833871  by TheJollyRailfan

I also recommend one with a built in bubble level becuase if you pan and your tripod isnt level your pan will be all over the place and while some might not notice it, its irritating when you know it happens :wink: .
 #833922  by mrtransportation

Hi TheJollyRailfan,

Good point TheJollyRailfan. Which I forgot to meantion was bubble level built within tripod legs or can be attached to top of tripod thread works also. But if you have one for your camera's hotshoe will work too if came has one. :wink:
 #834224  by Tony Clifton

mrtransportation wrote:Hi TheJollyRailfan,

Good point TheJollyRailfan. Which I forgot to meantion was bubble level built within tripod legs or can be attached to top of tripod thread works also. But if you have one for your camera's hotshoe will work too if came has one. :wink:
Don't most transit systems ban the use of tripods, follow the law. Don't steal photos and do not use tripods.
 #834378  by mrtransportation

Hi Tony Clifton,

You make good points, but we were talking about tripods and equipment related only. Not what is allowed or not allowed by transit systems. This I will point out to all if you can not use a tripod on transit systems then you can get and use monopod, verticle grip or use tripod in public areas that are not on there platforms or on there property if not allowed to use tripods. I don't know the laws with use of tripods or monopods for different transit sysems.
 #834542  by Ken W2KB

mrtransportation wrote:Hi Tony Clifton,

You make good points, but we were talking about tripods and equipment related only. Not what is allowed or not allowed by transit systems. This I will point out to all if you can not use a tripod on transit systems then you can get and use monopod, verticle grip or use tripod in public areas that are not on there platforms or on there property if not allowed to use tripods. I don't know the laws with use of tripods or monopods for different transit sysems.
Most of the regulations I have read that proscribe tripods also proscribe monopods. Unfortunately.
 #834594  by RedLantern

If you're in a pinch and just need something cheap, I got a Targus tripod at RadioShack for 15 bucks. This thing is really cheap and kinda wobbly, but I have a sand bag that I tied to the center post and it seems pretty sturdy. The swivel is just plastic and it's pretty bad for motion shots, but for stills it works great. I kinda like shooting videos without moving the camera, it would be nice to have a better tripod that I can turn on a dime, but this thing's so small and light that I can have it all set up and ready in about 5 seconds, which is good when you're trying to beat the train to a good spot.

I'm not rich enough for a really high quality setup, my camera is just a Flip UltraHD ($150 at staples) with a 37mm 2x wide angle lens superglued on to the front of it. It's not perfect and isn't much to look at, but it's the quality of the shot that matters, not how cool you look standing behind it.