Railroad Forums 

• Travel Advisory: Multiple Events in Sports Complex This Tuesday

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1631378  by AlexC

https://www.wellsfargocenterphilly.com/ ... is-tuesday
Below is the schedule of events set for Tuesday night:

Tuesday, October 17
  • Philadelphia Flyers vs. Vancouver Canucks at Wells Fargo Center at 6 p.m.
  • Mexico vs. Germany Men’s National Team Soccer Friendly at Lincoln Financial Field at 8 p.m.
  • Philadelphia Phillies vs. Arizona Diamondbacks, Game 2 NLCS at Citizens Bank Park at 8:07 p.m.

SEPTA will be offering free rides on the Broad Street Line to and from NRG Station courtesy of Budweiser and Bud Light. Free rides will start at 5 p.m. and continue until the last train of the night; fans are encouraged to go directly to NRG Station after the games to ensure they get their train home.
 #1631577  by MACTRAXX

AC and Everyone: With events at all three Sports Complex venues the Broad Street Line will be an important
access for Philadelphia sports fans - roads and parking in the area will all be at or above capacity...

I am estimating 45,000 for the Phillies playoff game and 18,000 for the Flyers home opener...
The questionmark is the attendance for the soccer match between Germany and Mexico at LFF...

It will be interesting to see how the BSL handles the expected high ridership this evening with the
free rides courtesy of the Anheuser-Busch Corporation from 5 PM until closing...MACTRAXX
 #1631589  by AlexC

My daughter took the trolley and BSL to the game.
Packed both ways she said.
Just before popping out of the tunnel at 40th street "there was a very loud thump then all the lights went out".
The operator had to go out and "fix something"

A friend drove down from Newtown for the Flyers game. Three hours one way!
 #1631616  by JeffK

AlexC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:46 pm Just before popping out of the tunnel at 40th street "there was a very loud thump then all the lights went out".
The operator had to go out and "fix something"
Possibly the pole dewired? Just speculating. [FWIW the replacements are depicted with pans. Finally!]
A friend drove down from Newtown for the Flyers game. Three hours one way!
YOW!
 #1631631  by AlexC

Yeah, I guessed a dewire as well. I dont know what else it could have been.

She didn't say anything about going down to the lower level.
 #1631669  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: The three major events on Tuesday October 17 drew a combined estimated attendance of
125,000 to the Sports Complex with the Mexico-Germany soccer match at Lincoln Financial Field the
largest event with around 60 thousand in attendance along with my correct mention of 45 thousand
at Citizens Bank Park (Phillies) and 19 thousand at the Wells Fargo Center (Flyers)...

I would not be at all surprised if all BSL tracks including the Lower Level at NRG/Pattison Station were open
and in use for added track and equipment layup capacity - the busiest peak was most likely for the return
northbound after the ending of each game - not collecting fares probably kept any station access lines
down to a minimum depending on the times that each event ended for fans leaving the SC area...

This Sports Complex attendance may have been one for the Philadelphia record books...MACTRAXX
 #1631728  by ExCon90

The real test is always st the end of the event(s): prior to the game people arrive spread out over several hours, but when it ends, everybody wants to get away at once. It would be interesting to know when the last of the special trains left versus when the last car got out of the parking lots.

Edit: A further thought is that SEPTA was running its regularly scheduled local and express service while all this was going on, and since the express tracks don't extend south of Walnut-Locust they have to dispatch a sports express just ahead of a scheduled local so as not to catch up to the previous local. But they're used to it--all in a day's work.